• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Daily quotes

Started by Kat Kanning, March 23, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

The state — or, to make matters more concrete, the government — consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get, and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time it is made good by looting 'A' to satisfy 'B'. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advanced auction on stolen goods.

— H.L. Mencken, On Politics [1996]

J’raxis 270145

"The great bulk of the country is undoubtedly with Congress in principle and zeal; and their measures are executed with a secrecy and dispatch that are not to be equaled. Wherever the King's forces point, militia to the amount of three or four thousand assemble in twenty-four hours; they bring with them their subsistence, &c., and the alarm over, they return to their farms. The Hampshire Grants in particular, a country unpeopled and almost unknown in the last war, now abounds in the most active and rebellious race in the continent, and hangs like a gathering storm on my left ..." — General John Burgoyne, 1777

Rev. Ryan found that one. It's also up on the www.freestatechurch.org website until we get some real content up there.

Kat Kanning

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

H. L. Mencken

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Kat Kanning on August 18, 2008, 07:58 AM NHFT
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

H. L. Mencken

plbltbltbltbl,  :raspberry:
Reasonable laws are aimed at scoundrels, oppressive laws are aimed at the poor, stupid, ugly, and ill.
You want to defend scoundrels, become a political campaign manager.

Pat K

"In the Bowling Alley of Tomorrow, there will even be machines that wear rental shoes and throw the ball for you. Your sole function will be to drink beer." ~Dave Barry

K. Darien Freeheart

Cheers to Pat K. I'm gonna make that my signature on the Homebrew forum I frequent. :)

Pat K

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

Friday

"A strange game.  The only winning move is not to play."  -- the WOPR

Mike Barskey

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
- Krishnamurti

Kat Kanning

Mike Barskey

What is Ojai? The only Ojai I know of is a city in Central California (I did live near there at one point).

Kat Kanning

There's a Krishnamurti retreat in Ojai.

Mike Barskey

Ah. That is the Ojai I knew of. :)

Pat K

I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it worse.
Brendan Behan

Pat K

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat.
Alex Levine