• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

For mvpel:

Started by Rocketman, January 30, 2007, 08:11 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

Since we're back to exchanging barbs about the war issue on yet another thread, I was hoping you could backtrack and answer this excellent question by aworldnervelink:

QuoteI have another question. Mike, you've repeatedly made the point that the Iraqis are rational human beings and deserve the same respect we would provide any other group of people (an argument I would certainly agree with, BTW). Now, multiple polls taken in Iraq have consistently demonstrated that the Iraqis want the Americans to leave... the latest poll shows that 71% want US forces to withdraw within a year, and 61% support attacks against US forces (the topic of this thread). There's a cite here: http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/27/iraqis-poll/, and these results have been widely reported.

Under what argument can you justify a policy which runs directly contrary to the overwhelming, clearly expressed preference of the Iraqi people? If the Iraqis are rational people, how can we do anything but respect their wishes?

Lex

Quote from: Rocketman on January 30, 2007, 08:11 AM NHFT
If the Iraqis are rational people, how can we do anything but respect their wishes?

Well, we've definitely managed to blow up a whole lot of them.

Kat Kanning

I'm sure we've slaughtered all those innocent civilians with great respect.  That must make their families feel much better.

error

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 30, 2007, 08:24 AM NHFT
I'm sure we've slaughtered all those innocent civilians with great respect.  That must make their families feel much better.

WE did no such thing. (Unless you were over in Iraq and failed to mention this...) I certainly didn't.

Instead, a bunch of strangers claiming (falsely) to represent me went over there and made mayhem.

Caleb

Quote from: error on January 30, 2007, 08:31 AM NHFT

WE did no such thing. (Unless you were over in Iraq and failed to mention this...) I certainly didn't.

Instead, a bunch of strangers claiming (falsely) to represent me went over there and made mayhem.

Not so fast, error.  Some of us on this forum did do this thing.  Or more appropriately, they hired people to do it for them. 

Dreepa

Quote from: Caleb on January 30, 2007, 05:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on January 30, 2007, 08:31 AM NHFT

Not so fast, error. Some All of us on this forum did do this thing.  Or more appropriately, they hired people to do it for them. 
Fixed it.

Unless you paid no tax whatsoever... and I am sure that everyone here paid some sort of tax one way or the other.  (According to your theory).

Caleb

Does that mean we can keep saying "We"?  ;)

I admit to it.  I paid into it for awhile.  I've now repented of my sin, to the extent that I'm able.  There are, to be sure, some taxes that one can't opt out of.  The gas tax comes to mind.