• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House building ideas

Started by Russell Kanning, February 25, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

the more I think about it .... I don't know why I would have brought it home. I didn't want to build an underground house and since you wanted it back .... I didn't want to take it.

Lex

Alright I will look around for it at home some more.

Russell Kanning

Maybe it went home with someone else at that party.

Quantrill

Quote from: SAK on February 25, 2007, 11:57 AM NHFT
I may need to pick up a copy of this.  There's a possibility I may be building when I get there.  A temporary/humble home until I can save money for something more permanent. 

Yeah yeah. 

An RV.  ready-made house on wheels.  That's what I'd like to have... 

Incrementalist

Quote from: cathleeninnh on March 30, 2007, 08:10 AM NHFT
I imagine the cost skyrockets.

Cathleen
The site claims you can build a modest 1BR 1Bath for $100K.

eques

FirstDay, wow...

I'm actually impressed.  I was thinking about the dome home angle for a while, but the relatively low cost and kit-work of the FirstDay offerings makes me reconsider my position.

I could end up building a house for about as much as it would take to buy an acre of property up here.

And it can go up in 15 weekends, too?  Really?

Also... free shipping!  Woot.  :)

Oy, it's late--I'm going to be tired tomorrow!

Incrementalist

Quote from: James A. Pyrich on March 31, 2007, 10:17 PM NHFT
FirstDay, wow...

I'm actually impressed.  I was thinking about the dome home angle for a while, but the relatively low cost and kit-work of the FirstDay offerings makes me reconsider my position.

I could end up building a house for about as much as it would take to buy an acre of property up here.

And it can go up in 15 weekends, too?  Really?

Also... free shipping!  Woot.  :)

Oy, it's late--I'm going to be tired tomorrow!

I don't know if you saw on the site, but by "weekend" they mean putting in a few hours Friday evening, then working full days Saturday and Sunday.  It's nothing to be trifled with.  They even used the term "eating lunch with a hammer in your hand", so I doubt they're taking into account any sizable breaks.

eques

Quote from: Incrementalist on March 31, 2007, 10:39 PM NHFT
I don't know if you saw on the site, but by "weekend" they mean putting in a few hours Friday evening, then working full days Saturday and Sunday.  It's nothing to be trifled with.  They even used the term "eating lunch with a hammer in your hand", so I doubt they're taking into account any sizable breaks.

So would 30-45ish full days of working be the minimum for building most simple houses?  I didn't see that part on the website and confess to knowing little about putting houses up.  :)

Russell Kanning

The important thing about those simple houses you are talking about is .... you can build it yourself and with help. It will take a while, but you can actually do it without big or fancy equipment. :)

A dome takes all kinds of equipment and skills. Also one of those houses would look good to the neighbors when you are done. :)

MaineShark

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 01, 2007, 06:50 AM NHFTA dome takes all kinds of equipment and skills.

Uh, rent a small crane for a single day.  That would pretty much do it.

Joe

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 01, 2007, 06:50 AM NHFT
The important thing about those simple houses you are talking about is .... you can build it yourself and with help. It will take a while, but you can actually do it without big or fancy equipment. :)

A dome takes all kinds of equipment and skills. Also one of those houses would look good to the neighbors when you are done. :)

And, it would be easier to sell than a Dome, although a Dome shouldn't take any special equipment to build.  If you stay away from tricky roof lines you can build almost any wood framed house yourself.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: MaineShark on April 01, 2007, 07:41 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 01, 2007, 06:50 AM NHFTA dome takes all kinds of equipment and skills.

Joe
The domes they make down in texas seem to need all kinds of special stuff to spray on all the different layers. What kind are you talking about?

MaineShark

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 01, 2007, 07:57 AM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on April 01, 2007, 07:41 AM NHFT
The domes they make down in texas seem to need all kinds of special stuff to spray on all the different layers. What kind are you talking about?

Wood-framed geodesic domes don't involve concrete (except for the foundations).

Build the triangular panels, then bolt them together to form hexagons.  Prop up and bolt together the hexagons in a ring and lift the top hexagon on with a crane.

Joe

Russell Kanning

I read a good article from a guy in California that said those triangle panel jobs are too much trouble. :( He had build more than one and always had complications.
But you are right ... they are hand buildable. :)

eques

Honestly?  I think a traditional home will probably sit better with me... easier to sell, less expensive, too...

And I know who to go to for my heating and hot water solutions!  ;D