• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Daily quotes

Started by Kat Kanning, March 23, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

"Here is the crux of the difference between education and schooling? the former turns on independence, knowledge, ability, comprehension, and integrity; the latter upon obedience."

From "Underground History of American Education" John Taylor Gatto

AlanM

"What was needed was some kind of halfway house that would train individuals for the halfway lives ordinary people would be more and more called upon to lead. In a utopia of machinery and steam, there could be free lunch for unprecedented numbers?but only if there were chains, bread, and water for the rest, at least for some unknown while. Plans for such a halfway institution as forced schooling (think of it as a training factory or a training mine) came together in Boston, Philadelphia, and New York, drawn by the best minds, for the best motives. They inflicted stupendous damage on the libertarian rights and privileges bequeathed to Americans by the nation?s founders."

From "Underground History of American Education" John Taylor Gatto

Annie

It would be much simpler if our present day politicos would be as open about things as this British Parliament member from Southhamptom from the 1700s was in a letter to his constituents upon leaving parliament after receiving complaints regarding an Excise Bill before Parliament:

Gentlemen,

I received yours and am surprised by your insolence in troubling me about the Excise.  You know, what I very well know, that I bought you.  And I know, what perhaps you think I don't know, you are now selling yourselves to Somebody Else; and I know what you do not know, that I am buying another borough.  May God's curse rest lightly upon you all: may your houses be as open and common to all Excise Officers as your wifes and daughters were to me, when I stood for your scoundrel corporation.

Yours, Etc.,
Anthony Henley

Seems like the more things change the more they stay the same.  Sounds like present day shenanigans to me, we just don't usually get it in writing.

Kat Kanning

Found this on antiwar.com:

God hates violence. He has ordained that all men fairly possess their property, not seize it.
? Euripides

vermass

I don't believe in god but what does he say about defending property. Another thing god sanctions a lot of violence in the first testiment!

Kat Kanning

In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place. - Mohandas Gandhi

AlanM

That's a good one Dawg!  8) So is Lloyd in the sit on the front porch and bark phase?  ;)

Ron Helwig

My dad is just glad to be done with the "slave in the sun" part. He's waiting for the barking part - it should be coming up in a couple years  ;)

Kat Kanning

This was from Heather James' sig line:

"Before you say, "There should be a law", stop and think. All laws authorize
government to use lethal force, at the end of a gun, to see them carried out.
Is the issue REALLY important enough that you want to enable the government
to kill people over it?"

Apply that to licensing laws!  If Mike Fisher has resisted being arrested over his manicure, they could have shot him.

KBCraig

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=58825

"Lynch's indecision is unbecoming in a governor. It makes us doubly glad that the even less decisive John Kerry was not elevated to the highest office in the land. One wishy-washy executive is quite enough."

Kat Kanning

"Real capitalists don't defraud."
           --Unknown

EZPass

"We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government."  James Madison

EZPass

He [George Bush] was born on third base, but thinks he hit a triple.

Ann Richards

Kat Kanning

Cowardice asks the question - is it safe?
Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
Vanity asks the question - is it popular?
But conscience asks the question - is it right?
And there comes a time when one must take a position
That is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;
But one must take it because it is right.

Kat Kanning

Dog's rule #1 for life:

Eat everything and then throw up what you don't want.