• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Separation of School and Satan... I mean State

Started by YeahItsMeJP, March 29, 2005, 10:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

Yep, it was Jeanine.

Turns out Jeanine and I are sixth cousins, thrice removed.  :)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 05, 2005, 11:12 PM NHFT
I'm working up the courage to start doing individual protests at public schools.? The sign will say:

SCHOOL
IS
SLAVERY

NHFREE.COM

Kat and Russell, how did you make those professional looking signs on white cardboard?? Not the whiteboard ones with dry-erase markers - the other ones.? They looked like professionally printed signs, almost as good as the big LSF check that was over $100 to have professionally printed.

I drove around a bit today and could not find any of that type of board for a sign OR the letters that you put on the sign.

It's time to shake things up and I need a good sign.? ;)

Kat Kanning

Foam board (from Walmart, Staples, etc.), stencils, sharpies or other permanents markers...dry erase markers work on it too.

Michael Fisher

Here's an idea for us:

Story Nights Attract New Yorkers Like Moths to Flame
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=572&ncid=572&e=1&u=/nm/20050405/lf_nm/arts_moth_dc

"People are starved for connection," said Lea Thau, executive and creative director of The Moth, which still sees itself as building community. "Blackberries, Palm Pilots and all the rest are wonderful at communicating information. I'm not sure they get us to understand our humanity more. I think that's what stories do."

The five 10-minute tales were each as different as their storytellers onstage at The Moth -- a modern New York take on a tradition that stretches from Homer's epics to ghost stories around the camp fire.

The first meetings were in Green's living room. Since then, more than 35,000 people, through word of mouth, mailings and e-mail notices, have heard the call of the flame. Moth storytellers take to the stage about once a month in New York.

At Moth evenings, storytellers cannot read from scripts or notes and must tell stories around a predetermined theme.

On one recent night of pelting wet snow in Manhattan, singles and couples, mostly in their 20s, 30s or 40s, gathered at the club Crash Mansion to hear "New York Stories."

The night's proceeds benefited The Moth's outreach program, which works with high school students, youth programs and adults in rehabilitation.

"That's when the rush starts to build and people give you that feedback. The immediacy is a huge kick," he said.

Thau said an evening at The Moth, with its varied stories and settings, "will remind you that the world is vast and full of very different realities, and yet there's a common core."

------

This could be one of the methods used to reach out to teenagers.? Now we need to find or write some short stories with anti-school and pro-liberty themes.? Unfortunately, I do not read or write fiction.? ?:-\

Help?? lol

Michael Fisher

There was recently something in the news that a New Hampshire school was forcing children to come in on Saturdays to make up for time lost during winter storms.  They were also going to force community service work instead of holding classes.  This is supposed to happen during two Saturdays in the next month or two.

For some reason I thought this was a Portsmouth school, but maybe not.  I cannot find this news story anywhere.  Does anyone remember reading about this in the past week?

If we could find where they're being forced to do community service work, this would be the PERFECT time and place for anti-school protests!!!

Michael Fisher

Here's a similar story.  Apparently, it's going to be a statewide problem, and this probably happens quite often in New Hampshire because of winter storms.  That's a lot of potential protesting AND press.

------

End of school may be June 27
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/hampton/03252005/news/71919.htm

HAMPTON - After carefully counting to 180 days on his calendar a number of times, Superintendent James Gaylord has determined the last day of school for Hampton students could be almost a week later than the original Tuesday, June 21, date.
"The 180th day for students comes out to Monday, June 27," Gaylord explained to Hampton School Board members at their meeting on Monday. "And, the 188th day for teachers is Tuesday, June 28."

According to N.H. Department of Education requirements, there must be 180 scheduled days in the school year. As a result, taking into consideration days lost to bad weather and the town?s election activities, he recommended the students be required to attend classes until June 27.

"I?d like to dismiss students after lunch on that Monday," said Gaylord.

Other school boards in SAU 21 towns also have not yet determined the last day of school.

For the day to count with the state officials, School Board member Kenneth Stiles said, 50 percent of students must actually be in attendance. Stiles asked Gaylord if he thought enough students would show up on a Monday that late in June to meet the requirement.

Gaylord said he is confident students will attend. He said he was impressed last year when 95 percent of eighth-graders came to school after they?d officially graduated. That proved to Gaylord he could trust parents and their children to follow the rules and attend on June 27, even though it?s a Monday.

When board member John Bridle asked if Gaylord had considered adding a Saturday to the school year instead of keeping schools open so late, Gaylord said he had.

He also considered taking one day out of the upcoming April vacation week to get in the required 180 days of school.

However, he said, he still recommends going with June 27.

Members also discussed the possibility of adding a few minutes to the end of each day of school as a way of amassing extra hours to equal an additional day.

Gaylord wasn?t sure state education officials would consider that sufficient, since 180 days is specified and not a total number of hours. Nor was Gaylord sure adding time to each day was feasible, given the tight school bus schedule.

However, he agreed to run the suggestion by Department of Education officials before finally committing to June 27.

The School Board also elected officers for the coming year at Monday?s meeting and introduced newly elected board member Denyse Richter. Nancy Serpis retained her position as chairwoman, with Kenneth Stiles as vice chairman. Remaining board members are Sandra Nickerson and John Bridle.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 09, 2005, 06:50 AM NHFT
Here's an idea for us:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=572&ncid=572&e=1&u=/nm/20050405/lf_nm/arts_moth_dc

------

This could be one of the methods used to reach out to teenagers.  Now we need to find or write some short stories with anti-school and pro-liberty themes.  Unfortunately, I do not read or write fiction.   :-\

Help?  lol

Sounds fun! 

AlanM

Quote from: katdillon on April 09, 2005, 09:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 09, 2005, 06:50 AM NHFT
Here's an idea for us:

------

This could be one of the methods used to reach out to teenagers.? Now we need to find or write some short stories with anti-school and pro-liberty themes.? Unfortunately, I do not read or write fiction.? ?:-\

Help?? lol

Sounds fun!?

Shorty spent his life as a story-teller.  ;)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 08, 2005, 11:28 PM NHFT
Kat and Russell, how did you make those professional looking signs on white cardboard?? Not the whiteboard ones with dry-erase markers - the other ones.? They looked like professionally printed signs, almost as good as the big LSF check that was over $100 to have professionally printed.

I drove around a bit today and could not find any of that type of board for a sign OR the letters that you put on the sign.

It's time to shake things up and I need a good sign.? ;)
Which signs where you impressed with?
One of the times we were in Hampton with you....we had really nice signs that Barbara Burbank had made for us......she has a sign business. 8)

Otherwise it is Kat, Kira and Dada with stensils on foamboard. We just bought a couple more for April 15th from Walmart for $2 each. :)

tracysaboe

Odds and possibilities for abolishing the NH Dept of Education?

Seems like many people are already opposed to the state-wide Supreme Court Forced state-wide property tax for school. Would this disapear along with it, if that happened?

Tracy

Russell Kanning

I am not good with details....I just keep hammering away at the foundation >:D

Dave Ridley

<<Does everyone prefer to do this on the forum, rather
than the yahoo group?  We can do both and see which
one is more useful. >>

Yes we should do it on the forum, i can never reliably watch a yahoo group for long.   If it gets its own category we should, ideally, kill out an existing category so we don't have "category creep."

Dave Ridley

Here's a shorter sign idea Mike:

Escape
Jailschool
NHfree.com

Dave Ridley

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 09, 2005, 07:51 AM NHFT
There was recently something in the news that a New Hampshire school was forcing children to come in on Saturdays to make up for time lost during winter storms.? They were also going to force community service work instead of holding classes.? This is supposed to happen during two Saturdays in the next month or two.

For some reason I thought this was a Portsmouth school, but maybe not.? I cannot find this news story anywhere.? Does anyone remember reading about this in the past week?

If we could find where they're being forced to do community service work, this would be the PERFECT time and place for anti-school protests!!!

wow this would be a great opportunity for showing up and protesting "school slavery" if we can figure out where and when

CNHT

Quote from: YeahItsMeJP on March 30, 2005, 10:41 PM NHFT

Well, let's make it a Saturday morning perhaps in Peterborough??

May I ask, does this meeting replace the breakfast in Wilton on Saturday mornings? Or is this once a month in addition to the weekly breakfasts?