• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

49th state to pass seat-belt law?

Started by burnthebeautiful, February 05, 2007, 10:42 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

burnthebeautiful

I want to know how many years NH has been the only state without a seat-belt law for adults. New Hampshire is the only state to not require people over 18 to wear a set-belt, but does anyone know which state passed a seat-belt law most recently? I'd love to see a time-line of some kind. Finding out the dates of when anti-liberty laws came into effect is a hobby of mine.

aries

I'd say it was probably in the early nineties

Russell Kanning

NH the exception to the rule. :)
The Shire .... the exception to all the rules. ;D

Russell Kanning

I haven't worn belts in years .... and in NH they don't even look in the car to see if you are complying. :)

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: Dreepa on February 06, 2007, 08:40 AM NHFT
You might like this link:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outreach/state_laws-belts04/safeylaws-states.htm

According to that link, Illinois and Delaware were the latest states to pass primary seat-belt laws; In 2003. Texas, North Carolina and Hawaii were the first states to pass primary seat-belt laws, back in 1985. The strictest state is Washington, where the law covers everyone of any age in any seat, and the fine is $101! Interesting. It also seems like many states laws say you only have to wear a seat-belt in the front seat.

Unfortunately the site does not state when secondary seat-belt laws were passed. Looks like I'll have to keep Googling.

Hoppester

Yes, Washington State is awful.  I live here and have to deal with the propaganda ("Click It Or Ticket" is the condescending slogan lately).  They also are very harsh on drunk driving ("Drive Hammered, Get Nailed").  I don't know how they compare nationally on that front, but I do recall the commercials showing only men in their 20's to 40's.

Luckily I'm moving to NH in the next couple of months!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 06, 2007, 03:53 PM NHFT
I haven't worn belts in years .... and in NH they don't even look in the car to see if you are complying. :)

Yes, they do.

Russell Kanning

teach you to live in concord .... too near the beast

Lloyd Danforth

aries

interesting many states only require it in front seats

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: aries on February 11, 2007, 02:17 PM NHFT
interesting many states only require it in front seats

The only logic I can find in this is that in the event of an accident people in the back seat will fly into the seat in front of them rather than out the front window