• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Trouble finding property with great wind

Started by zblr90901, January 20, 2007, 10:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

zblr90901

Which areas in NH are best for producing electricity via wind turbines?

I tracked down a windspeed chart/map/thing, it seems that NH has extensive useful wind in the White Mountains region, but after a LOT of calls to realtors, I haven't been able to find a place that ISN'T part of the White Mountains National Park for me to build my home.

So, does anyone know offhand of a particularly nice, somewhat secluded area where I can buy some land to build a home and throw up a few windmills? I don't need to generate megawatts, but 5-10 Kilowatts would be beautiful.

Lloyd Danforth

NH has the best place in the world for generating with wind, but, you can't build there

davek

Perhaps something near the State House?

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 20, 2007, 11:15 AM NHFT
NH has the best place in the world for generating with wind, but, you can't build there

Yup, it's a mite airish up there today. Blowing over 110 mph. Keeping tubines de-iced would be a bitch, though.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

Pat McCotter

Most wind maps you look at are too large a scale (small?) in that they don't get down to the scale needed for smal generators. They are designed mainly for large-scale generators.

Most anyplace you go that has hills/mountains will have some wind coming through a valley or up/down the face of the hill. For small generators you are looking at 15-25mph (7-11m/s) winds.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: davek on January 20, 2007, 12:36 PM NHFT
     Perhaps something near the State House?

LOL!

Keene's not the place to be.  It's rarely windy here.  Maybe an elevation chart of the state would help.

eques

Quote from: Pat McCotter on January 20, 2007, 02:22 PM NHFT
Most wind maps you look at are too large a scale (small?) in that they don't get down to the scale needed for smal generators. They are designed mainly for large-scale generators.

Most anyplace you go that has hills/mountains will have some wind coming through a valley or up/down the face of the hill. For small generators you are looking at 15-25mph (7-11m/s) winds.

Right, they probably measure prevailing winds at a certain altitude, far above what would be appropriate for a personal generator.

As for ice, wouldn't it be possible to divert some of the electricity generated to heat coils, or would that be too inefficient?  I mean, I know I wouldn't really want to climb up a 20-ft (or higher) pole to chip ice off of a fan on a blustery winter day.  That, and you'd have to at least have a thermostat of some kind so that it wasn't switched on unnecessarily, and I wouldn't have any idea of how to do that.

MaineShark

Quote from: eques on January 21, 2007, 11:07 AM NHFTThat, and you'd have to at least have a thermostat of some kind so that it wasn't switched on unnecessarily, and I wouldn't have any idea of how to do that.

You'd want a vibration sensor.  The biggest issue with the ice would be as it unbalanced the thing and risked damaging it.

Joe