• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FTL's "cat out of the bag"

Started by KBCraig, January 30, 2007, 02:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I believe Mark and Ian did a good job addressing a difficult subject. Kudos for the honesty.

While surprising, it doesn't change my opinion of the show or its co-host.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

error

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 30, 2007, 02:32 PM NHFT
What are you talking about?

Last night's show. You can listen to it. http://media.libsyn.com/media/ftl/FTL2007-01-29.mp3
Well, the cat is out of the bag. Mark spent nine years in prison. / Blacks and Spanking / Crazy Laws / Militarization of the Police / Law Enforcement Against Prohibition / Salvia / More Bad Gun Laws

Or, read a 600-post thread mostly full of crap over on the FTL BBS... http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=11386.0

Kat Kanning

error

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 30, 2007, 02:37 PM NHFT
What was he in prison for?

He plead no contest to second-degree murder in 1989. There is, of course, much more to the story, and Ian and Mark tell it much better than I could.

Kat Kanning

What happened?  Why did he kill someone?

Kat Kanning

Yeah, it'll take hours to read that.

money dollars

Bradenton Herald, The (FL)
September 1, 1989
Section: Local
Edition: Final
Page: B1

MANAGER'S KILLERS PLEAD NO CONTEST
Kate Murphy Herald Staff Writer

Two men charged in the death of a motel manager last year pleaded no contest Thursday to second-degree murder charges.

Assistant State Attorney Peter Dubensky said the plea agreements were not ``something we were happy about.''
He said conflicting stories told by the two defendants made it a question ``of who do you believe.''

Circuit Judge Thomas Gallen sentenced Carmen Tungate to 30 years in state prison in the death of Econo Lodge Mo tel manager Ballapuran Umakanthan in June 1988. Tungate, 20, who has no known address, had been indicted on a first-degree murder.

Charges of grand theft, uttering a forged document and lewd and lascivious behavior were dropped against Tungate as part of the deal, said Steve Lewis, Tungate's attorney.

Mark A. Edgington, 18, of 5528 20th St. W., was sentenced to 25 years in state prison. He previously was charged with accessory to murder after the fact, but that charge was upgraded earlier this month.

Tungate entered the court room hesitantly. His hands were clasped behind his back as he stood before the judge.

He answered questions from the judge in a barely audible voice.

Ellis was pleased with the deal his client received.

``There are always risks going to trial,'' Ellis said. ``They made him a very reasonable deal.''

After Umakanthan, 37, was strangled early in the morning of June 29 in a room at the motel at 6727 14th St. W., Edgington was arrested on the accessory charge.

Authorities issued a warrant for Tungate.

Luck ran out for Tungate in February when he was arrested in Virginia. He reportedly was trying to obtain a fraudulent birth certificate.

Tungate was fired or quit work as a day clerk at the motel after stealing money from the job, authorities. The grand theft charges stem from that, officials said.

Tungate planned the murder of Umakanthan, renting a room at the Econo Lodge and concocting a scheme to lure the motel manager to the room, authorities said.

Umakanthan came to the room because of a complaint about a faulty air conditioner, authorities said.

Edgington told detectives he and Tungate wrapped Umakanthan's body in a bedspread and moved it to another part of the room. They planned to get rid of the body, but decided to leave when they spotted a sheriff's patrol car near the motel.

The two men hopped into a car and drove to Tampa International Airport, where Tungate caught a flight out of Florida, authorities said.

Edgington was arrested the next day at Southeast High School, where he was attending summer school classes.

He remained free until private investigators for Tungate's attor ney uncovered information that Edgington's role in the slaying was different than what authorities had first believed, authorities said.

Edgington made statements to two people that he had strangled Umakanthan with his hands, Ellis said.

``Few people knew (Umakanthan) had been manually strangled,'' Ellis said.

Prosecutors filed the second-degree murder charge against Edgington on Aug. 14.

Dubensky said that if the plea agreement had not worked out he was prepared to take Edgington's case to a grand jury.

Ellis said his client ``regrets the pain he has caused Uma's family.''

Umakanthan's brother walked from the court room moments after Gallen passed the sentences on the two men.

``I'm glad it is all behind us now,'' he said.

money dollars

Quote from: KBCraig on January 30, 2007, 02:29 PM NHFT
I believe Mark and Ian did a good job addressing a difficult subject.
I feel like mark didn't really address it, besides saying he did jail time, and doesn't want to/can't talk about it.

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Just finished listening .... very interesting.

Lloyd Danforth

I don't even want to think how my life might had been different living at 5528 20th St. W Anywhere!

error

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 30, 2007, 04:14 PM NHFT
I don't even want to think how my life might had been different living at 5528 20th St. W Anywhere!

They number houses differently in other parts of the country (each 100 covers roughly a city block, rather than a mile or a half mile; yes it's odd).

Quantrill

Quote from: error on January 30, 2007, 04:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 30, 2007, 04:14 PM NHFT

They number houses differently in other parts of the country (each 100 covers roughly a city block, rather than a mile or a half mile; yes it's odd).

??  This is how it's done here.  With many streets so close together if you say 1100 E. Walnut, then I automatically know it's 11 blocks east of Main st.  Very simple actually.  How exactly is it done in NH?