• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Static Kitty

Started by Friday, January 31, 2007, 07:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

penguins4me

A shaving razor, duct tape, a fairly long strand of conductive wire, and a grounding rod should solve your side of the problem. ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Looks as though Dada is rubbing off on you.  'Edit line thingy'?  I don't see anything yellow, either.

KBCraig

Quote from: penguins4me on February 02, 2007, 10:07 AM NHFT
A shaving razor, duct tape, a fairly long strand of conductive wire, and a grounding rod should solve your side of the problem. ;)

Shaved kitties are good. The rest of it's getting a bit freaky.  >:D

Beth221

just get a spray bottle and mist your kitty, make sure its on mist not spray, or you will give her a heart attack.

TackleTheWorld

If you and your cat are barefoot
and the floor is conductive
you won't shock your kitty even if it is arid

Try taking your cat's shoes off
:walk:

Friday

Nope, that's not it, my cat and I both leave our shoes at the door.

Beth221

watch the wool coats, i always get a good shock when i wear wool!

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Friday on February 02, 2007, 06:04 PM NHFT

That?s just silly, cats don?t have shoes.
Cats have boots or socks or they go fuzz footed.
For one thing cats don?t have thumbs to tie the little shoe laces.  Oh they could wear loafers but not penny loafers because the pennies would be too heavy.
I know cats wear boots because I saw it on a can of Puss?n Boots. They where kind of like the boots of a  Musketeer or a hooker, knee high things.
My neighbor lady, Winnie, had an all black cat with white feet and she called that cat socks.
Did you check to see if you or your cat were wearing synthetic socks?  I think Lauren was referring to bare feet not just ?no shoes?.  In bare feet your electrical potential should be the same as your floor.  If kitty is on the floor you would both have the same electrical potential, but if kitty is on a chair or table or otherwise separate from you your electrical potentials will be different.  The difference in your electrical potentials is what the static electric spark represents.
The suggestions about making your house more humid are correct.  Humid air is more electrically conductive than dry air and will dissipate your electrical differences with your kitty.
You could spritz your cat with deionized water, but I?m sure kitty would view that as a punishment.

Lloyd Danforth

QuoteMy neighbor lady, Winnie, had an all black cat with white feet and she called that cat socks.

We had a cat that was all one color.  We called him 'Jumpsuit'

penguins4me

We had a cat once, back in the late '30s...

We called 'em 'Dinner'.

Raineyrocks

Yikes!  I am wearing bell bottom jeans and when I got up from my chair I got a big shock (looked like a miniature lightening bolt) on the heel of my foot coming from the edge of my bell bottoms.

That's what I get for being mean about the static kitty!  >:D

Beth221

i wonder if those hairless cats get static?  maybe shave the cat!

Friday

Quote from: Facilitator on February 03, 2007, 04:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on February 02, 2007, 06:04 PM NHFT

I know cats wear boots because I saw it on a can of Puss?n Boots. They where kind of like the boots of a  Musketeer or a hooker, knee high things.

:biglaugh:

Status update: I have tried out some of the tips posted (thanks, all), and have definitely raised the humidity level in my apartment.  Unfortunately, I've only managed to raise it to 30%.  I'm considering renaming my cat "Orville" until winter's over. 

Russell Kanning

Well 30 is better than 10. :)
Our place is at about 40%.