• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

release of the final Harry Potter novel

Started by Friday, February 01, 2007, 12:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

As, sometimes there is no justice, Harry could die

Friday

I think the children of the world would declare a fatwa against JKR if she did that.  Homegirl won't go there.

Taors

I'll go to a midnight selling at Books-A-Million if I can. I did for the 5th book and it was a good time all around. Lots of cool people. :)

Friday

mappchik

There is an argument going in our house about Snape/Dumbledore. Somebody (he-who-must-not-be-named-as-I-think-he's-off-his-rocker) is insisting that Dumbledore is not actually dead. That this whole thing is an elaborate ruse to force Voldemort into making his full play for control early. That this is why Snape "killed" Dumbledore, instead of allowing Draco to work up the courage to do it for real. And, as usual, Harry can know nothing about it until the end of Deathly Hallows.

I think Matt's crossing his storylines & characters with Zedd from the Sword of Truth series.

I think McGonagall is the obvious choice for Headmistress of Hogwarts. Don't know if she'll keep teaching, but Tonks could probably take over Transfiguration.

I don't think Draco is likely to die. He hasn't actually killed anyone yet, and there may be a chance of redemption for him. I look forward to seeing a take on punishment for the sins of the father.

Neville is going to kick some deatheater ass in this book.

I'm not sure about Ginny. Having Harry get the girl at the end is a bit too perfect. Unless it's spectacularly well done.

QuoteSnape was in love with Lily.  That's why he has always hated Harry; he blames Harry for her death (because he's not big enough to admit to himself that he himself is far more responsible).  And yes... he will squeal.

Great point. I'm not sure he blames Harry for her death, as Snape himself has stepped between danger and his students (including Harry) on several occasions. I think he blames James for Lily's death, and is unable to think of Harry as anything other than James' son. If Matt's Snape theory doesn't pan out, I do expect to see a squealing death.

Kat Kanning

I can't read it until Kira comes back from CA!  :o

lildog

Ok allow me to geek out with the rest of you here and give my predictions...

Harry will die.  I'm almost certain.  Everyone he loves is dead and he has more connections to the spirit world then the live world.  He's also going to die willingly in a manor to take Voldomort with him.

Dumbledor is not dead.  There was a reason he continue to trust Snape when everyone else was convinced he was evil.  That reason hasn't come out yet.  If it weren't a true reason then it would have come out prior to his "killing" Dumbledor.

I think Snape in proving he is a good guy after all will end up dying.  Maybe dying saving one of the other students.

Draco is going to be left as a coward and a wimp.  He wont die but dying may have been a better fate for him.

Neville will turn out to be a great hero.  He's going to do something amazing.

I was going to go to one of the midnight book sales.  Haven't been to one yet but they sound like fun.  Not sure where though.  Anyone know of any big ones going on near Merrimack?

lowen

Who the hell is Harry Potter and what the hell is a Dumbledore???

Lloyd Danforth

lildog

By the way is anyone going to be doing Ron Paul sign waves at any of the Harry Potter events this weekend?  It would be a great time and place to do it since there will be media covering the events and you'll be likely to get a lot of people unfamiliar with politics who will likely vote for who the media leads them by the nose toward.  This could be a great chance to open their eyes to someone they don't know about.

SethCohn

Some people are already reading the book....  :icon_pirat:

Someone photographed every page, and posted them....  (a bit hard to read, due to the angle/contrast)

and now other people are retyping it by hand.... (much much easier to read then)
So far, Chapters 1-10 are out there.... so if you cannot wait, relief is a few clicks away...

(We now return you to your sethfree nhfree, already in progress)

Kat Kanning

Quote from: lildog on July 18, 2007, 01:12 PM NHFT
By the way is anyone going to be doing Ron Paul sign waves at any of the Harry Potter events this weekend?  It would be a great time and place to do it since there will be media covering the events and you'll be likely to get a lot of people unfamiliar with politics who will likely vote for who the media leads them by the nose toward.  This could be a great chance to open their eyes to someone they don't know about.

Oh geez!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Kat Kanning

U.S. college students seek the magic of Quidditch

By Jon Hurdle 1 hour, 6 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Stephen Dewey knows he lacks the magic to play Quidditch quite like they do in the Harry Potter novels but he does all he can to create an authentic experience for fans of the teenage wizard.
ADVERTISEMENT

Dewey, a student at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, organizes the campus Quidditch club of about 40 Potter devotees imitating the aerial game of the book series.

Although Bucknell has not played its first official game -- that is expected in September -- Dewey's club has received $150 from the college to buy supplies, including hula hoops and a volleyball that stands in for the fictional "quaffle."

Also on the equipment list are the brooms on which J.K. Rowling's Quidditch players fly around during games and which Bucknell players are required to hold between their legs.

"I wanted to emulate the magical nature you find in Harry Potter books," said Dewey, 20, a student of music and education. But he admits he has to make concessions to reality. "A lot of that you can't really replicate exactly because we are not witches and wizards."

Bucknell's Quidditch players follow the rules, adopted by some 10 other U.S. Quidditch-playing colleges, which come from the Potter books.

Each team consists of 12 to 15 players, seven of whom are on the field at a time. They include a "keeper" to defend the hoops through which scores are made; "chasers" whose job it is to put the quaffle through the hoops; and "beaters" who throw balls called "bludgers" at their opponents.

There is also a "seeker" who chases the elusive "golden "snitch" around campus during the game. The capture of the snitch, usually after about 15 minutes, signals the end of the game.

Dewey described the sport as "mildly full-contact" and said it requires some athletic ability, particularly for seekers, who are typically cross-country runners. It appeals equally to men and women, he said.

Players have worn outlandish garb including swimming goggles and capes made out of shower curtains and bed sheets.

Dewey said he's received "some puzzled looks" when recruiting but that even the skeptics want to know more. He suspects they are secretly Harry Potter fans.

"They are usually curious to know how I could make this into a playing game," he said. "Running around on brooms does appeal to a surprising number of college students."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070718/us_nm/arts_potter_quidditch_dc

Dreepa

Quote from: lildog on July 18, 2007, 01:12 PM NHFT
lildog.. if you organize  it they will come.
Hell maybe I will stay up that late and do it with you.

Meetup has 200+ people... some may join up!
Gotta plan fast as only a few more days.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: SethCohn on July 18, 2007, 01:39 PM NHFT
(We now return you to your sethfree nhfree, already in progress)

Seth for Underground President:  We need absentee leadership!