• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House building ideas

Started by Russell Kanning, February 25, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

SAK

I may need to pick up a copy of this.  There's a possibility I may be building when I get there.  A temporary/humble home until I can save money for something more permanent.  Then I would have a guest house too :D  I'm sure this is a number of years out there tho

KBCraig

I remember the original version. Lots of cool ideas.

Russell Kanning

yea ... I didn't find that one at the library.

Lex has some good homebuilding ideas and books also. He is building with rock I believe.

Tom Sawyer

Looks like a good one...
No need to live in a conventional house unless ya want to.

David Lee writes some interesting articles in Backwoods Home magazine about his unconventional building ideas.

Pat K

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 25, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT
I found a great book with housebuilding ideas.

http://www.shelterpub.com/_home_work/HW-book.html

Gee when I saw the link I thought it was gonna
be about having your house look like a Pub.  ;D

Russell Kanning

I would like to build a modified earthship. :) no bar ... I will have to wait for you to move up.

SpeedPhreak

I haven't seen that book yet... it looks like a good read.

Sustained living is my new hobby to turn into mission.  Before I decided to expatriate I wanted to sell my other business & start a natural building company.  I planned on buying a large plot of land, subdividing & building custom natural homes for customers.  I may still do this on the side... I will decide once I get the skills needed & after more research into my other plans.  Thankfully the skills needed are not that hard to acquire... just some experience on a few jobs with people that know.  Building codes & permits are the issue (in places that have/enforce them). 

My personal preference is for strawbale... mostly because of where I live (colorado front range).  I love the idea of cob (traditional english house) & thatch roofs.  If I stay in colorado for any length of time I would like to build a 2 story load bearing strawbale house with a basement.  I don't think this has been done before.  I haven't decided on a roof yet.. I like the look of thatch but we can have droughts & like the idea of a roof that can collect rain water to deposit in a cistern.  I would like a natural floor... but need to do more research... especialy for the main & 2nd floors.  Add a well, composting toilets &/or septic/blackwater system, a solar/wind set up, a garden, a few grazing animals, & I would be set up for a while I think... the only thing I would "need" from the outside would be an internet connection (I am a junkie I admit it).  I want to produce hydrogen from water & use it in lew of propane or natural gas to power instant hot water heaters & other appliances (I think homepower magazine had an article on how to do it). 

If I move to NH then I would pursue this as well... along with a workshop & garage.  I am sure strawbale would be the way to go there too... have to think about the basement though... I assume those are common in that part of the country?  If I move to another country I obviously might have to use a different method (earthship, earthbag, etc...).

My newest "discovery" is that Hemp makes a great building material.  It can be used to make a hempcrete that is stronger & more flexiable than concrete, can be bailed, & can be used to make beams & paneling that rivals wood.  The only thing that isn't great about it is the beautiful wood grain/texture that you get with wood.  It is however, sustainable... yielding 4 times the volume of wood.

http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/ is a great site.

Russell Kanning

we have lots of wood in The Shire ... it seems to be sustaining itself quite nicely.

SpeedPhreak

Not that there is anything wrong with building with wood... we have lots here too.

In my opinion you can make better structures, often cheaper, & without using as much lumber (if any) by using alternative materials.  Wood definatley has a place in building... even though it can be replaced structurally.  I think that it should be used for its asthetic value.  Other materials can be stronger, last longer, & replaced sooner.  I am not a tree hugger by any means... but I think tree's should be preserved as much as possible.  Not counting overgrowth clearing & such to keep a forest healthy.

I guess that is what is great about our way of thinking... to each his own.

Lex

I have this book, "Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter", some neat ideas there.

If you want me to check if your favorite building method is featured in it I can do that.

Lex

I believe Russell still has my book on building underground shelters  ;)

Russell Kanning

cathleeninnh

Pat K

Those are nice, be warned if you  go to the site
to check out the houses and the masonry heaters
you will find you lost track off time.