• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Daily quotes

Started by Kat Kanning, March 23, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable.
Be honest and transparent anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People who really want help may attack you if you help them.
Help them anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt.
Give the world your best anyway.
-Mother Teresa

Russell Kanning

Pat McCotter

"Bad men live to eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink in order to live." ~Socrates

Pat McCotter

It's true. Parents that use drugs have kids who use drugs. So there's an important lesson here. Don't have kids.

Pat K

"Now and then we had hope that if
we lived and were good. God would
permit us to be pirates."

Mark Twain

Lloyd Danforth

shyfrog

?"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern." - Lord Acton

Sunshine

"Don't be angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, because you cannot make yourself as you wish to be."
— Thomas à Kempis

Pat McCotter

My wife thinks I'm nosy. At least that's what she scribbles in her diary.

Pat McCotter

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft... and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.  ~Werner von Braun

shyfrog

"I am sorry to think that you do not get a man's most effective criticism until you provoke him. Severe truth is expressed with some bitterness."

~Henry David Thoreau

shyfrog

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

shyfrog

"Truly fertile Music, the only kind that will move us, that we shall truly appreciate, will be a Music conducive to Dream, which banishes all reason and analysis. One must not wish first to understand and then to feel. Art does not tolerate Reason."
~Albert Camus

Jim Johnson

I disagree with Albert Camus. 
Modern art does not tolerate reason. 
Great art is in total harmony with reason.

shyfrog

I feel that what a large portion of people consider great art is actually cold, calculated, reflective of reality, and quite predictable because it follows reason.
It shows the artist has technical merit and an understanding of the actual world, even when the piece is fictional (art, music, writing, etc). But it lacks the emotional impact I (and many others I know) desire in art.

Art that inspires, in my opinion, and pushes individuals to imagine something beyond reality, beyond reason, must first elicit emotional response. To try instead to understand it first - again in my opinion, my anecdotal experience, my mind - is to crush it and destroy the very thing it is meant to elicit: Emotion.

There are many anecdotal experiences I could relate, but it would probably be futile.

I disagree with Albert Camus over his absolutism (only, all, does not tolerate) more than anything else.