• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Firearms for Females

Started by Beth221, January 24, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth221

colt .45 1911 (?) or maybe a 1991 (?) I cant remember
a ruger .45 LR singel action revolver which was just plain scary
and a ruger .22LR with a cute scope that showed a red dot on the target! 

I plan on going shooting with another person who I know in a few weeks, and unsure of what his collection is! 

Its really nice to be able to try before buying, and gun owners are excited to show me their favorite guns!\

The colt i tried I shot real good with it, grouped my shots well, it didnt have scary recoil like the ruger revolver did.  The only thing was the ammo went real quickly!  The .22 i did really really good on!  I think that is a fine gun to get use to shooting.  While firing the BIG revolver, i purposely left one cartridges out of cylinder, too see how i react when i pull the trigger, and sure enough, my arm jumped a mile!  It was a good little test.  I didnt come close to hitting any target with that scary ruger revolver.. 

other than that, I FREAKING KICKED DANS ASS!!!!!  I even saved my "shoot N see" targets to frame!!!  heheee! 

MaineShark

Quote from: Beth221 on March 31, 2007, 01:21 PM NHFTThe colt i tried I shot real good with it, grouped my shots well, it didnt have scary recoil like the ruger revolver did.

People get all worried about how much they expect a .45ACP will kick, but it's not that bad.  Personally, I actually prefer the recoil of a .45ACP 1911 to a 9mm revolver.  The action of the semi-auto absorbs a lot of the recoil, and the .45ACP is more of a "push" than the sharp "snap" of a 9mm, ayway.  Much more pleasant to shoot, excepting the ammunition bill...

Joe

KBCraig

And the .40 is harshest of all common calibers, recoil-wise. As you say, it's not just the energy of the recoil, but the nature of the recoil pulse.

powerchuter

Quote from: MaineShark on March 30, 2007, 02:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: money dollars on March 29, 2007, 01:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on March 28, 2007, 04:59 PM NHFTI always enjoy trying analogs with anti-gun folks.  They get themselves so worked-up about "guns" that they cease to be able to comprehend English.  So, it is useful to remove "guns" from the equation:
How can you remove "guns" from the 2nd? It says "arms". I like when the pro-gun people try to say the second is about guns, and guns can't be regulated, but they have no problem with the regulation of other arms, like nukes.

Uh, did you actually read my post?  The point was to put something else in there which the anti-gun folks generally don't find offensive, so they no longer have an excuse to retreat to emotion.  Then they are left facing the absurdity of their claims.  They usually run away from that, but a few may actually see the light.

As to why we're discussing guns in regards to the Second Amendment, well, the thread is "Firearms for Females," not "Atomic Weapons for Females."  But yes, the Second Amendment prohibits the restriction of any military weapons, of any sort, from a Ka-Bar to a 300-megaton hydrogen bomb.

Joe

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quantrill

QuoteThere are only three reasons to reload:
1) To save money (not much, but a little) over the price of commercial ammo.
2) To fine-tune a more accurate and/or lethal load for hunting or self defense.
3) Just because you enjoy the process.

I thought of another reason to reload:

4) To have a source of ammo once the  :shithitsthefan:  and you can no longer legally acquire it!

penguins4me

Reloading isn't the magic answer to bans, though, since primers are fairly difficult to make from scratch, and the brass is almost impossible to make from scratch. Likely most folks would have a hard time with smokeless powder, too. Therefore, while reloading is generally a cost-effective way to make your ammo money last longer, it isn't likely to be overlooked if the gov't tries to ban ammo.

I own a percussion-cap revolver, and while lead balls, felt wads, and even black powder are fairly easy to make from scratch, I'm not so sure about the percussion caps themselves!

I believe the best way to prevent ammo (and gun) bans is to have plenty stashed away in a cool, dry place already - so that the ultimatum described in the Declaration of Independence can still be carried out if needed.

MaineShark

Quote from: penguins4me on April 24, 2007, 08:23 PM NHFTReloading isn't the magic answer to bans, though, since primers are fairly difficult to make from scratch, and the brass is almost impossible to make from scratch. Likely most folks would have a hard time with smokeless powder, too. Therefore, while reloading is generally a cost-effective way to make your ammo money last longer, it isn't likely to be overlooked if the gov't tries to ban ammo.

Primers are no difficulty.  I can think of half a dozen compounds that could be used, and most could be made from common household chemicals.

Smokeless powder is even easier than primers.

Brass can be made by anyone with access to a machineshop.  But, of course, the point is that existing brass could be re-used, thereby defeating the ban.  I expect revolvers would make a come-back in that situation.

Shotguns ammunition is even easier than rifle/pistol brass.

Anyone with access to a machineshop could also easily turn out decent firearms.  Heck, anyone with hand tools and a bit of patience could made a basic revolver and use it to capture a better weapon.  Anyone without patience could make a "zip gun" and hope for the best.

Joe

error

Quote from: MaineShark on April 25, 2007, 07:47 AM NHFT
Heck, anyone with hand tools and a bit of patience could made a basic revolver and use it to capture a better weapon.  Anyone without patience could make a "zip gun" and hope for the best.

Someone should crank up their machine shop and turn out a million more of these.

beretta92d

my sis has one of these..(though she has never fired it,it's been sitting in her safe since she got it about a yr ago)
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14792&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

but like it has been said before,you should try before you buy..like at manchester firing line.(or any other shooting range that lets you rent guns to use)

kickinandtickin

I didn't read this entire thread.. I don't know much about guns anyway ... but I do remember researching the same question for a friend of mine -- a very-good-looking woman who would turn heads anywhere, a single mother, a psychiatrist (thus working in and around unstable folk on meds), often in darkened parking lots, and in a city possibly racked with crime and criminals. 

Here's what I advise(d):

-- a small, semi-automatic or automatic .38 with lots of practice and hollow-point rounds; I didn't think she was looking to (or would survive) any heavy fire-fights; her danger was being accosted by an unarmed or armed thug.  So I thought her weapon of choice would be something that was comfortable, easy, and packed a lot of first-shot or second-shot stopping power; I even considered a derringer.

-- lots of self-awareness training, especially through a good police-oriented self-defense course, or better yet some serious attention to and practice of aikido;

-- reading and understanding of the OODA loop and its high speed applications;

google it up, read a lot, and look especially for the articles designed for law enforcement types

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ooda+loop+law+enforcement&aq=3&oq=OODA+ 

(hey, not all cops are bad, and they have to be very adept at handling themselves in conflict and tense situations);

-- reading about collective resonance
http://www.collectivewisdominitiative.org/index.htm ,

and
collective resonance at gunpoint
http://www.collectivewisdominitiative.org/papers/levi_police.htm  ... ;

-- learning how to

meditate in action,
slow down time, and
relax.

robertrogers

Typically a well-protected home will have on hand several guns each of which excels for the different scenarios a firearm may be needed for.  At a minimum you would best be served by owning a handgun, a shotgun, and a rifle.  Add to that a rifle that fires the .22lr round for basic survival.

For rifles, perhaps the best to start with is the .22lr  Plenty of inexpensive ammo (a few cents per round), easy to shoot with little kick.  Great starter rifle to train with that is also is oft considered the best survival rifle of all.  Handguns firing .22lr are also excellent for training.

Shotgun: 12-gauge is best for home defense, for smaller people a 20-gauge will do.

Handgun: for self defense anything with a "40" such as .45acp or 40S&W is best.  But 9mm will do and is very common - for smaller people the 9mm generally works well.

Go with common calibers so that should the SHTF you will be more likely to find ammo.  Some very common ammo that many households and stores have on-hand include:

9mm, .45acp, 12-guage, .22lr, .223, 30-30, 7.62x39, .308

For a man, I might recommend acquiring the following 5 firearms:

.22lr rifle, 12-guage shotgun, .45acp handgun, choose one rifle: (.223, 30-30, 7.62x39), and a .308

for a woman of smaller build these four firearms would set you up well:
.22lr rifle, 20-gauge shotgun, 9mm handgun, .223 rifle

Be sure to have plenty of ammo and at least half a dozen magazines for each firearm.

Lloyd Danforth

In Grafton, the Freetown the chicks carry .50's