• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Movies

Started by Kat Kanning, March 28, 2005, 07:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

I guess the guy shooting people and yelling hot damn or whatever the sentiment was....that's not glorifying violence.  Then there was the looting in space part...

ken

The People vs. Larry Flynt!!  ;D

tracysaboe

Quote from: katdillon on November 04, 2005, 08:45 AM NHFT
I guess the guy shooting people and yelling hot damn or whatever the sentiment was....that's not glorifying violence.  Then there was the looting in space part...

They were looting a mercinary company that was being paid soley by the government.

If you listened to the diolog Captain says, "sorry but, this isn't your money in the first place."

Because it's not. It's money the Alliance stole to pay these thugs.

For the most part, the crew of the firefly, only steal from the government. That's not really stealing. It's taking back what was your to begin with.

Tracy

Eli

They must be talking about "Trainjob."? That was the replacement pilot, it was written over a weekend.? Rent the DVD's and watch the first ep (also entitled Serenity).? Fox aired it last.? Casts the characters in a much more sympathetic light.?

If you are talking about Serenity (the ep, not the movie) then yes, the first scene is violent, but it is about the absurdity of war, and about the foolishness of thinking a righteous cause will protect you/make you victoreous.? Kat, you aren't a pacifist are you?? If it comes to actually fighting the good fight, you aren't going to accuse your own people of 'glorifying violence' just for rallying the troops, are you?

Kat Kanning

Well I hadn't planned on it, but sounds like a good idea.  When is killing a good thing?  Even if it's protecting your family, how can killing be good?  Necessary maybe, but good?

Eli

Hmm, did I say killing was good?  I don't see that.  I did say "fight the good fight"  which, yes could involve killing.  When is killing good?  I guess that it depends on what you mean by good.  I think you and I mean pretty different things in "good."  If you are asking me if I think there are times when killing is a moral action, then yes. Unequivicolly, yes.  Killing an agressor is a moral action, and therefore, good and rational in my opinion.  Giving me no more pause, to quote 'Win Bear'  (the character, not the poster, unless the poster is the author,) than to kill a rattlesnake.  Furthermore, killing facist murdering agressors, like Franco or Hitler or Stalin seem equally good to me.  Killing the idiots who take up arms for those people gives me a moments pause, but not enough of a pause to let them reach the trigger first.  If I didn't think such an action good killing them would give to much pause to the action of self defense.   If I thought it wasn't good, I couldn't do it.  I will give my life for somethings, but not for thinking that 'killing' is inherently bad.  Absurd, maybe.  Tragic, certainly.  But I think my own death, or that of someone near and dear, or even someone who wants freedom,  is more tragic.  So, yeah.  Killing can be good.

Eli

Can you really have a good, a bad, and a necessary column in moral thought Kat?  Sounds like stalinism to me.

free55

Quote from: katdillon on November 07, 2005, 08:29 AM NHFT
Well I hadn't planned on it, but sounds like a good idea.? When is killing a good thing?? Even if it's protecting your family, how can killing be good?? Necessary maybe, but good?

Killing bin Laden would be good.  i've already volunteered.

Michael Fisher

The Island!!!

That movie is a spychip, Big Brother, totalitarian, dystopian nightmare.   :o

But it's worth watching for the ending.  :)

Kat Kanning

Pro-freedom film group announces awards
'Cinderella Man,' 'Narnia' get 1st 2 spots on list of top 10
Posted: March 2, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

? 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

American Film Renaissance has announced its list of the best movies of 2005, with "Cinderella Man" and "The Chronicles of Narnia" winning the top two spots.

A group of movie producers, directors, screenwriters, actors and journalists from across the nation "who share AFR's ideals," the organization said, voted for the top films and best documentaries of the year.

American Film Renaissance is a is a nonprofit film institute that sponsors festivals showcasing movies "that reflect the principles that made America great, such as free speech, free enterprise, freedom of religion, rugged individualism, and the triumph of the human spirit," AFR said in a statement.

"Our voters chose films that are not only of high aesthetic quality, but also have redeeming qualities that most Americans identify with," said Jim Hubbard, president and founder of American Film Renaissance.

"In a year when the average box office of the movies nominated by the Academy was the lowest since 1984, we believe our list of the top movies better reflects the taste and spirit of the American people."

Just one of the top five films on AFR's list was nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award, which will be awarded Sunday.

AFR's Top 10 films of 2005 are:

1. "Cinderella Man"
   2. "The Chronicles of Narnia"
   3. "Walk the Line"
   4. "Crash"
   5. "Downfall"
   6. "Pride and Prejudice"
   7. "Batman Begins"
   8. "The World's Fastest Indian"
   9. "Capote"
  10. "King Kong"

The winners of best feature documentaries are:

1. "March of the Penguins"
   2. "Grizzly Man"
   3. "Mad Hot Ballroom"
   4. "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room"
   5. "Murderball"

Noted Hubbard: "Hollywood is increasingly disconnected from the American public. Our award list is intended to help the movie industry elite find their way back into the mainstream."

KBCraig

I admit I don't pay a lot of attention to current movies, although I'm usually culturally aware enough to know what's in the theaters. (The last movie Mary and I saw together in the theater was Men In Black II. It was a new release.)

So, I was surprised to read on the FSP forum about an upcoming release that has been completely below my radar: "V for Vendetta". This is a major release from Warner Brothers, starring Natalie Portman.

Tag line: "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

The website even includes an educational section on Guy Fawkes!  :o

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

Some people are talking about passing out FSP flyers outside of the theaters, and, maybe advertizing in papers before the release.
We passed out libertarian flyers outside of a theater showing "The Strawberry Statement" a million years ago and snagged some new libs, one of whom  I still know.

Dreepa

Quote from: katdillon on March 02, 2006, 04:22 AM NHFT
   5. "Murderball"

I watched Murderball last night.

Has anyone watched
'Why we fight?'

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Dreepa on March 02, 2006, 11:22 AM NHFT
Has anyone watched
'Why we fight?'

Not yet. It's in my Netflix queue, though.

KBCraig

Quote from: Dreepa on March 02, 2006, 11:22 AM NHFT
Has anyone watched
'Why we fight?'

Are you talking about the classic Frank Capra WWII series?