• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Firearms for Females

Started by Beth221, January 24, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Beth221

Wait, that gun doesnt have a hammer... how than this be?  Now my head hurts!   ???    I am just tickled, i cant wait to go gun shopping this weekend, and get one in my hands, its been too long.  When i was a child, seeing a gun on the farm, or the neighbor taking care of a cow, was a normal thing, im afraid that I have been away from a firearm for so long, there is a little part of me that is scared, Mostly excited!  I remember being taught when i was a wee one, guns are good, but dont tell anyone you have guns...  Rhode Islanders are SO antigun, "Guns kill people" makes me sick.  *Remembering when my father was teaching me how to care for my 22, shooting bud cans on the fence, making the horses excited, which made my mom yell!  Good old times! 

Anyways, still confused over that gun not having a hammer, how does that work?

beth 

Lloyd Danforth

It is known as a hammerless. It has a hammer inside.  That way there is no hammer to catch on anything.  You can't cock and shoot, you just pull the trigger.

Beth221

OOOOHHHH that sounds special!  hammerless!  Hmmmmm    :P   i never imagined that before! 

So I did some online research, and I think I really dont want a revolver, the look of one really doesnt do it for me.  I want something Black, and initimidating, but nothing too strong.  What do the police use for guns, just out of curiosity, they must have a special cop gun that they use, right? 

Lloyd Danforth

I think Glocks are popular with cops.  You can wash a glock in your dishwasher.

Beth221

WHAT?  Really?  how about the washing machine? I dont have a dishwasher..  Can it go in te dryer too?  Is there a setting on it?  Next to fluff? 

Im assuming that a glock can get wet, or something, or maybe its dishwasher safe, plastic?  Highly amused, and confused! 

Lloyd Danforth

Recumbent ReCycler

A reliable gun that is used by cops is the Sig P229.  They can be had in many different looks.  If you want it bigger, go with a 226, and if you want it smaller, go with a 239.  They are available in 9mm, .40 S&W, & .357 Sig

I have a KelTec P3AT (.380) that's black, but they also make a .32 that's available in other colors.

I am a NRA certified pistol instructor, but would prefer to work with several other instructors teaching a class.

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 25, 2007, 06:56 PM NHFT
It is known as a hammerless.

No, that one is a "bobbed hammer". There's no such thing as a truly "hammerless" revolver; some that are called "hammerless" just have their hammers hidden under a shroud. The hammer is there; the spur has been lopped off, so that it can't be manually cocked, but pulling the trigger cocks the hammer, then releases it to fire. That makes it a "DAO" ("double action only").

You're right about the reasoning: eliminating the spur reduces the risk of snagging.

There is also the hybrid, "button-cocking" revolver, which uses a shroud to eliminate snags, but leaves a small button of the hammer spur exposed, to allow manual cocking if needed.

Kevin

Pat K

Wow the pink one could match my lawn Flamingos.  ;D

CNHT

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on January 26, 2007, 03:02 AM NHFT

No, that one is a "bobbed hammer". There's no such thing as a truly "hammerless" revolver; some that are called "hammerless" just have their hammers hidden under a shroud. The hammer is there; the spur has been lopped off, so that it can't be manually cocked, but pulling the trigger cocks the hammer, then releases it to fire. That makes it a "DAO" ("double action only").

You're right about the reasoning: eliminating the spur reduces the risk of snagging.

There is also the hybrid, "button-cocking" revolver, which uses a shroud to eliminate snags, but leaves a small button of the hammer spur exposed, to allow manual cocking if needed.

Kevin

Well, lets see.  My 1856 Raymond & Robitell, Petingill Patent is a hammerless percussion and was advertized as such. Iver Johnson  and several manufaturers of cheaper guns from about 1880 on made them and called themhammerless.  When I was in the business in the 60' we we're still selling those nickel plated pieces of crap and calling them hammerless.
So....Excuse Me!

LiveFree

If you think Glocks are too heavy, than you should feel some of the metal framed semi autos out there!

As nobody has yet addressed the question of ammunition, I think I'll step in here.

You'll be much better off buying a good, name brand jacketed hollow point than you would be with any kind of full metal jacket or lead round nose or wad cutter (if revolvers appeal to you, which you indicated they don't).

Some people say to contact either your local or state PD and ask them what they use, so that if you ever actually have to use it, and the DA tries to bring up the fact that you used those evil nasty HP's on the perp, the defense attorney can simply point out that you used the same round as the police use.  The common wisdom out there is to just use whatever name brand hollowpoint that feeds reliably in your gun.

To determine this, you might want to buy around 200 or so of whatever HP you want to use after you break in the gun with range loads (some people like to put a few hundred rounds through before relying on the gun to protect them, to get the snags out, and most people I know use FMJ for the range, usually the same weight as their HP's, but not always) and see if your gun will feed them all no problem.

Now, if you're going to get anything below around a .380, it's probably useless to bother with HP's, as they might not have sufficient velocity to expand, and even if they do, their expansion is going to limit penetration to the point you might not be hitting vitals.

Also, put some consideration into how you want to carry the gun.  There are many different ways to carry your piece, and all have their advantages and disadvantages.  Further, there are many choices for holsters.  You'll need to consider things like plastic or leather, pocket carry, inside the waistband with a cover garment carry, purse carry, things of that nature.

The advice to go out and rent a bunch of guns is probably the best on here so far.  Guns can be a lot like anything else in that when it just feels right, it just feels right, period.  Try not to be too afraid of recoil, either, because the "bigger is better" mantra certainly applies to anything below a 9mm or .38spl.  I wouldn't want to be stuck with a .22 when the chips are down, but a .22 in the pocket is a hell of a lot better than a .44 magnum that I left at home because it's too heavy and I'm afraid to shoot it or can't control it.  Shoot some stuff that you're not quite comfortable with if you get the chance.  Every other shooter I know has been more than happy to let me try their stuff.  Basically, buy the most powerful caliber you're comfortable with.

Also, consider the price of ammo.  I won't be buying a .45 anytime soon (I'm actually getting ready to buy a carry piece soon, though I've shot lots of other people's guns) because of the price of ammo, and because I really don't see much of an advantage over 9mm in terms of expansion or penetration of the name brand rounds out there in comparison to the significant cost savings in range ammo (about half the price, which translates to twice the practice on the same money) and capacity.  9mm is going to be the least expensive range ammo you're going to find, unless you reload.  Even the smaller calibers are more expensive due to not selling as much as 9mm.

As for funky colors, go with what functions best for you and ignore what color they come from the factory while deciding on a model.  The perp isn't gonna care if he got shot by a pink gun or something in stainless with pearl grips.  Go with what functions best for you and if you really have your heart set on some cool new paintjob, there are people out there who will do this for you.

Lloyd Danforth

I used to keep wadcutters in the .38 I kept for defending myself in my home in the city.  I thought if I had to use it I'd be less likely to kill someone.  At some point I realized that teenagers in my neighborhood we're carrying 14 shot 9's.  To my 6!. I keep 6 real nasty looking hollow points in it now.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 26, 2007, 07:31 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on January 26, 2007, 03:02 AM NHFT

Kevin

Well, lets see.  My 1856 Raymond & Robitell, Petingill Patent is a hammerless percussion and was advertized as such. Iver Johnson  and several manufaturers of cheaper guns from about 1880 on made them and called themhammerless.  When I was in the business in the 60' we we're still selling those nickel plated pieces of crap and calling them hammerless.
So....Excuse Me!

Ruger calls it "spurless." :P