• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Movies

Started by Kat Kanning, March 28, 2005, 07:57 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

vermass

We'll be going to see V For Vendetta Fri!
      Kat I dissagree that killing is never good. I think the problem is that decent people are so unlikly to take the life of another. The bastards in charge (and they are in charge) do not value life except their own. The US government has killed more Iraqi's than Saddam ever did. His trial's an hypocracy. When will they try Bush for the Iraqi lives he's taken? If more decent people would just be a little less decent the world would be a better place. Those who seek power will do anything to obtain it but those who wish to live and let live do not take the offensive, it's not our way and therein lies the paradox. How do you live free when others who wish to keep you enslaved are in power and will kill to keep you enslaved without you yourself killing? Terrorism as curently defined by our government is the tool of the desperate and the oppressed. Anyone who wishes to live any other way than the one perscibed by our government must become a terrorist.
      Back when I had a government worshiper mindset I volunteered to go to Desert Storm. I volunteeered every week. I figured no matter why they're doing it the war must be in the best interest of the people of the United States of America. At the time I was a warrior. I'd been trained by the government and served four years in the Airborne infantry without any "action". I had been an excellent soldier and could hump a full arctic ruck and two PRC 77's all day long on a quart of water. I was an excellent RTO (so excellent that my platoon sergeant refused to let me do anything else). I didn't care. One day I got my wish and they sent me. The war started about three weeks after we arrived. I was there through the whole thing and VOLUNTEERED to stay after my unit went home! When it was all over and I was back I never went to another drill again (as I said by this time I was in the reserves). I wrote the Department of the Army a letter about how bullshit the whole thing was. Those paople aren't THAT different than us. Iraqi's are more like we are than the damn Saudi's. You want to talk about an ass backwards country, Saudi Arabia's about as bad a human rights violator as you can find. The people in the middle east by the way, all hate each other.  Different tribes, different countries, different religios, whatever, they hate each other.Fear each other whatever. They have for a VERY long time been able to agree on one thing: hating the Jews even worse than they hate each other. Now they have something new to hate even worse than they hate the Jews I think: America. People think the government is keeping us SAFE. Shit, they're a bunch of (well I won't say what I was thinkin so as not to offend the religious among us). Anyway JMHO

burnthebeautiful

I agree with The Castle and The People Vs Larry Flynt. The speach given in the latter has been a big inspiration lately with the Mohammed cartoons. Also

* Demolition Man - California has been turned into a facist state where everything that's "bad" for you is illegal, including fast food, sex, swearing and guns. Edgar Friendly (Denis Leary) is the leader of a free underground (literally) society.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106697/

* Equilibrium - Another movie that depicts a future 1984-esque society where having feelings is illegal and everyone lives their lives solely to serve the state.

Tagline: In a future where freedom is outlawed outlaws will become heroes.

Plot Outline: In a Fascist future where all forms of feeling are illegal, a man in charge of enforcing the law rises to overthrow the system.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

intergraph19

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on March 13, 2006, 12:27 PM NHFT
* Demolition Man - California has been turned into a facist state where everything that's "bad" for you is illegal, including fast food, sex, swearing and guns. Edgar Friendly (Denis Leary) is the leader of a free underground (literally) society.

An awesome movie, and one that I will have to own one of these days.  Too much of that movie is just so good and the social commentary was humorous enough that it didn't turn most people off although I don't think it did well either.

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: intergraph19 on March 13, 2006, 12:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: burnthebeautiful on March 13, 2006, 12:27 PM NHFT

An awesome movie, and one that I will have to own one of these days.  Too much of that movie is just so good and the social commentary was humorous enough that it didn't turn most people off although I don't think it did well either.

I talked about the movie with two of my friends and they completely missed the point of the film. They laughed at me for thinking it was cool that there was an outlaw underground society. "Haha you think it's cool that there are a bunch of losers that eat rats lolz" ::) It completely went over their heads that the society was facist and oppresive, they just thought all the futuristic stuff was cool ::)

intergraph19

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on March 13, 2006, 12:51 PM NHFT
I talked about the movie with two of my friends and they completely missed the point of the film. They laughed at me for thinking it was cool that there was an outlaw underground society. "Haha you think it's cool that there are a bunch of losers that eat rats lolz" ::) It completely went over their heads that the society was facist and oppresive, they just thought all the futuristic stuff was cool ::)

LOL  somehow that does not suprise me much.  I long since gave up trying to discuss such things with most people.  Acctually, I gave up discussing MOST of my thoughts with most people.  I find it's hard for me to find someone who can appriciate my way of thinking and be smart enough to understand it as well.

Tunga

LOCAL HERO

Great soundtrack by Mark Knopfler too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/

Tunga

Quote from: Pat K on November 03, 2005, 01:29 AM NHFT
Well fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

Chef quits South Park over Scientology slams.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=televisionNews&storyID=uri:2006-03-14T013323Z_01_N13192246_RTRIDST_0_TELEVISION-SOUTHPARK-DC.XML&pageNumber=0&summit=

"In ten years and over 150 episodes of 'South Park,' Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews," Stone said in a statement issued by the Comedy Central network. "He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show."

Dreepa

It would be great if the make a mockery out of the character Chef now.  Maybe he can be a different religion each episode.

Russell Kanning

oh they wouldn't do anything like that.....

Recumbent ReCycler

One DVD that I have is BUSTED http://www.flexyourrights.org/busted/movie_clips.  It's a guide to "Protect your constitutional rights during police encounters".  I have used some of the techniques that they suggest, and have been able to stay out of trouble the last more than three times I was pulled over.  I have so many of those written warnings that I might as well make collecting them a hobby.  If anyone wants to watch it, I'd be willing to share.

KBCraig

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep141.html

Don't fall for false mask being put on 'Vendetta'

March 14, 2006

BY RICHARD ROEPER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Headline from Monday's Drudge Report: "In the Wachowskis' bizarre V FOR VENDETTA, the hero -- yes, hero -- wants to blow up London."

Technically accurate. Journalistically? Wildly misleading. Imagine that.

The Drudge headline is a link to a story/review posted on Time.com. The story has this lead-in:

"The directors of 'The Matrix' make a movie where the hero is a faceless terrorist trying to blow up London. Yes, you read that right."

A reviewer for Newsweek chimes in: "The film may spark interesting debates -- about the nature of terrorism and governments, about the inalienable rights of artists to shock and provoke -- but what we're dealing with is a lackluster comic-book movie that thinks 'terrorist' is a synonym for 'revolutionary.' "

Well. Not really.

N for Not-so-Subtle

You're going to be hearing a lot about "V for Vendetta" this week -- from people who have seen the movie, and from commentators who will tell you they don't need to actually watch the film to condemn it as a pro-terrorism piece of garbage.

Deep breath. Let's take a moment to discuss what the movie is really about.

Based on the acclaimed series of comic books by Alan Moore, "V for Vendetta" is set in the London in an alternate universe of the near future -- about 20 years from now. (Moore was burned by Hollywood when "A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was turned into one of the worst films in recent memory. He has disassociated himself from the movie version of "V for Vendetta.") That means it's fictional London.

Although the time frame is in the not-too-distant future, the London depicted in the movie bears only a structural resemblance to today's reality.

If World War II had been different

In "V," Big Brother has taken over Britain. The fascist leader of the country (played by John Hurt) is a Hitlerian tyrant who spews invective on giant monitors placed everywhere. Free speech, homosexuality and artistic expression have been outlawed; citizens must abide by a curfew; and the streets are controlled by secret police. The government has conducted gruesome medical experiments on innocent citizens, with tragic and horrific results.

In short, the London in "V for Vendetta" looks like the world if Germany had won World War II.

There's no mistaking the Nazi imagery throughout the film, from Hurt's performance to the uniforms worn by the police to the flags adorning the city. The Wachowski brothers stopped just short of having Hurt sporting a Hitler mustache.

Terrorist or hero?

Like the anti-heroes in "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Beauty and the Beast," the masked creature known as V is a conflicted, tortured soul who falls for an innocent beauty and brings her into his hidden world.

Is V a terrorist? The oppressive government labels him as such. He tells Natalie Portman's Evey, "Blowing up a building can change the world." At one point she calls him a monster. He's also borderline insane, as Evey learns the hard way.

Still: Is he a terrorist? Of course, the real-life criminals that bombed subway trains and a bus in London last summer are terrorists, thugs, monsters. But that doesn't mean every act of blowing up a building is an act of terrorism. If we knew Osama bin Laden was alone in a building right now, would blowing up that building be an act of terrorism?

The villains in V are many. There's the Hitler-like dictator. His ruthless henchmen. A pedophile bishop. A hate-filled commentator who worked in a torture camp.

These are the power elite that V wants to destroy. The London in "V for Vendetta" is not the real London. In the London of "V," taking down the government would be an act of heroism, not terrorism.

Dreepa

I guess it depends how you define terrorist... one who inspires Terror.?

intergraph19

Quote from: Dreepa on March 14, 2006, 07:38 PM NHFT
I guess it depends how you define terrorist... one who inspires Terror.?

Yes, but terror at what exactly?  With that definition, spiders could be sonsidered terrorists...at least to people who are scared as heck of them...*looks innocent*

Pat K

Sounds like they are trying to throw a mokey wrench is the works early.

I mean what kind of sick people belive that people shoudn't be afraid of their goverments but that goverments should be afraid of the people.

Only the really demented like say MR. Jefferson.

And we can't have folks thinking about that now can we.

Tunga

They killed Chef! Those BASTARDS!!!!