• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Gardening or Growing Crops in NH

Started by diamondlady1025, January 10, 2007, 07:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

diamondlady1025

Hi All!

Wondered if anyone out there has been successful in growing crops for sustainable living out there in NH.

I am trying to get info on this because I am looking at ways to do this year round in living out in NH. Any ideas?

Diamondlady

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: diamondlady1025 on January 10, 2007, 07:21 PM NHFT
Hi All!

Wondered if anyone out there has been successful in growing crops for sustainable living out there in NH.

I am trying to get info on this because I am looking at ways to do this year round in living out in NH. Any ideas?

Diamondlady

I have a couple of friends who make a living through farming in NH. They make their $$ mostly through livestock, dairy and eggs, but do grow most of their own food, and sell some in the warm months.  I think to live year round off only what you grow, in NH, you'd need to be very good at canning and have a very large harvest during the growing months.

greenhouse??

dawn

We had a very successful organic garden here last summer and look forward to more of the same in the future. It wouldn't qualify for sustainable living, but if you're hard working and know more about it than I do, I'm sure it can be done. A greenhouse and a root cellar should extend your growing season enough to make it work.

maineiac

Well, this winter, many folks are still tending tomatoes! ;D

No, but actually, my buddy up in Lancaster used to grow onions in his garden as big as softballs. He also salted the onion greens in vast quantities. You can grow in NH! (I think I mentioned on another post here about the guy we used to visit down somewhere in Newmarket who grew the bodacious herbacious! Inbefuckincredible!!  :-*

BaRbArIaN

Zucchini grow like weeds up here, as do pumpkin.  I've had some luck with hot peppers, but have to start them indoors.  Potatoes of course, cabbage, tomatoes, all good for this zone.    There is quite enough that grows here in the 3 useful seasons that one can live off them if they plant enough/trade enough.

JonM

I have some jalapenos sitting on my northern facing bedroom window (inside) in MA.  I started them from seeds almost 2 years ago, and they are still growing peppers right now.  There's even a few small plants that managed to seed themselves from some of the peppers I let mulch back into the soil.

Lloyd Danforth

People in NH have sustained themselves for hundreds of tears on what they could grow and raise.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 11, 2007, 07:45 PM NHFT
People in NH have sustained themselves for hundreds of tears on what they could grow and raise.

Crying up a storm for the water, heh?

Lloyd Danforth