• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Daily quotes

Started by Kat Kanning, March 23, 2005, 11:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

It could have been a promotion gimmick to sell more beer. You know how guys like to put out the fire after drinking beer.

free55

"Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army."
  - Edward Everett

:wav:

Russell Kanning

"A Russian should rejoice if Poland, the Baltic Provinces, Finland, Armenia, should be separated, freed from Russia; so with an Englishman in regard to Ireland, India and other possessions; and each should help to do this, because the greater the state, the more wrong and cruel is its patriotism, and the greater is the sum of suffering upon which its power is founded. Therefore, if we really wish to be what we profess to be, we must not only cease our present desire for the growth of the state, but we must desire its decrease, its weakening, and help this forward with all our might."

Leo Tolstoy, from "Writings on Civil Disobedience and Nonviolence," written in 1886.

Dreepa

'It was the question of what responsibility a righteous man owes to society'

Edmund Morgan writing about John Winthrop.

Russell Kanning

What did John Winthrop do?

Dreepa

Quote from: russellkanning on February 16, 2006, 05:13 PM NHFT
What did John Winthrop do?
Founded Massachusetts Bay Colony.
He left England (secession!) to find a better life for the Puritans.

Dreepa

'It is impossible to extricate oneself from the questions in which your age is involved. You can no more keep out of politics than you can keep out of the frost.'

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kat Kanning

:) 

BTW, I've been taking quotes from here for the Keene Free Press...to stick in little corners in the paper.

Kat Kanning

There's always someone telling you not to do something. The main thing is just to ignore them. - Tim Robbins

free55

"The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people
whatever they need to have done, but cannot do at all in their separate
and individual capacities."
  - assassinated U.S. President Abraham Lincoln
:notworthy:

KBCraig

Quote from: free55 on February 17, 2006, 09:57 PM NHFT

... Because in their separate and individual capacities, they can't suspend writs of habeus corpus, arrest opposing legislators, and invade free and sovereign states. I guess ol' Abe had a point.  :protest:

Kat Kanning

LOL, Kevin. 

Lincoln-worship = :puke:

Russell Kanning

I am glad we don't have to vote on everything we need to have done, but cannot do by ourselves.
Can you imagine our food being provided by the government and we had to vote for our choices?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: free55 on February 17, 2006, 09:57 PM NHFT

I, Pencil

Lloyd Danforth

When I first read this essay.......er, a million years ago, I set about to make my own pencil. I split up a piece of hickory and after turning a couple of pieces to ashes managed to make a piece of charcol. I made the fire using a bow with grape vine peelings as a bow, a stick and a piece of wood with a hole started in it by wristing the end of the same sharp rock I split the hickory with, back and forth till I had a hole near the edge of the piece of wood to spin the stick in. I split some shavings and a piece of cedar for the pencil's body using the sharp rock and a heavier rock, carved a groove for the charcoal and tied the whole thing together with more grape vine peelings, wet this time so they would shrink.
Well, after the better part of a day, spent mostly making the fire apparatus and charcoal, I had my fat ugly pencil and it didn't take a village or anything anyone else made to make it!
I gifted it to an attractive (HOT) economics professor from Hunter College.  It was worth it!