• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Firearms for Females

Started by Beth221, January 24, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth221

Hey, I want all the attention, I am the one with the crack in my ass!! literally!!  i got a fractured tailbone!  thanks for the warm wishes, and the bad butt jokes.  im currently laying on my side, with the laptop on the floor, hanging off the sofa typing. boy the blood is rushing to my head!  time for more drugs!!! :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Beth221 on January 31, 2007, 01:05 PM NHFT
Hey, I want all the attention, I am the one with the crack in my ass!! literally!!  i got a fractured tailbone!  thanks for the warm wishes, and the bad butt jokes.  im currently laying on my side, with the laptop on the floor, hanging off the sofa typing. boy the blood is rushing to my head!  time for more drugs!!! :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
!

Hee, hee! Don't fall off the sofa!  If your still awake what do you want to talk about, besides dentists of course! ;D

MaineShark

With regards to the legalities of firearms ownership/carry, Packing.org has pretty good information on state firearms laws.

With regards to revolvers versus autoloaders, I'll just reiterate the point that, while an autoloader can fail more easily than a revolver, it can also be repaired in the field more easily.  As has been said, a failed revolver is just plain dead.  Throw it at your attacker and hope for a nasty bruise.

Well-maintianed, neither will fail on you.  And, if you're really worried, carry two.  Or three, if you like.  Personally, I can probably mess up someone's compass readings at twenty paces...

Rights atrophy if not used, just like muscles.  If someone comes at me with the "guns kill people" line, I don't go on the defensive.  I just say, "yeah, what's your point? as long as my guns only kill bad people, what's it to you?"  There's the apologetic "guns are only tools, not weapons" line that some people will take, and that's certainly true of some guns (Olympic target rifles, for example), but I don't carry guns because I might stumble across a range and want to punch some paper.  I carry guns because I might have to fire one to defend my life, or the life of another.

My guns are weapons.  I have never drawn one on someone who wasn't an imminent threat to my life.  I have never even been tempted to do so.  And, when someone was an imminent threat, I didn't hesitate.  And, if you are going to carry a firearm for self-defense, you need to be able to do that.  If you hesitate, the bad guy will have you, and he'll get your gun(s) as a bonus.  The psychology of self-defense is far more important than the weapon.  A .22, actually fired into an attacker, is imminently more effective than a .357Mag sitting inertly in a holster.  All the training time in the world is wasted if the only thing you train on is how to hit paper targets at 10 yards from a rest.  You need to train in drawing the gun, bringing it up on target, and firing without a slip-up.  Being able to nail the X isn't as important as getting a round into someone's center of mass, and quickly.  Call it a 6" circle.  Anything within that is fine.

But, above all, you have to be able to do it.  Think about it long and hard.  Not just logically and philosophically.  Sure, we all agree that self-defense is a human right.  Certainly, most here can quote the zero-aggression principle from memory.  But can you, emotionally, look into an attacker's eyes from three or four feet away, draw a hangun, bring it to bear on him and (if he doesn't instantly freeze and then slowly back down) shoot him dead?  Sure, your goal is to stop him, not particularly to kill him, but if you've trained well and are using decent ammunition, those two are likely to be one and the same.  Do you believe in your heart that you can do it?  Only you can answer that question.

Hopefully, you'll always be thinking on it, and never have to learn for certain.

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: MaineShark on February 10, 2007, 06:51 PM NHFT
With regards to the legalities of firearms ownership/carry, Packing.org has pretty good information on state firearms laws.

Sadly, PDO is falling quickly out of date. Most of the state pages haven't been updated in a couple of years. Mark Solomon (the owner) has been something of an absentee landlord. He popped up last August to announce he was entering law school, and had no time for administration (quite understandable). He asked for volunteer state administrators. He had plenty of response, but the volunteers never heard anything from him.

So, don't rely on anything as presented on PDO, but do take advantage of the links.

A new, actively maintained resource is Handgunlaw.us.

Kevin

Jack Zeller

To Beth221,

Yours are good questions, but depend on your size, what you want the firearm to accomplish, and what you can afford. If you buy new, an adequate caliber for protection will cost at least 300.00 bucks or so, to mid-range 600.00. MM and caliber mean the same thing, just one is in inches, and mm is in metric. 9mm is essentially the same caliber as 38 spl or 357 mag. If you are diminitive or have especially small hands, the Kel-Tec 9MM or .380 caliber is an excellent buy. A step up both in quality and cost, is the Kahr 9mm. If you are a large handed/bodied femaile, the Glock 19 or 26 are excellent. Since you will want to conceal it, stay away from the .38 specials or other revolvers - they tend to be thicker, and have less ammunition capacity. If you recieved a fair amount of practice and have good weapon handling skills, the Ladysmith in 9mm from Smith and Wesson is a reliable and sturdy firearm.
Once you pick the gun and caliber, then you need to carefully decide which bullet to carry in it. I can help you there as well.
Do not let the bureaucracy and 38 pages stop you. Do the app, and appeal it if turned down. Join the NRA. I do recommend the NRA basic pistol course, it is excellent. If you need further help or information, I am at jzeller@hotmail.com. Jack

powerchuter

Quote from: MaineShark on February 10, 2007, 06:51 PM NHFT

With regards to revolvers versus autoloaders, I'll just reiterate the point that, while an autoloader can fail more easily than a revolver, it can also be repaired in the field more easily.  As has been said, a failed revolver is just plain dead.  Throw it at your attacker and hope for a nasty bruise.

Well-maintianed, neither will fail on you.  And, if you're really worried, carry two.  Or three, if you like.  Personally, I can probably mess up someone's compass readings at twenty paces...

Rights atrophy if not used, just like muscles.  If someone comes at me with the "guns kill people" line, I don't go on the defensive.  I just say, "yeah, what's your point? as long as my guns only kill bad people, what's it to you?"  There's the apologetic "guns are only tools, not weapons" line that some people will take, and that's certainly true of some guns (Olympic target rifles, for example), but I don't carry guns because I might stumble across a range and want to punch some paper.  I carry guns because I might have to fire one to defend my life, or the life of another.

My guns are weapons.  I have never drawn one on someone who wasn't an imminent threat to my life.  I have never even been tempted to do so.  And, when someone was an imminent threat, I didn't hesitate.  And, if you are going to carry a firearm for self-defense, you need to be able to do that.  If you hesitate, the bad guy will have you, and he'll get your gun(s) as a bonus.  The psychology of self-defense is far more important than the weapon.  A .22, actually fired into an attacker, is imminently more effective than a .357Mag sitting inertly in a holster.  All the training time in the world is wasted if the only thing you train on is how to hit paper targets at 10 yards from a rest.  You need to train in drawing the gun, bringing it up on target, and firing without a slip-up.  Being able to nail the X isn't as important as getting a round into someone's center of mass, and quickly.  Call it a 6" circle.  Anything within that is fine.

But, above all, you have to be able to do it.  Think about it long and hard.  Not just logically and philosophically.  Sure, we all agree that self-defense is a human right.  Certainly, most here can quote the zero-aggression principle from memory.  But can you, emotionally, look into an attacker's eyes from three or four feet away, draw a hangun, bring it to bear on him and (if he doesn't instantly freeze and then slowly back down) shoot him dead?  Sure, your goal is to stop him, not particularly to kill him, but if you've trained well and are using decent ammunition, those two are likely to be one and the same.  Do you believe in your heart that you can do it?  Only you can answer that question.

Hopefully, you'll always be thinking on it, and never have to learn for certain.

Joe

Hi Beth,
You've met Joe and I before at Kevin's place.  We both torture compasses pretty much full time.  Joe is right about the most important issue, and that is...will you actually be able to defend yourself or will you freeze up in disbelief that this is happening to you?  The time to find out/think it out...is now, not when an immediate threat exists.

When you're ready I'll train you with everything from a .22 mini-revolver on up to sub-machineguns for just the cost of equipment, ammo, and range time.  After that you will have the knowledge to select the defensive sidearm that works best for you.

Rob

Dan

She got the best possible gun-instructor now: Her dad, who was happy has hell to hear his daughter wanted a sidearm.  We go to the range this weekend with a literal truckload of variety in firearms.

Slightly duplicitous because we are trying to get him to come to porcfest.

powerchuter

Quote from: Dan on March 28, 2007, 08:13 AM NHFT
She got the best possible gun-instructor now: Her dad, who was happy has hell to hear his daughter wanted a sidearm.  We go to the range this weekend with a literal truckload of variety in firearms.

Slightly duplicitous because we are trying to get him to come to porcfest.

That's great!
The offer stands to others as well...

Beth221

Ohh by the way, I am studying this stupid booklet to get a "blue card" so I can buy a firearm! 

powerchuter

Quote from: Beth221 on March 28, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT
Ohh by the way, I am studying this stupid booklet to get a "blue card" so I can buy a firearm! 

That stuff will rot your brain, isn't that crap enough to drive you to NH today!?!
Where we'll meet you at the border and strap one on you right away!

Geez, what part of "shall not infringe" don't they get!?!

error

Oh, the bureaucrats read as far as "well-regulated" and figured (wrongly) that meant they could pass all the regulations they wanted.

MaineShark

Quote from: error on March 28, 2007, 04:51 PM NHFTOh, the bureaucrats read as far as "well-regulated" and figured (wrongly) that meant they could pass all the regulations they wanted.

I always enjoy trying analogs with anti-gun folks.  They get themselves so worked-up about "guns" that they cease to be able to comprehend English.  So, it is useful to remove "guns" from the equation:

"A well educated Electorate, being necessary to the democracy of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed."

Read that to anti-gun folks, and ask them if it gives Congress the power to ban books and regulate their ownership, sale, and use.  Most will just backpedal in amusing ways, but a few may actually have that lightbulb turn on above their heads...

Joe

PassionatePantherrr

I second (or third, or whatever) the idea of coming up to the Manchester Firing Range and learning on a rented gun, and let's make it a party for all the interested gals! (I've only ever shot a 22 there successfully myself, larger calibers had too much recoil for me).

error

I ask anti-gun people why they think 80 million Americans want to kill them.

Dreepa

Quote from: dpenkalski on March 28, 2007, 06:59 PM NHFT
I second (or third, or whatever) the idea of coming up to the Manchester Firing Range and learning on a rented gun, and let's make it a party for all the interested gals! (I've only ever shot a 22 there successfully myself, larger calibers had too much recoil for me).
ALso if more than 2 people take the class together it is cheaper ($100 per person)... $100 for 11 hours seems like a good deal to me.