• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Big signs

Started by Crocuta, January 27, 2007, 09:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Crocuta

Crossposted to FSP Forum

I just wanted to throw this on here.  This sign is located along I-5 in Washington, about mile marker 72 south of Centralia/Chehalis (in case you wanted to look on a map.)  I had reason to be in the area today and I pulled over and snapped a couple shots with the digital camera.  This sign has been there for years and the guy changes the message every couple of weeks - different stuff on each side.  Thought you might like to see it as a possibility for getting out pro-freedom messages in NH.

Man - if only I could get the guy to run a message about the FSP on there.  :D  I wonder what the daily vehicle count is.  (After I wrote this, I got curious and went digging.  I found this on a Corps of Engineers website: The most recently published Average Daily Traffic (ADT) volumes cited an average of 54,800 vehicles from 5 milepost stations between MP 69 and 86 in the year 2000, ranging between 45,000 and 65,000 vehicles (WSDOT and FHWA 2001).)

earthhaven

These signs look xenophobic. It would be great to get billboards put up, but are all of the signs this guy puts up like this? I wouldn't want people to think the FSP was anti-immigration.

Crocuta

Quote from: earthhaven on January 27, 2007, 10:16 PM NHFT
These signs look xenophobic. It would be great to get billboards put up, but are all of the signs this guy puts up like this? I wouldn't want people to think the FSP was anti-immigration.

That's an interesting interpretation.  I hadn't seen them that way.  I saw someone who is 1)frustrated that health care is subsidized by taking money from one person and giving it to another, and 2) frustrated that we provide government services in 47 different languages, again by dipping into public coffers.  I just wonder if he realizes that health care shouldn't be subsidized at all and care for the poor and indigent should be provided by charitable organizations, and frankly I think he's right on the other.  Most services shouldn't be provided at all by government, and those services that we are going to keep should be provided in one common language.  If you move here and don't speak the language, bring your own interpreter.

Yes - he's more conservative than libertarian, but from what I've seen over the years, he might be convertable. :)

Quantrill

Regardless of whether or not the guy doesn't like immigrants/aliens, the signs are thought-provoking.  I think it's great to see people doing these kinds of things.  Sounds like this guy could be of some help to us.  Or at the very least, he's given us a good idea.  Perhaps an FSP billboard is in order?

Crocuta

Quote from: Quantrill on January 27, 2007, 11:10 PM NHFT
Perhaps an FSP billboard is in order?

Anyone got land along 93 just north of the MA border?  You could have all kinds of fun with a sign that big.  >:D

David

The FSP tries very hard to not be associated with any particular ideology, and will vehemenantly oppose any suggestion that they are for or against any issue.  I think they are right to do that, that way issues do not cloud the water of their agenda, and cause breaks within the group.  It would be better to claim association with some other group that is more specifically for or against immigration or any other idea.   :)

d_goddard

Quote from: Crocuta on January 27, 2007, 10:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: earthhaven on January 27, 2007, 10:16 PM NHFT
These signs look xenophobic.
he's more conservative than libertarian, but from what I've seen over the years, he might be convertable. :)

Make no mistake: there are MANY (as in, millions) of people in exactly that boat.
They (we) used to think of themselves (OK, ok, "ourselves") as "Republicans"... until the Republicans started spending like Democrats, or some other triggering event happened.

If you want to get many, many more people to join the freedom movement, work on converting the people who are already 80% in agreement on specific issues, but haven't really considered the entire philosophy.

To be frank, anyone who wants "smaller government" is GOOD to have associated with us, and to have working for change in New Hampshire, even if they don't yet get that making a giant government bureaucracy to keep out immigrants is just not as good idea.

earthhaven

Quote from: d_goddard on January 29, 2007, 06:11 AM NHFT
To be frank, anyone who wants "smaller government" is GOOD to have associated with us, and to have working for change in New Hampshire, even if they don't yet get that making a giant government bureaucracy to keep out immigrants is just not as good idea.
I see the anti-immigration bureaucracies as being major threats towards freedom. Anti-immigration = police state. I know that it is important to convert people, but I've found that people who hate brown people can be hard to convert to liberty. Then again I have only seen this with the people I have spoken with so maybe others will have better luck :).

Quantrill

Are we talking about anti-immigrants or anti-illegal aliens?

David

Quote from: earthhaven on January 29, 2007, 09:07 AM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on January 29, 2007, 06:11 AM NHFT
I see the anti-immigration bureaucracies as being major threats towards freedom. Anti-immigration = police state. I know that it is important to convert people, but I've found that people who hate brown people can be hard to convert to liberty. Then again I have only seen this with the people I have spoken with so maybe others will have better luck :).

I definately agree with you. 

error

I prefer to ostracize anybody who hates people based on something as totally arbitrary as skin color or land of birth, and refuses to see reason.

I was born and raised in the South, where racism and other remnants of the South's former peculiar institution still pervade everything.

I left at the first opportunity.

This anti-immigration sentiment is just more of the same blind unthinking hatred of anything different.

Braddogg

Quote from: Quantrill on January 29, 2007, 10:40 PM NHFT

Illegal aliens are immigrants . . . .

earthhaven

Quote from: Braddogg on January 30, 2007, 07:55 AM NHFT
Quote from: Quantrill on January 29, 2007, 10:40 PM NHFT

Illegal aliens are immigrants . . . .

Thank you. It drives me crazy when people say "I'm for immigration, just legal immigration."

Quantrill

It drives me crazy when non-U.S. citizens enter this country unlawfully.  When I get busted for speeding I have to pay a hefty fine.  Why am I subject to the laws of this country yet "immigrants" are not?  And what about the property owners whose lands are being tresspassed on?  Tough luck for them?  The government is not supposed to protect their property?  If I am on your property and am not wanted is it tough luck for you?

I think it's ridiculous to say that people who believe in border security are racist.  The 9/11 hijackers came from Canada and I am STRONGLY in favor of more enforcement on both borders.  This is one of the few things that our government is actually allowed to do per the Constitution.  I don't want a government that goes overseas and stirs up trouble, but the government is there in part to protect our borders...

earthhaven

Quote from: Quantrill on January 30, 2007, 05:57 PM NHFT
It drives me crazy when non-U.S. citizens enter this country unlawfully.  When I get busted for speeding I have to pay a hefty fine.  Why am I subject to the laws of this country yet "immigrants" are not?  And what about the property owners whose lands are being tresspassed on?  Tough luck for them?  The government is not supposed to protect their property?  If I am on your property and am not wanted is it tough luck for you?

I think it's ridiculous to say that people who believe in border security are racist.  The 9/11 hijackers came from Canada and I am STRONGLY in favor of more enforcement on both borders.  This is one of the few things that our government is actually allowed to do per the Constitution.  I don't want a government that goes overseas and stirs up trouble, but the government is there in part to protect our borders...

Let's see here. I'm pretty sure the hijackers on 9/11 entered this country legally.

If you have to ask permission to enter and leave a country clearly you do NOT live in a free country. I want to live in a free country.

Are people better depending on where they were born?