• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Extremism

Started by Kat Kanning, January 04, 2005, 04:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

I'm wondering what you all think of this article?  http://www.mises.org/fullstory.aspx?Id=1709

Upon moving here, I was advised to fit in with the locals, learn about them, don't raise a ruckus, etc. etc. etc.  From my own observations of what happened when we tried something relatively extreme, the UN flag burning, and from reading this article, I'm thinking that the cautious approach is the exact opposite of what we ought to be doing.  "Who...will go to the barricades for a two percent tax reduction?"  As an example, I think it's totally awesome that Dawn is trying to improve the homeschool laws here in NH.  But she picked the utmost in moderate changes to attempt.  It's pretty tough to get excited about it.  Removing all restrictions on homeschooling, now that would have been something to shout about. 

So what do you al think?  Gradualism or extremism?

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

I think the suggestion about caution was meant for activity at the local level. Watch what goes on at Town Meetings, meet some folks, so, they will know we're not monsters, identify and work with the more liberty oriented people in the town.

The Flag Burning did not effect locals, except for the few who hold on to the fantasy of the U.N.
Try legalizing prostitution in Keene, or, burning down a park as an objection to privite property and see how well you are acepted.

We all agreed to come to the Free State to do our own thing. Gradualism will work for some of us and Extreemism for others.

Kat Kanning

Well, I wasn't really thinking about the live donkey sex type extremism.  I meant stuff that really matters to people, like getting rid of the property tax...stuff people could really get excited about.

Russell Kanning

What did you think of the article Lloyd? :)

Grunt

I do not subscribe to the "pander to the masses" mentality. When you spend most of your time hand-wrining over the possibility of "offending" anyone with extremism, you basically cave in to the political correctness of the age. I dont see the U.N. or ATF engaging in such lofty introspection, but THOSE groups are certainly on the outter cusp of extremism.

One of the things I see most often with groups that try the "big tent" concept is, they may indeed find themselves palatable to the "gnorance is bliss" population segment, but guess what?

All they have accomplish is filling thier ranks with mindless milquetoasts. Or worse, opening thier arms not to those who seek a better place, but fools who simply have nowhere else to go. These types are easily spooked by those actually motivated, dedicated, and ready to effect change. Thus leading to stagnation, personnel turbulence, and ultimate self-sabotage.

Washington and Jefferson may have indeed been level headed, but I doubt they sniped at Tom Paine from the sidelines in an effort to get him to be "less extreme". Let each member do what he or she thinks in right in thier own eyes. This will create a hydra synthesis that will only serve to make us more effective.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on January 04, 2005, 10:09 AM NHFT
Well, I wasn't really thinking about the live donkey sex type extremism.? I meant stuff that really matters to people, like getting rid of the property tax...stuff people could really get excited about.

No Live Donkey Sex?
Count Me Out!

jcpliberty

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 04, 2005, 04:10 PM NHFT
Well, I wasn't really thinking about the live donkey sex type extremism.  I meant stuff that really matters to people, like getting rid of the property tax...stuff people could really get excited about.

No Live Donkey Sex?
Count Me Out!

Lloyd! LOL

JP

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: russellkanning on January 04, 2005, 10:13 AM NHFT
What did you think of the article Lloyd? :)
Damn! You had to make me go read them! ?I've read the Rothbard piece before. I've got the book. ?The Robert he refers to early in the piece is Robert LeFevre, the first libertarian author I ever read. As, aparently, ?libertarians still do today, those those early guys harped on their differences instead of working together on the large amount the had in common and getting something done.

Again, I've got nothing against using extreme measures. ?I only wanted to point out that everyone has to work in their own comfort zone and to comment on someone not acting radical enough, or,....too radical seems.....wrong.

Lloyd Danforth

Well, I wasn't really thinking about the live donkey sex type extremism.? I meant stuff that really matters to people, like getting rid of the property tax...stuff people could really get excited about.

As Rothbard points out in the article, you don't ask for the end of a tax without asking for reduction in Government spending.
Pretty much all Nh has is property tax.  How we gonna get rid of it while there is still a Gov. beast to feed?

jcpliberty

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 04, 2005, 04:39 PM NHFT
  How we gonna get rid of it while there is still a Gov. beast to feed?

Dang Lloyd, here we were having a perfectly nice and useless theoretical discussion and you want to take it and do something practical with it.  Sheesh!   ::)

jcpliberty

Lloyd Danforth

Damn, I got the URL here on the post!
I wanted to include this earlier, but, could not find it.
This is an example of how the LP could adapt more extreme measures.
http://www.ncc-1776.com/tle2002/libe195-20021021-02.html

Grunt

Whoa! Now THATS extremism. MY kind of extremism. Best article Ive read in weeks.

Wasnt it something like 1% -/+ of the population that helped spur the Colonists to declare independence? They were hard at work long before the first shots were fired too.