• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Walmart scaling back gun sales in NH

Started by CNHT, February 22, 2007, 11:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

Wal-Mart Scaling Back Guns Sales In New Hampshire

Web Editor:  Rebecca Stefansky, Producer 
Created: 2/22/2007 7:29:48 AM
Updated: 2/22/2007 7:30:11 AM

The world's largest retailer is scaling back its gun sales in New Hampshire, following a trend it started in other states last March.

Wal-Mart is the nation's leading gun seller. Yet the retail giant began removing guns from the first of about 1,000 stores last year, concluding that there wasn't enough demand to support gun sales. Instead, it decided to boost its offering of other sporting goods at those stores.

It's all part of Wal-Mart's "Store of the Community" strategy for boosting sales at stores by focusing on local differences in demand.

In New Hampshire, only 8 of Wal-Mart's 26 Supercenters and discount stores sell guns. That will drop to 5 once stores in Epping, Keene and Gorham sell out their stock. The remaining 5 stores selling firearms will be in Concord, Lebanon, Conway, Littleton and Hinsdale.

Stores in Amherst and Tilton stopped selling guns last year.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=53204

LiveFree

The one in Tilton still has guns, so they must be selling off their stock still.  So long as they keep selling ammo, I'll be happy.  Though, Wal-Mart exposed non gunners to guns, thus taking away some of that forbidden fruit mystique that many have of guns.  Many people liken guns to sex toys, because you just don't see them at "mainstream" stores, and they're a bit of a social taboo.

But like I said, just so long as they keep selling ammo, I'm good.  The guns they have there typically aren't what I'm interested in, but they've got kickass ammo prices.

Transition Force

Personally, I'd rather purchase from a gun from a sporting goods store, or a gun shop - they generally know a LOT more about the products they're selling.

Most things I don't mind that too much - but when I purchase a gun, I'd rather purchase from someone who knows the nitty gritty information.

Raineyrocks

Last year they stopped selling rifles in alot of the Maryland Walmarts too.  I asked why and they said not enough people were buying them, which is bull because there were tons of hunters around that always got rifles from there.

KBCraig

Every product decision Wal Mart makes is driven by one thing: profit per square foot.

There's just not that much profit in guns, especially since big sports retailers have entered the market, like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn., etc.

If the turnover and margin on guns don't justify keeping them, especially factoring in the lawsuit and criminal risk if someone screws up a transaction or paperwork, then the guns go away.

Kevin

error

The only thing that would bring the guns back is a lot more gun buying from Wal-Mart. And perhaps letting the company know that you're disappointed they aren't selling guns anymore.

PowerPenguin

Cabella's kicks ascii! I was at one in UT for the first time this past summer. Granted, a store like REI is closer to my usual needs, but they do have a nice range of high quality firearms there.

KBCraig

Quote from: error on February 22, 2007, 10:59 PM NHFT
The only thing that would bring the guns back is a lot more gun buying from Wal-Mart.

I only have a couple of local SuperCenters from which to draw my opinion, and occasional visits to those in other towns. In every case I've seen, the Wal Mart gun selection is pitiful. They're in locked turnstile cases, and there is no one actually manning the sporting goods counter, so potential buyers can't actually touch or buy the guns anyway.

The guns there are commodity items: Ruger 10/22s, Marlin .30/30s, H&R/NEF single barrel shotguns, and Charles Daly shotguns. The occasional Weatherby Vanguard rifle, in a special Wal Mart configuration. In all comparable cases, the Wal Mart price is only a few bucks lower than you'd pay at a sporting goods store, where you'd be able to actually handle the merchandise without having to flag down a passing employee, who would call someone who works that department, who might show up after an hour.

Wal Mart will continue to sell lots of black powder rifle kits, which hang from pegs in blister-packs. They'll also do well on shotgun shells, which they put on the open shelves. But handgun and rifle ammo, which they keep locked behind the counter, are only available when someone is actually manning the counter. I haven't seen anyone behind the counter in my local Wal Marts in months.

The last gun I bought, I bought at Gander Mtn. I had to wait, but only because there was a line of other people buying guns, and the four people behind the counter were working their butts off.

Kevin

Sweet Mercury

Is this just a voluntary response to the market? Or is NH law mandating the change?

Transition Force

Quote from: powerpenguin on February 23, 2007, 12:08 AM NHFT
Cabella's kicks ascii! I was at one in UT for the first time this past summer. Granted, a store like REI is closer to my usual needs, but they do have a nice range of high quality firearms there.

I'm out in Utah, and this May (my 21st bday) I'll be purchasing my first handgun. Got any recommendations (for guns and any other shops out here you may be familiar with)?

And hiya SM! :)

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: Transition Force on February 23, 2007, 03:45 PM NHFT
Quote from: powerpenguin on February 23, 2007, 12:08 AM NHFT

I'm out in Utah, and this May (my 21st bday) I'll be purchasing my first handgun. Got any recommendations (for guns and any other shops out here you may be familiar with)?

And hiya SM! :)

Haven't seen you here in a while, Yoshi!

I can't offer you a handgun suggestion, though. I'm not an owner yet. Although I would imagine that the best bet would be something that's reliable and easy to handle, which I would guess to be a basic 9mm of some sort, or an equivilently sized revolver.

You have to be 21 to own a gun in Utah?

KBCraig

Quote from: Sweet Mercury on February 23, 2007, 03:26 PM NHFT
Is this just a voluntary response to the market? Or is NH law mandating the change?

It's just the market. Gun laws don't get much easier than NH.

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: KBCraig on February 23, 2007, 10:53 PM NHFT

Well then, it ain't no thang, is it?

KBCraig

Quote from: Sweet Mercury on February 24, 2007, 01:31 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on February 23, 2007, 10:53 PM NHFT

Well then, it ain't no thang, is it?

No thang atall. When Wal Mart stops selling guns in NH, it means gun shops are selling lots more of them.  8)

Sweet Mercury

Quote from: KBCraig on February 24, 2007, 01:50 AM NHFT
No thang atall. When Wal Mart stops selling guns in NH, it means gun shops are selling lots more of them.  8)

Which is probably a better scheme overall. More knowledgable people with more vested interest in what happens there, instead of being a small part of a large whole.