• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Business owner being driven out by property taxes

Started by Kat Kanning, January 31, 2007, 09:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

The idea that people must pay for other peoples children's education is ridiculous.

The path that is likely to be taken by the state is to give a reduced tax rate based on income and other special conditions... This will lead to the requirement of proving your income to the state... in practice a progressive income tax.

I met a nice old lady that had to sell the land that had been in her family for 150 years because of the outrageous property taxes.

We just had to take the bitter pill of this year property tax payment... >:( The state gets to take money from my child to give to wealthier people's children. Makes me made as hell. Sorry I'm just so fucking sick of taxes I can almost not stand it.

FrankChodorov

Quotea person's house is generally reflective of his income/purchasing power, so the ability to buy a property should match the ability to pay property taxes in most cases.

this is how we have been confused here in NH.

the property tax is actually two "taxes" in one.

a tax on your building is a disincentive to labor and improve your property.
a tax on land value is an incentive to optimize your social derive locations and drives the price of land down.

land value appreciations are "givings" from nature and society as they are not the result of the landowner's labor they come out of the pockets of your neighbors.

so to increase taxation on land values does not have a negative effect on the economy:

1. it doesn't hurt the production of land as land is not produced.
2. there is no new net economic effect - it is just transferred from tenants who pay immediately and future buyers.

FrankChodorov

QuoteI'm just so fucking sick of taxes I can almost not stand it.

then demand that those excluding you from what is created socially and by nature pay you directly and you them.

let's say you payout $5K in land value taxes and receive $4K - you then have an 80% homestead exemption.

Tom Sawyer

Keene's tax rate is 28.38 per thousand

Unless I'm missing something that works out to $14,190 per year for the 500k home.
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/keene.html

cathleeninnh

I like the idea of helping with other needs like the roof work. It helps build our community through personal responsibility. A good lesson for all. Especially neighbors who will remember when budget time comes.

It may be a slower way to spread liberty but worthwhile. It is harder to make progress when people are generally removed from their neighbor and interactions are impersonal. Bring everything closer to home and understanding increases. Steps in the right direction.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: cathleeninnh on February 02, 2007, 01:43 PM NHFT
I like the idea of helping with other needs like the roof work. It helps build our community through personal responsibility. A good lesson for all. Especially neighbors who will remember when budget time comes.
In this case ... they can afford materials .... and we can voluntarily provide the labor, tools, and skills (haha).

KurtDaBear

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 02, 2007, 01:02 PM NHFT
Keene's tax rate is 28.38 per thousand

Unless I'm missing something that works out to $14,190 per year for the 500k home.
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/keene.html
That's a pretty hefty price tag, especially for a retiree.  Does NH have anything like senior-citizen breaks or homestead exemptions?  (I noted earlier you mentioned an elderly person selling property to stay afloat.)

I agree with you also about having money shifted to help other school districts.  It's something they had in Michigan when I lived there, and it's a crock.

Last month I saw a news item that said the Greater Boston Area, including southeastern NH, was one of the top 5 areas in the country for falling home prices.  Under the "every cloud has a silver lining" philosophy, people who view their homes as living places, rather than investments or ATM's, should soon be able to get their tax assessments lowered.

FrankChodorov

QuoteDoes NH have anything like senior-citizen breaks or homestead exemptions?

yes each town sets different amounts for elderly, veterans, the blind, etc.

Quoteshould soon be able to get their tax assessments lowered.

they will just raise the rates to compensate.

Quantrill

Damn!  When it comes time for me to buy a house I'm getting the crappiest one I can find...

Spencer

Quote from: Quantrill on February 02, 2007, 11:04 PM NHFT
Damn!  When it comes time for me to buy a house I'm getting the crappiest one I can find...

The bigger the eyesore you make your home, the lower your neighbors' property values go, thereby lowering yours even further.  Maybe this could be the source of a new industry.  Neighbors could get together and rotate which property on a street each year would have the abandoned cars and refrigerators in the front yard, not to mention the neon green house paint with day-glo orange trim.  All neighbors would benefit from the reduced valuations.

KBCraig

Since valuations are only done every five years during a defined period, you only have to trash the neighborhood for a few months, twice per decade.  ;)

tracysaboe

Quote from: Spencer on February 02, 2007, 11:40 PM NHFT
... not to mention the neon green house paint with day-glo orange trim. 

When I get there, I'll volenteer for that one.

Tracy

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Spencer on February 02, 2007, 11:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: Quantrill on February 02, 2007, 11:04 PM NHFT

The bigger the eyesore you make your home, the lower your neighbors' property values go, thereby lowering yours even further.  Maybe this could be the source of a new industry.  Neighbors could get together and rotate which property on a street each year would have the abandoned cars and refrigerators in the front yard, not to mention the neon green house paint with day-glo orange trim.  All neighbors would benefit from the reduced valuations.

Just bare Tyvek would do the job.

Russell Kanning

That is one of the things we can solve .... by not living our lives by the property tax rules ... the houses will look better. :)