• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Static Kitty

Started by Friday, January 31, 2007, 07:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

My cat has developed an unfortunate static electricity issue.  Every time I pet her, she crackles like a bag of microwave popcorn.  How do New Hampshire natives deal with this sort of thing?  Is there a product like Bounce for pets?  Can I ground her with a 3-pronged plug?  Thanks for any tips.
:cat:  :dragonball:

Kat Kanning

Turn out the lights and enjoy the show on your "snap-kitty".  They especially like a little touch on the tip of the ear.

Vote Tyler Stearns

You need some humidity in your air....If you're using a woodstove, make sure you have a big pot of water on the stove at all times.  Or, get a humidifier.  Or, put a big kettle of water on your range and simmer water whenever you're home (make sure you don't leave the house or go to bed and forget the pot of water simmering).  Or, put bowls, pots, tubs, of water around your house -- you'll be amazed at how quickly the water evaporates.  And, keep lots of plants around your house that are well-watered and misted. 

Although you may enjoy the electric kitty show, poor kitty doesn't. 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 31, 2007, 07:08 AM NHFT
Turn out the lights and enjoy the show on your "snap-kitty".  They especially like a little touch on the tip of the ear.

Don't forget some  :happy1:

Raineyrocks

QuoteAlthough you may enjoy the electric kitty show, poor kitty doesn't. 

Your are too nice!  ;D 

I have an easier suggestion but it's probraly mean; don't ever pet the cat.  >:D

We have 5 cats and 1 feline leukemia cat (stays in a room away from the others) and they are all strays that came up to us in Maryland, they saw sucker all over us. Anyways, when the last 2 came in they started peeing all over our house, Yuk!  I steam cleaned every other day but nothing gets that smell out so now in this house they live in the basement but we have to give the 2 away because they are crapping and peeing all over in the basement now.  I've tried everything I can think of to get them to stop.  The other 3 were fine when we first got here but then in a couple of weeks the other 2 came up and BAMMM it started all over again so I don't really like them anymore. >:(

cathleeninnh

I don't like the dry air but am too cheap to buy a humidifier and use electricity to battle it. I had considered running the shower because our water is "free". Then on Monday I ran the drier for $1.25 an hour and the second load only got the remaining 17 minutes. As the towels and socks didn't dry, I spread them all over the apartment. Less than an hour later, they were bone dry.

So your suggestion malevil to put dishes of water around struck a chord. I did that this morning and within 15 minutes  my sinuses and skin felt less dry. Maybe it is my imagination. Let's see if I get shocked less.

Cathleen

Kat Kanning

We got a little $5 humidity gauge from Walmart.

cathleeninnh

That's handy and you have a wood stove to put a pot of water on. I heard that between 30 and 50% is right.

Cathleen

Vote Tyler Stearns

Hey Cathleen:  I know the water 'round the house thing works.  We heat our house with two woodstoves that are cranking 24/7 5 months a year.  Our house is DRY.  We have two cast iron kettles full of water on our woodstove that we need to add water to twice a day.  Plus we simmer water on the stovetop when I'm home on the weekends, and I have pots of water around the house that I have to refill every week.  I have two big drying racks in my basement near a woodstove where I hang wash.  Sometimes the clothes are dry within an hour.

I also use "Ocean" spray in my nose to help battle dry sinuses.  There are lots of brands out there and you could probably make your own saline-type solution, but "Ocean" is the mildest brand I've ever used.  And, you have to drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.  It seems crazy to think that the inside of NH homes are like the desert during the winter. 

slim

I'd say attach some wire to the kitty and plug her in to the light socket maybe you can turn the electricity meter backwards >:D

If you keep you home humid it will feel warmer in there also helps to cut down on the heating bill

cathleeninnh

If that kitty is long haired, I want a picture.

Cathleen

Kat Kanning

Cathleen's sadistic side, revealed!  :o

Friday

Quote from: cathleeninnh on January 31, 2007, 12:13 PM NHFT
If that kitty is long haired, I want a picture.

No, she's not a long-hair, but she does look rather frizzy lately.  Maybe I should share my conditioner?   :icon_cat:

eques

I've been getting shocked by my girlfriend just about every single time she leans over to kiss me the past few days.

Electrifying! ;D

cathleeninnh

We have taken to a touch of the hands before the lips meet.

Cathleen