• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Free Press reader feedback

Started by Russell Kanning, August 24, 2006, 04:30 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

BDS = Bush Derangement Syndrome.

The belief that President George W. Bush is deranged and has been running the country from a state of insanity. Normally used by far right wingers, who assert that Bush is completely sane and knows exactly what he's doing.

Personally I'm not sure which of these possibilities is more frightening.

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

I am sure Tim will appreciate quick responses to his letter. :)

Russell Kanning

I have a new letter from Roger. Do you want us to post a picture with that? :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 08, 2007, 11:06 AM NHFT
I have a new letter from Roger. Do you want us to post a picture with that? :)

Use my new avatar... ;D just kidding. No thanks on the picture. :)

David

Yeah, I think Roger's avatar, might scare some of your readers.   :P
They might think hes' had a few too many mushrooms, and is a tye die birkenstocker wearin' pinko commie.   ;D
Just kidden'.   ;D

Tom Sawyer

Incrementalist

In this case, I would agree with Tim Condon.  Caleb has a right to his viewpoint as an individual, but he's on the staff of the newspaper, and in journalism it's poor form to invite letters and then snipe ones you don't agree with.  Let readers argue it out in LTEs, but as a part of the newspaper's organization it's Caleb's job to stay out of it.

John

My favorite part: "Caleb Johnson (whoever he is)."  That was great!

Who the hell is this guy Tim Condon from Florida anyway?   >:D
(Just kidding Tim.)

Caleb

QuoteIn this case, I would agree with Tim Condon.  Caleb has a right to his viewpoint as an individual, but he's on the staff of the newspaper, and in journalism it's poor form to invite letters and then snipe ones you don't agree with.

There are many contributers to the Keene Free Press that also write letters to the editor.  Ian comes to mind.  So does Nick.  So does Roger.  Why should I be in the unique position of not being allowed to write a letter to the editor?  I have no editorial say over what gets printed and what doesn't. To the best of my knowledge, the editress tries to print letters reflecting as many sides of an issue as possible, and Langan's letter was unopposed.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Incrementalist on January 10, 2007, 06:47 PM NHFT
In this case, I would agree with Tim Condon.  Caleb has a right to his viewpoint as an individual, but he's on the staff of the newspaper, and in journalism it's poor form to invite letters and then snipe ones you don't agree with.  Let readers argue it out in LTEs, but as a part of the newspaper's organization it's Caleb's job to stay out of it.
Thank you for your comment. I posted it on our website.
http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=395&Itemid=36

If you would like to change or add to your comment please let me know.

Incrementalist

Quote from: Caleb on January 11, 2007, 08:45 PM NHFT
QuoteIn this case, I would agree with Tim Condon.  Caleb has a right to his viewpoint as an individual, but he's on the staff of the newspaper, and in journalism it's poor form to invite letters and then snipe ones you don't agree with.

There are many contributers to the Keene Free Press that also write letters to the editor.  Ian comes to mind.  So does Nick.  So does Roger.  Why should I be in the unique position of not being allowed to write a letter to the editor?  I have no editorial say over what gets printed and what doesn't. To the best of my knowledge, the editress tries to print letters reflecting as many sides of an issue as possible, and Langan's letter was unopposed.

I'm not trying to single you out, Caleb.  If I ran a newspaper I wouldn't allow staff to write LTEs at all, except in the case of a staff member who disagrees with an editorial decision of the paper and wants his disagreement in print.  Yes, it's good for your editor to print letters from all perspectives, but it's bad when those letters come from staff members because despite your supposed lack of editorial say, to readers of your paper, you are an insider with priveleges and access that they don't have.  Let a reader speak against Langan's LTE, and if no reader wants to oppose it, then let it go unopposed, because that lack of response will encourage greater response in the future.