• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FoxPro Developer Opening in Keene, NH

Started by eques, February 05, 2007, 12:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

eques

I received a note from Monster.com about a FoxPro Developer Opening in Keene for a duration of 2+ months.

Qualifications:

The following skills, abilities and experience are essential to this
position:

*        Deep expertise in Microsoft Visual FoxPro
*        Experience in converting / porting FoxPro applications to other
technical environments such as .Net and SQL Server.
*        The candidate needs to also have strong requirements definition,
communication, and analytical skills to design and build a solution.

The headhunter is Global Technical Talent (www.gttit.com).

I don't know if I'm qualified, but I figure I'll respond to it anyway... of course, the commute would absolutely kill me.  You never know if there's anybody local who could use that job.  There would certainly be no hard feelings on my part.

error

eques

Quote from: error on February 05, 2007, 12:33 PM NHFT
People still use that crap?

Yeaaahh....

At least this position seems aimed at moving away from it.

Made2Manage, a fairly widespread ERP solution, used to be a 100% FoxPro product.  Now, most of the database lies within a SQL Server, but the workstations are all running a FoxPro executable.

I once decompiled it to see if I would be able to automate a specific function.  I was finally able to decide that, no, I could not--and I didn't want to merely replicate the functionality even though I had the code, because if a bugfix came through and I wasn't around... well... y'know.

error

Well, if they're moving from FoxPro to .NET and SQL Server, count me out.

eques

Can't say I disagree with you...

I can feel the desperation setting in over here, though.  I can't quite figure out what it is I am doing wrong.

error

Quote from: eques on February 05, 2007, 12:43 PM NHFT

I can feel the desperation setting in over here, though.  I can't quite figure out what it is I am doing wrong.

You're working for THE MAN.

Oh.

Aside from that, you're using Microsoft software. ;D

AlexLibman

Oh, jeez, FoxPro...

:violent4:

I don't have a problem with using MS software from time to time, and I don't mind going old school if there's a reason, but not the dead end retro crap...

eques

Quote from: error on February 05, 2007, 12:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: eques on February 05, 2007, 12:43 PM NHFT

You're working for THE MAN.

Oh.

Aside from that, you're using Microsoft software. ;D

I meant, I certainly don't disagree with you re: Microsoft software... the desperation is more related to "don't have income" and I am apparently lacking in enough imagination to come up with something to rectify that other than going on interviews.  :(

Russell Kanning

Doing volunteer work that you like can introduce yourself to a lot of people in town and let them know that you can get stuff done. It seems to start good conversations.

error

I have my own clients in my own little niche. Mostly individuals making their own small businesses on the net. They ask me for highly customized web apps, and I deliver. It's, er, rewarding work, and virtually free of government interference.

Russell Kanning

Well if you got this job Eques .... you could help them out and possibly help them head towards better solutions ..... and join us in Keene. :) We love it here in "The Shire", but then anyone can experience it by ignoring the government bullies.

eques

Ah, the ulterior motive shows itself!  ;D

Actually, that did cross my mind... of course, I wouldn't be moving right away, and for a daily commute, Ashland to Keene is "can't get the-ah from he-ah."

I was thinking, "hmm, what if I was able to bunk at somebody's house?"

Oh... yeah... one other thing... software programming produces a very bored eques... and then a very frustrated eques because eques is unmotivated... and then a depressed eques... and then eques just ends up losing it and does something unintelligent.

So....  I don't know what to do.  And, unfortunately, I don't think anybody else can actually answer that for me.

eques

Er...

Sorry for the display of a lousy attitude today.  I wish I could blame it on something.

Spencer

Quote from: eques on February 05, 2007, 07:11 PM NHFT
Er...

Sorry for the display of a lousy attitude today.  I wish I could blame it on something.

At least your not still referring to yourself in the third person . . . That's a sign of a slightly improved attitude.