• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

release of the final Harry Potter novel

Started by Friday, February 01, 2007, 12:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rochelle

Oh good, someone found this thread again. I tried to, but gave up :P

I reread the series, all but book 4 because I only have that one in Spanish at the moment. And it was really good...and I felt sad at the end again, mainly because of Remus and Tonks. I felt even more upset about it when I found out that she had opted to kill them off in Mr Weasley's place and originally they were going to live! Dammit! I knew those deaths didn't feel right to me :(

After rereading it, I do feel a bit more sorry for Snape, but I still think that his love for Lily was downright creepy, especially as JK Rowling always used the word "greedily" to describe how he looked at her...creepy. I imagine if he had been a bit more willing to change, his life might have ended up better :(

d_goddard

Quote from: Rochelle on September 07, 2007, 10:21 PM NHFT
I do feel a bit more sorry for Snape, but I still think that his love for Lily was downright creepy, especially as JK Rowling always used the word "greedily" to describe how he looked at her

Would you want a mate who didn't look at you "greedily?"

Rochelle

QuoteWould you want a mate who didn't look at you "greedily?"
I would prefer lovingly. The way it was used to describe Snape made it sound creepy. Would you want some guy watching you "greedily" all the time, especially if you didn't feel the same way about him? That would be disturbing. Besides, that along with the bit of dialog where Snape tells Lily he won't let her.. and she catches him and says "you won't let me WHAT?" makes me believe that Snape would have been a more obsessive controlling type in a relationship, anyway.

Friday

Oh. My. God.  They just made a movie out of the book I have probably read more times than any other book, ever: Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising.  I can't believe I didn't hear a word about it, and it was just released yesterday.  I still have time to see it on opening weekend.   :blob6:

I sure hope it doesn't suck.  I'm still in therapy over "Johnny Mnemonic".  :-X

SethCohn

From an new interview with JK:
[snipped]

Q: ...what were the lessons that you hope to impart to the next generation?

A: ...So you ask what lessons, I suppose. The Potter books in general are a prolonged argument for tolerance, a prolonged plea for an end to bigotry, and I think ti's one of the reasons that some people don't like the books, but I think that's it's a very healthy message to pass on to younger people that you should question authority and you should not assume that the establishment or the press tells you all of the truth.

Worth reading, including a big revelation about Dumbledore.

d_goddard

I knew he was gay ever since that minty hippie dude started playing Dumbledore in Chamber of Secrets

dalebert

Actually, up until the last couple of books, I was beginning to wonder if Harry was gay.

Rochelle

It never occurred to me to wonder, really, anymore than I thought to wonder what Dumbledore's wand was made out of.
Book 7 makes a lot more sense now.

But I'm still pissed about Remus and Tonks  >:(

d_goddard

Quote from: Rochelle on October 23, 2007, 06:02 PM NHFT
Me too... no graphic descriptions of the sex.
A werewolf and a changeling... HUBBA HUBBA!

Rochelle

Quote from: d_goddard on October 23, 2007, 06:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rochelle on October 23, 2007, 06:02 PM NHFT
Me too... no graphic descriptions of the sex.
A werewolf and a changeling... HUBBA HUBBA!

Er....
....um....
*wonders about this side of Denis*
....actually I was referring to the fact that JK Rowling stated in interviews that Mr Weasley was supposed to die instead but since he got a last minute reprieve, she had to find someone else to kill off...and picked Remus and Tonks, who were initially supposed to live.

That makes me so bitter.
I demand a Happy End!

SethCohn

Quote from: Rochelle on October 23, 2007, 06:41 PM NHFT
....actually I was referring to the fact that JK Rowling stated in interviews that Mr Weasley was supposed to die instead but since he got a last minute reprieve, she had to find someone else to kill off...and picked Remus and Tonks, who were initially supposed to live.

That makes me so bitter.
I demand a Happy End!

She discussed this in the interview above... she later felt that it took the story in the wrong direction, in the larger sense, to kill off Weasley.

Friday

Although it's sad (Remus was one of my fave characters), I think there's a certain rightness, in the classical romantic sense, to the cursed lovers dying gloriously in the battle of the century.  Remus was always suffering due to his "condition", and the two of them were going to be social pariahs wherever they settled down.  Their child would be teased and ostracized because of his parents.  Now the child is free to only share his true heritage with friends or those he knows won't hold it against him.  And the lovers died together, fulfilling their destiny of fighting evil.

As someone who married a :kermit: , I can relate to Tonks.  I can't believe how many mean, bigoted and hateful things I've read about the French on this very forum, as well as on the FSP forum.  I guess some people think it's OK if they're, you know... French.   :P  Or have "lunar cycle issues".  Or are of less than 100% pure wizarding ancestry.

dalebert

There was a pretty cool French guy at Porcfest this year.  :)

SethCohn

Quote from: Friday on October 24, 2007, 06:57 AM NHFT
As someone who married a :kermit:

You married a muppet?  I'll refrain from any Miss Piggy jokes, cause I'm pretty much a muppet myself, and people in felt houses shouldn't throw stones.

obMuppetJoke: It's not easy being green, especially when you have a hand way up your butt.

See more muppetry when I do Karaoke... Rainbow Connection is my usual song.