• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FTL's "cat out of the bag"

Started by KBCraig, January 30, 2007, 02:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on February 07, 2007, 11:28 AM NHFT
I would challenge anyone's assertion that they have "written" programs in binary. You had to have at least written some pseudo code on paper in assembler/diagrams to organize your program and then you painstakingly "translated" the pseudo code into binary (much like a compiler translates assembler into binary).
No... it's not that hard.
If you work in assembler for a few weeks, you come to know the dozen or so most common common opcodes. The 6809 only had, what 4 or 5 registers and one user stack so there's just not that much to have to keep organized in your head.

Stuff like graphics demos or a simple pong-like game are not terribly hard to do in hex directly under conditions like that. And the hex is just a shorthand for binary, right?

I do so miss being a coder... all this "managing people" stuff is nowhere near as fun. Even less fun is managing customers. Maybe one day I'll "retire" and just be a coder again.

d_goddard

Quote from: eques on February 07, 2007, 11:55 AM NHFT
I think that the appropriate paradigm prior to "I programmed in binary!" is "I programmed in transistors!!!" and then "I programmed in vacuum tubes!!!" and then, "I programmed in Babbage's Difference Engine!!!! HURRR!!!!"
Actually my Dad "programmed" with wires and breadboards back in the day. He worked for an engineering firm... I don't know what model of computer it was, but it had vacuum tubes and you had to plug wires into various places to control the logic.

eques

Quote from: d_goddard on February 07, 2007, 12:07 PM NHFT
I think that the appropriate paradigm prior to "I programmed in binary!" is "I programmed in transistors!!!" and then "I programmed in vacuum tubes!!!" and then, "I programmed in Babbage's Difference Engine!!!! HURRR!!!!"
Actually my Dad "programmed" with wires and breadboards back in the day. He worked for an engineering firm... I don't know what model of computer it was, but it had vacuum tubes and you had to plug wires into various places to control the logic.

Awesome--now we just need to find somebody who programmed with gears!

Rocketman

Quote from: eques on February 07, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on February 07, 2007, 12:07 PM NHFT

Awesome--now we just need to find somebody who programmed with gears!

Dr. Emmett Brown was doing some remarkable work in this area prior to his mysterious disappearance in 1985, or was it 1955?

Lex

Quote from: d_goddard on February 07, 2007, 12:04 PM NHFT
And the hex is just a shorthand for binary, right?

By the same logic you can say that Visual Basic is shorthand for binary. It just so happens that converting from hex to binary is trivial while converting from visual basic to binary involves a great deal more work.

In any case, if you say you can program in binary than I expect to see nothing but 1s and 0s on your screen. Hex would make things slightly more manageable and thus less difficult ;-)

For the ultimate handicap, you have to use pico to edit your binary code  ;D

Lex

Hmm... would it even be possible to use pico to edit binary? If there is no binary mode in pico than I guess that makes it even harder  :icon_pirat:

eques

Off-off-topic:

I tried to be clever on my resume: I had a summary which listed a bunch of pertinent things... right at the end, I put:

• Love vim; could do without emacs.

I interviewed at a popular VoIP provider that rhymes with "Vonage."

The guy who interviewed me tells me that he was one of the major contributors to emacs.

Dohhhh!!!!

Actually, it was kind of funny, but I felt just a bit embarassed, too.

Dreepa

Quote from: eques on February 07, 2007, 01:14 PM NHFT
Off-off-topic:

I tried to be clever on my resume: I had a summary which listed a bunch of pertinent things... right at the end, I put:

• Love vim; could do without emacs.

I interviewed at a popular VoIP provider that rhymes with "Vonage."

The guy who interviewed me tells me that he was one of the major contributors to emacs.

Dohhhh!!!!

Actually, it was kind of funny, but I felt just a bit embarassed, too.
How the fuck is it off topic? ???

We  went from Mark killing someone to how streets get numbered back to mark and now to unix editing.  I think castle chaser said it.... nothing is offtopic... ;D

vi virtually impossible. ;)

d_goddard

Dreepa

Quote from: d_goddard on February 07, 2007, 02:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on February 07, 2007, 02:44 PM NHFT
vi virtually impossible
What are you, some kind of PHB? :P
Actually... I use vi everyday all day... I just like that joke... .When I worked for Uncle Larry I had to train people on Oracle..... and they wouldn't know unix or vi ... you wanna talk pain? :'(

Vote Tyler Stearns

What the hell are you guys talking about?  Am I the only technoidiot here besides Rainey...and I say this with love, Rainey, I swear  ;)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: d_goddard on February 07, 2007, 12:04 PM NHFT
I do so miss being a coder... all this "managing people" stuff is nowhere near as fun. Even less fun is managing customers. Maybe one day I'll "retire" and just be a coder again.
I don't understand why most orgs bump good doers into managers. I agree with the peter principle book and even better .... the dilbert principle. :)

I don't program. I like to use programs. :)

eques

In order to expand my marketability, I'm attempting to sell myself as some sort of trainer (and I have references to back that up, too).

I sort of forgot about it, as well as how much I enjoyed it.

I don't think I want to manage people, though... I'd rather instruct and inform.

Coding?  Yeah, I could do it... but I just get bored/distracted too easily.