• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

sweet nature

Started by Beth221, February 04, 2007, 10:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth221

what is the best type of maple syrup from new hampshire??

Dreepa

fresh... straight from the tree.

AlanM

So long as it's pure, no additives, it's ALL good.  :)

Beth221

there isnt a place that makes it, that has the best??  super grade aaaa kind?  and i though you had to cook it before eating it??  Hmmm..  Ok, well i guess thats it, any kind is good, i just dont like the grocery store kind, blah, has brown #5 or something in it for color..  yucky

earthhaven

My dad used to make maple syrup. I would have to say it's best straight off the burner.

Beth221

home made?  hmm thats interesting, is it easy to make it in ones kitchen?? 

KBCraig

Quote from: Beth221 on February 05, 2007, 01:52 AM NHFT
home made?  hmm thats interesting, is it easy to make it in ones kitchen?? 

Maple sap + heat + time = maple syrup.

Syrup is made by boiling the water out of sap ("reducing" it, in culinary terminology), until you have  a thickened sweet result.

The key is knowing how much heat, and how much time. Oh, and having your own sugar bush grove, for the essential raw ingredient. ;-)

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

If you have access to some trees and don't need a lot of syrup, you could try making your own.  The stuff that comes out of the tree is like water.  You have to boil it down to get the syrup.  You have to watch out or you can burn it.  It takes 40 gallons of the stuff that comes out of the tree to make one gallon of syrup.
Your house may smell pleasant doing this, but, you might get tired of the sweet smell.
Syrup does come in different grades.  I'm sure a Google search would explain them.

Russell Kanning

didn't Shorty just drink it straight for an energy boost while hiking?

AlanM

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 05, 2007, 08:03 AM NHFT
didn't Shorty just drink it straight for an energy boost while hiking?

Ayuh.

Lloyd Danforth

At least during a few weeks in March

aworldnervelink

Did anyone see the Dunkin Donuts commercial during the Super Bowl. That was a good one.

Beth221

what one?  i missed a few commercials on my long walk to the bathroom..  im walking like a turtle here.. the doritoes one was good, and i liked the turtle one.  but no one really impressed me.. 

Vote Tyler Stearns

During sugaring season you can drive around NH's back roads and find sugar houses boiling down sap and making delish maple syrup. 

Go online here for a list of NH producers:  http://www.nhmapleproducers.com/house.html

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: malevil on February 05, 2007, 10:34 AM NHFT
During sugaring season you can drive around NH's back roads and find sugar houses boiling down sap and making delish maple syrup. 

Go online here for a list of NH producers:  http://www.nhmapleproducers.com/house.html

Yup, that's the way to go -- fresh and local is the best!!