• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Dollar Associate

Started by SAK, February 12, 2007, 07:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Roycerson

Quote from: stitcherman on February 13, 2007, 08:44 PM NHFT
                              http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/silver_nwtmintbullion.php

AWESOME!!  WAY better price and none of that fraudulent "it's not tied to the USD but since the value of silver rose in comparison to the USD we're gonna change the denomination and charge you a re-minting fee" BS.  Say's One Troy Ounce just like it should.  I'm so happy I could pee.

I don't by that crap about face values.  Not with an educated populace.  To me one ounce = one ounce and these are WAY cheaper.  I wouldn't try to pass them off as twenty dollars and I'd never accept a liberty dollar as twenty dollars.  Anything more than a couple dollars over spot is fraud.

Lloyd Danforth

Liberty Dollar Dealers welcome to come to Burning Porcupine Festival and defraud the willing!

http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=11858.0

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Roycerson on November 06, 2007, 11:45 PM NHFT
Say's One Troy Ounce just like it should.
It shouldn't say "One Troy Ounce" because that's not a valid measurement. It should say how many grams.

Quote from: Roycerson on November 06, 2007, 11:45 PM NHFT
I don't by that crap about face values.  Not with an educated populace.
The problem is that we don't have an educated populace. The populace is used to using face values and will not accept "ounces" as real.

The Liberty Dollar is a necessary step in educating the populace.

Kat Kanning

So are they going to have to print something higher than $20 on the liberty dollars soon?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 07, 2007, 07:37 AM NHFT
So are they going to have to print something higher than $20 on the liberty dollars soon?

Ron is scratching 30$ on his old ones as we speak

Roycerson

Quote from: Ron Helwig on November 07, 2007, 07:35 AM NHFT
The problem is that we don't have an educated populace. The populace is used to using face values and will not accept "ounces" as real.

The Liberty Dollar is a necessary step in educating the populace.

When I first looked into the liberty dollar they were just going up to $20, I learned that they are overpriced and dishonest.  I can think of better things to educate the populace about.  It might lead many to think that silver rounds are overpriced and dishonest.  Not to say that everyone who uses a liberty dollar is dishonest, just everyone who claims they are equivalent to $20.  Like Norfed.

While an "educated populace" is an infinitely flexible term, our populace is far more educated than the one referred to by that guy who types in red.  We understand arithmetic, weights and measures, and X% pure.  I don't think that plated copper stuff would pass as same face value in today's world.  Wouldn't pass with me.  I can see how if someone got stuck with them they would choose to spend them before any others though.  Even then people preferred to keep the real one's and get rid of the fakes.

Quote from: lawofattraction on November 07, 2007, 07:50 AM NHFT
What is not valid about a troy ounce?

This...and

Dollars aren't a valid measurement.  Maybe you missed the FTL episode.  A measurement of what?  What does one dollar represent?

I just got my first NHFree bitchslap.  You trying to keep me from being rude?  Or just from saying what I think?

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 07, 2007, 07:37 AM NHFT

At what point did they go from 10-20?  Wasn't it somewhere around $11 spot?  I could be wrong.  I'd say they'll make the switch at same ratio.  if 11 then 22, if 9 then 18 or something like that.  A little while to go yet.  I believe they intend to.

Fragilityh14

one troy oz = 31.1 grams

how is that not valid?

Roycerson

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on November 07, 2007, 09:22 AM NHFT
one troy oz = 31.1 grams

how is that not valid?

I agree with Ron so far as grams > troy ounces.  But less than ideal =/= invalid and either are preferable to dollars the value of which is arbitrarily adjusted from time to time. 

Any old chunk of silver certified to be x% pure would work for me.  I have a scale.

J’raxis 270145

A troy ounce is an archaic unit, and a bit confusing—there are only 12 of them per pound, instead of the 16 common avoirdupois ounces—but it's not really "invalid."

error

Print that out and hang it on the wall of your business?

Roycerson

Quote from: error on November 07, 2007, 01:00 PM NHFT
Print that out and hang it on the wall of your business?

No, just weigh commodity on your own scale in whichever unit you prefer.  Keep the printout in a binder under the counter with the old slide rules.

Ron Helwig

Ounces are units of weight. Grams are units of mass. Anyone who doesn't know that has no business spouting off about education.

As far as moving up the base, they have a published formula that depends on IIRC the 30 day moving average.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Ron Helwig on November 07, 2007, 05:53 PM NHFT
Ounces are units of weight. Grams are units of mass. Anyone who doesn't know that has no business spouting off about education.

As far as moving up the base, they have a published formula that depends on IIRC the 30 day moving average.

Ah, that's a good point. But unless you plan to take your gold into space or somesuch it makes little difference. ;)

Roycerson

Quote from: Ron Helwig on November 07, 2007, 05:53 PM NHFT

Mass is measured with a balance.  Weight with a scale.

How come my scale gives measurements in grams AND ounces?  What does my scale measure?  Mass or weight?  Then why does it give output in both grams and ounces?

I was under the impression that grams were metric and ounces ASE.  They both measure both weight and mass depending on what method used to measure.  A balance will remain constant no matter the gravity=mass.  A scale will change depending on gravity=weight.