• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Firearms for Females

Started by Beth221, January 24, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth221

Ok, so I have been researching as to what type of gun would suit me.  There are so many to choose from.  I have a limited knowledge of firearms, as i use to shoot when i was a kid, on a farm!  I am getting myself familiar with the rules and regulation with the state of RI, which I am currently living in.  I printed out the 38 page carry permit packet from the Attorney General, which included the policy, laws and a application.  After reading it, I was quite discouraged, it seems like a long process, which, can be denied for no given reason.  I can see people at this point, after reading 38 pages, just plainly giving up.   The application consists of "proper showing of need".  It would be easy if they asked me why i need a gun, and I would simply state, that I am execersizing my second amendment rights.  But they ask it in a different way, any mental illnesses, any legal name changes, arrestments, convictions, any any other name i go by, nicknames, alias... the questions go on and on.   Nevermind the fee for the application! 

So after doing all that paperwork, Now I need to figure out what type of gun will match my shoes!  I have basic questions, like what is the difference between a mm and a caliber? Bullets, hollow tip verses not hollow?  I cant remember back to by childhood of reloading bullets back on the farm...  A glock was suggested to me, but they seem kind of boarish and heavy to me.  I dont want the recoil to be too strong that I am afraid to use the darn thing!  Nor to i want a cap gun.  I do alot of hiking alone deep in the woods between NH and RI.  I usually carry a knife on me, but i cant see myself stabbing a rabid dog that is chewing on my leg.  I started caring a knife because i have had incounters with dogs, a gun would have been choice, but was underage at the time of the need to carry protection. 

If anyone has any suggestions as to what is a good all around female's firearm, it would be greatly appreciated! 

Beth from RI!!

cathleeninnh

I highly recommend the NRA basic pistol course as a refresher. You can probably find one for ladies like I did. Then you can ask questions and not be too embarrassed if color matching comments slip out.

And then go join Second Amendment Sisters. (they have a cool kitchen apron that I bought)

I chose a 38 special. Not too big or too little. Having fun at the range, too.

Cathleen

CNHT

Check Tony Lekas' courses at www.wilsonhillpistol.org and he can also advise you.

Beth221

Those are great suggestions!  Keep them comming, im learning so much!  Thanks Ladies! 

CNHT

Quote from: Beth221 on January 24, 2007, 06:11 PM NHFT
Those are great suggestions!  Keep them comming, im learning so much!  Thanks Ladies! 

I just noticed the nav bar was messed up and fixed it, and while I'm here, this is the sched for training with Tony:

http://www.wilsonhillpistol.org/events.php

Rosie the Riveter

I don't have my own but like to shoot hubby's little kaltec. It is small enough to fit really well in my hand and for some reason I have great aim and control with it.  I'll find out more about it and let you know the details.

Beth221

Thank you thank you!  I think the first thing i need to do, is try some out before I go jumping into a purchase.  Because I am going to be here in the little state of RI for the next 6 months, I am going to purchase in this state.  I hope I can find a woman's shooting club or something like that here in RI, but I have the feeling I wont, people dont seems to appreciate a good gun around these parts!  From what I have been looking at, I dont think I want a revolver, too much to fuss with in a time of extreme need?  Loading 6 bullets vs changing switching an empty mag?  Not that im planning on unloading a round on someone!!  Its all so up in the air!  Do they come in Pink?  Purple swirls with a glittery grip??  Im guessing no, But i think I am having too much fun with this!  Where is the best place to shoot in NH?  Any indoor ranges?  Thanks again for all the great info!  Beth

CNHT

Quote from: Beth221 on January 24, 2007, 10:02 PM NHFT
Thank you thank you!  I think the first thing i need to do, is try some out before I go jumping into a purchase.  Because I am going to be here in the little state of RI for the next 6 months, I am going to purchase in this state.  I hope I can find a woman's shooting club or something like that here in RI, but I have the feeling I wont, people dont seems to appreciate a good gun around these parts!  From what I have been looking at, I dont think I want a revolver, too much to fuss with in a time of extreme need?  Loading 6 bullets vs changing switching an empty mag?  Not that im planning on unloading a round on someone!!  Its all so up in the air!  Do they come in Pink?  Purple swirls with a glittery grip??  Im guessing no, But i think I am having too much fun with this!  Where is the best place to shoot in NH?  Any indoor ranges?  Thanks again for all the great info!  Beth

Manchester Firing Line is good but, if you happen to be in the middle between a shotgun and machine gun, you won't get much done if you have to ask your 'teacher' a question, LOL!

This is not just my opinion but I took a date there (or should I say he took me?) and he loved it.

The reason WHPC is so nice, is it's mainly PISTOLS...so you would likely not have as much noise around you.

penguins4me

I've taken a female friend or two out to one of the local shooting ranges on occasion, and my experiences suprised me. One person liked everything everything we'd tried up to, but not including, the big IMI Desert Eagle in .50AE (don't blame her - I shot it twice and that was more than enough for me). Another friend didn't care for the recoil of a Glock in 9mm, so, as you've stated already, it is best to try several out and pick one you like.

The nuances of the different calibers aren't so important to worry about beyond knowing that what is used in the firearm should match the type of ammunition exactly (well, there are even some exceptions to that with revolvers...). Here's a rough list of common defensive handgun calibers, from the lightest-recoiling to the strongest:

.25 ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, .38 Special, 9x19mm (also 9mm, 9mm Luger, and 9mm Parabellum), .40 S&W, .357 Sig, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum

One major caveat with semi-autos is that, while they do offer a lot of advantages over a revolver, one must be able to quickly troubleshoot more potential problems. Simply put, if you can quickly and easily load a rental pistol's magazines, load the magazine, rack the slide (with the pistol's hammer down, if applicable), and operate the safety, then you'll most likely be better off with a semi-auto and all the advantages they offer.
I have met a few people who have difficulty with one aspect or another of one or more specific models of semi-auto pistols, so, as you've mentioned, practicing with the specific type you're interested in before buying is very wise. :)

As for revolvers, I wouldn't suggest dismissing them out of hand because they are slower to load than a semi-auto with a full magazine: many companies make "speedloaders" for revolvers which can fill the cylinder with fresh ammo with just a twist of a dial.

-edit
The most important aspect to being a defensive gun owner, though, is practice! Practice accuracy, practice reloading, practice drawing from concealment (for those who carry concealed), practice failure drills, practice caring for and cleaning your firearm, etc.
Okay, I lied. The most important aspect is safety.

There's quite a bit of very good information covering a wide range of firearms-related topics over at Cornered Cat, all written by a lady, to boot!

KBCraig

I've let the ladies weigh in so far, but now that penguins4me has spoken up, I will too.  :)

The advice to take some instruction is very good. So is the advice to try out rentals, to find what fits you. Many ranges have "Ladies' Night", where you can learn from (and with) other gals. You might have to leave RI and go to CT, MA, or NH to find a range that lets you try a variety of handguns. Your call whether that's worth it if you can't find a good rental range with instruction in RI.

Quote from: Beth221 on January 24, 2007, 10:02 PM NHFT
I dont think I want a revolver, too much to fuss with in a time of extreme need?  Loading 6 bullets vs changing switching an empty mag?

The time of "extreme need" isn't when you're reloading. It's when you're unloading, bullets first. On that point, revolvers win, hands down. They're the original "point and click interface".

Revolvers also win when it comes to stoppages. There is no "failure to fire" drill with a revolver; if it doesn't fire because of bad ammo, you just pull the trigger again. Compare that to the "tap-rack-bang" drill required if a semi-auto doesn't fire.

Revolvers never* have "failure to feed" or "failure to extract" problems. No jams or stovepiping.

My wife isn't a "gun person", although she likes shooting and believes in having guns for self-defense. Her first pistol was a Makarov, which is a very finely made semi-auto. First shot is double action; following shots are single action. It has a safety/decocker. She learned to shoot it, but was never comfortable with it; it's fairly complex for a newbie. Then I bought her a 2", five-shot, .38 Special revolver. She loves it! There is nothing to remember: point and pull the trigger.

The vast majority of defensive gun uses are successful without a single shot fired. Just the appearance of the gun makes most Bad Guys remember that they have a pressing engagement elsewhere at that exact moment, which they'd forgotten until you reminded them. Those DGUs with shots fired are almost always settled in 1-3 rounds, sometimes 5. They almost never involve reloading. Engagements where multiple magazines are emptied are limited mostly to cops, who have a notoriously low hit ratio, and a much higher ratio of shooting innocent bystanders.

Remember the first rule of gunfighting: have a gun. (Actually, that's second; the real first rule is to be somewhere else when the gunfight happens. Sadly, we can't always pick the time and place.)

Meeting Rule One means having a gun you're comfortable having with you at all times, one you're confident you could use. If you're not a devoted shooter spending lots of hours on the range, the best bet is a double action revolver, followed by a double-action only semi like a Glock or Springfield XD.

QuoteDo they come in Pink?  Purple swirls with a glittery grip??  Im guessing no, But i think I am having too much fun with this!

Actually, colors are available. In lightweight titanium or aluminum framed guns, anodized colors are common, especially in those models marketed towards ladies.

See if any of these ring your bell:

And remember, unless your gun is a polymer-framed semi-auto, the grips can always be changed out for something more appealing, in a wide variety of exotic woods or synthetics.

Welcome to the Underground, and good luck with picking a gun of your own!

Kevin

*Disclaimer: revolvers almost never jam. Some ultra-lightweight .357 Magnums, made of Scandium or Titanium, have such harsh recoil that the bullets can "back out" from the case, causing unfired rounds to jam the cylinder and stop it from turning. This is very rare, but when a revolver does jam up, it becomes a rock and/or club. Sticking to .38 Special will ensure this doesn't happen. From a 2" barrel, the .38 will perform almost as well as the .357, but without the vicious recoil and huge fireball.

Pat K

I like the 2nd Taurus with the gold accents and wood grip.  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on January 25, 2007, 03:45 AM NHFT
I like the 2nd Taurus with the gold accents and wood grip.  ;D

It's good that you're letting your feminine side show. Just watch out for those hormones!

Beth221

OMG!!!  Pictures of pretty guns!!!!  heheee!  OK, that was alot to soak in on my lunch break, if i didnt have to go back to work..!  I cant wait to get home tonight, and review all the great posts you all have supplied me with!  Thanks, Happy shooting!  beth

Lloyd Danforth

All the pretty guns and suggestions are nice. One inportant thing to remember is whenever you are in a situation where there is any chance that you will need to protect yourself, have the gun in your hand with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 25, 2007, 11:42 AM NHFT
All the pretty guns and suggestions are nice. One inportant thing to remember is whenever you are in a situation where there is any chance that you will need to protect yourself, have the gun in your hand with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.

I can't cock the hammer on mine