• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House building ideas

Started by Russell Kanning, February 25, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Incrementalist

Quote from: James A. Pyrich on April 01, 2007, 04:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: Incrementalist on March 31, 2007, 10:39 PM NHFT
I don't know if you saw on the site, but by "weekend" they mean putting in a few hours Friday evening, then working full days Saturday and Sunday.  It's nothing to be trifled with.  They even used the term "eating lunch with a hammer in your hand", so I doubt they're taking into account any sizable breaks.

So would 30-45ish full days of working be the minimum for building most simple houses?  I didn't see that part on the website and confess to knowing little about putting houses up.  :)

I can't link you directly to the FAQ page as the whole site has one page name, so here's the directions to get to the part that discusses the minutiae or building the Firstday.  On the main page, you'll see a sidebar on the left with menu options.  Click on "more info".  Then click on the FAQ entitled "Building".  All three FAQs are worth reading, but "Building" has details about how much time it will take.

eques

I just got to reading that portion.

So, yeah, two people working half a day Friday and full days on both Saturday and Sunday add up to 720 hours, which is right about in the middle of their 600-1000 man-hour range.

But given where I am right now?  It's a pipe dream.  I still need to catch up on being out of work for 4 months.

Quantrill

QuoteBut given where I am right now?  It's a pipe dream.

Start saving, man!  If I can get some cash saved up I'll be looking at buying a few acres.  Don't know how much land you want but maybe a few of us PORCs can go in together on some land (cheaper that way).  And it'd be nice to have some like-minded neighbors...

eques

I'm behind on a few debts, so it'll be a little while before I can actually start saving.

I fully intend to do so when I can.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 01, 2007, 08:30 AM NHFT
I read a good article from a guy in California that said those triangle panel jobs are too much trouble. :( He had build more than one and always had complications.
But you are right ... they are hand buildable. :)

Build a 2 X 4 frame using predetermined chord lengths.  As you go up you're standing on framing below you. As you approach  the top you are sitting and working.  Staple 3 layers of chicken wire on the frame  and ferro cement the damn thing.  It will never leak.  No wind storm will touch it.  But it will still be fucking ugly, with a lot of volume of questionable use.

Lloyd Danforth

Build a small, stick framed or post and beam envelope style passive solar house.  You end up with something you can heat with a Ziippo, and maybe sell some day.

Dreepa

Pat K

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

I agree.  I've been watching these things gradually improve over the years.  Those are the nicest yet.  A bit expensive, though.

Crocuta

My wife's been campaigning for a yurt.

http://www.yurts.com/gallery/photo-gallery.aspx

I think I'd need to spend a couple of weeks in one during the winter to see if I'd like it or not.

Lloyd Danforth

Those yurts look like tents. I remember yurts with walls kind of like barrel staves wider at the top, all connected by cable.  The cone shaped roof pushed out on the top of the wall stressing and stiffening the whole thing.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on April 01, 2007, 10:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 01, 2007, 08:30 AM NHFT
I read a good article from a guy in California that said those triangle panel jobs are too much trouble. :( He had build more than one and always had complications.
But you are right ... they are hand buildable. :)

Build a 2 X 4 frame using predetermined chord lengths.  As you go up you're standing on framing below you. As you approach  the top you are sitting and working.  Staple 3 layers of chicken wire on the frame  and ferro cement the damn thing.  It will never leak.  No wind storm will touch it.  But it will still be fucking ugly, with a lot of volume of questionable use.

It occurred to me that with the right pattern wire, this could be done using the 'Gunnite' swimming pool system, where they spray the cement.  Then you could spray foam insulate the inside.  I'm not sure what you could do about the ugly inside.

Quantrill

A-frame cabin all the way, baby...

Tom Sawyer

A frame is pretty cheap to build.  :)