• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Daily quotes

Started by Kat Kanning, March 23, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

shyfrog

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." ~Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Edit: To clarify, Gandhi was speaking about the violent man as someone with the capacity for violence. One who can use, or has used violence and force, but chooses not to any longer. The impotent is the coward who hides behind the cloak of non-violence.

aod318

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." ~Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

That quote should be the start of a new thread.

shyfrog

"What we have to remember is that not everything is under our control. If people are free in any meaningful sense of the word, that means they are at liberty to foul up their lives as much as make something grand of them. That's a gamble we all take. That's the risk of liberty. Nobody wants others to screw up their lives, but each must be free to do so for themselves." ~Joel Miller

shyfrog

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." ~Helen Keller

Pat K

Some random touch-a hands imprudent slip-
The terminals-flash-a sound like "zip!"
A smell of burning fills the startled air-
The Electrician is no longer there!

Hilaire Belloc

shyfrog

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong." ~Ayn Rand

Pat McCotter

"I freed thousands of slaves, but I could have freed so many more if only they had known that they were slaves." -Harriet Tubman

shyfrog

"If nationality is consent, the state is compulsion."
Henri Frederic Amiel

shyfrog

The God who made New Hampshire
Taunted the lofty land
With little men

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ode to W. H. Channing

John

Not only does the action of Governments not deter men from crimes; on the contrary, it increases crime by always disturbing and lowering the moral standard of society. Nor can this be otherwise, since always and everywhere a Government, by its very nature, must put in the place of the highest, eternal, religious law (not written in books but in the hearts of men, and binding on every one) its own unjust, man-made laws, the object of which is neither justice nor the common good of all but various considerations of home and foreign expediency. "
—Leo Tolstoy, The Meaning of the Russian Revolution

shyfrog

"One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them" ~Thomas Sowell

Trust is utterly important to effective communication

Pat K

I'll trust ya on that.

Pat K

"Beware when government kisses your ass because your ass is where your wallet is."

ZooT aLLure on the mental militia board

Kat Kanning

I thought anyone who's tried to do anything in the FSP would appreciate this:

Theodore Roosevelt:

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

Lloyd Danforth

I remember all of those thousands of hours that I spent in grade schools watching the clock, waiting for recess or lunch or to go home.
My teachers could easily have ridden with Jesse James for all the time they stole from me. Richard Brautigan