• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FTL's "cat out of the bag"

Started by KBCraig, January 30, 2007, 02:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Dreepa

Quote from: alaska on January 30, 2007, 06:00 PM NHFT
Read up on Utah's street numbering/naming system.  ;D
They did it right.

They claim that it came to Joseph Smith in a vision.  Of course DC was also laid out in a grid pattern.

Lloyd Danforth

I love how this has turned into a discussion about street numbering ;D

eques

The French Quarter in New Orleans is numbered similarly--each block begins a new multiple of 100, with the 100 block on the southwest-northeast streets starting off of Canal Street... but I don't remember where the 100 block on the northwest-southeast streets is exactly.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 30, 2007, 06:47 PM NHFT
I love how this has turned into a discussion about street numbering ;D

Gotta love the underground -- we should have a slogan -- No topic is off topic on nhfree.com ;)

Dreepa

Should we go back to talking about killing someone?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Dreepa on January 30, 2007, 09:36 PM NHFT
Should we go back to talking about killing someone?

no really that's OK -- let's stick to the discussion about numbers and off-topic topics. Mark's past is so passe.

KBCraig

KBCraig

I went to college in Russellville, AR, which has an interesting grid system, with the city divided into quadrants.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=russellville,+ar&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=35.278698,-93.131876&spn=0.016746,0.045791&om=1

The main north-south street is Arkansas, and east-west is Main. They intersect in the middle of town and form the quadrants.

All the north-south streets are named after cities, and are alphabetical. Starting from Arkansas going east, you cross Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Erie, Frankfort, Greenwich, etc. Going west, you cross Boulder, Commerce, Denver, El Paso, Fargo, Glenwood, etc.

All the east-west streets north of Main are "letter" streets: B, C, D, E, F, G, etc. South of Main, they're "number" streets: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.

Kevin Bean

Quote from: money dollars on January 30, 2007, 03:04 PM NHFT
I feel like mark didn't really address it, besides saying he did jail time, and doesn't want to/can't talk about it.

Mark said more than you claim. He said he didn't kill anyone and that he had nothing to gain by killing the man.

Excluding the hearsay from Tungate's attorney (Steve Lewis? Ellis?), the article seems to confirm what Mark said on the air.

Jim Johnson

"I like to think you killed a man.  It's the romantic in me.?

KBCraig

Quote from: Bill Grennon on January 30, 2007, 10:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: money dollars on January 30, 2007, 03:04 PM NHFT
I feel like mark didn't really address it, besides saying he did jail time, and doesn't want to/can't talk about it.

Mark said more than you claim.

Okay, I'm officially confused. For a long time, I've thought the "poster known as Bill Grennon (who isn't really Bill Grennon)", was MD in disguise.

Or are you just arguing with yourself?

Kevin

Kat Kanning

No, Bill Grennon is not MD.  But I do think Bill probably has multiple personality disorder.

error

Quote from: Quantrill on January 30, 2007, 05:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on January 30, 2007, 04:37 PM NHFT
They number houses differently in other parts of the country (each 100 covers roughly a city block, rather than a mile or a half mile; yes it's odd).

??  This is how it's done here.  With many streets so close together if you say 1100 E. Walnut, then I automatically know it's 11 blocks east of Main st.  Very simple actually.  How exactly is it done in NH?

Before the FCC-mandated 911 address renumbering insanity hit the country, most of New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and I've seen it even as far south as North Carolina, numbered 100 to a mile or to a half-mile. I think in Manhattan it's 100 to a quarter mile, though I could be off. I'll check it next time I'm there. In the days when travel was on foot and horseback, if you were on a road, this made it fairly easy to judge how far you were from the center of town.

In rural areas of the Midwest, many county roads are laid out in grid pattern, about one mile apart, with everyone's farmland in between them, and are numbered according to distance from the county line, or some other fixed point, usually 10 per mile, e.g. 220th Road, 230th Road would be one mile apart, 22 and 23 miles from the county line. These are sometimes gravel or even dirt roads.

I think people just did whatever seemed to make sense at the time.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: error on January 30, 2007, 04:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 30, 2007, 04:14 PM NHFT
I don't even want to think how my life might had been different living at 5528 20th St. W Anywhere!

They number houses differently in other parts of the country (each 100 covers roughly a city block, rather than a mile or a half mile; yes it's odd).
I lived in multiple places in SoCal where I had addresses like 25736 Rio Burrito Con Carne.
In tiny towns in Utah, the have addresses based on the temple in SLC and when the numbers get really big they lop off digits in the front.
I wish NEngland had a numbering system that meant something .... or even street signs on all corners.