• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

House building ideas

Started by Russell Kanning, February 25, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedPhreak

The fact of the matter is almost any of the alternative/natural methods are superior to modern construction in many ways.

They can be (but not always) better for the environment, easier to build... thus you can do as much as 100% of the labor yourself, you can often build them & expand them in stages as you budget/time allow... but most of all depending on how cheap you get your materials & how much you do yourself... you can build a decent home w/appliances & utilities for as low as $10 a square foot.  This is definatley an exception... but you can use a $30/sqft figure as a starting point & probably won't go up too much from there.

i think i posted this link before... http://www.greenhomebuilding.com

They have pages for most of, if not all of, these types of methods.

I personally don't like the looks of cordwood but respect it as a relatively simple method w/good results & definately would support anyone who built one - especially as a primary residence.

cathleeninnh

We will be making a decision soon regarding our home ownership plans. It is a struggle deciding what direction to go. We would have to hire a builder. I can't see anything cheaper than the modular home route, but we aren't sure that is what we want. We are more inclined to have a log home, but they are not cheaper than stick built. I've done a bunch of research, but will look into anything that we can find a builder to do for us.

The websites mentioned in this thread have really been teasers. Unfair! I want all of them.

Cathleen 

Russell Kanning

having some of us build you a log home should be cheaper than a standard house

MaineShark

Quote from: cathleeninnh on April 06, 2007, 11:57 AM NHFTWe will be making a decision soon regarding our home ownership plans. It is a struggle deciding what direction to go. We would have to hire a builder. I can't see anything cheaper than the modular home route, but we aren't sure that is what we want. We are more inclined to have a log home, but they are not cheaper than stick built. I've done a bunch of research, but will look into anything that we can find a builder to do for us.

The websites mentioned in this thread have really been teasers. Unfair! I want all of them.

Modulars are generally not built to the same quality standards as built-in-place homes.  I wouldn't recommend going that route...

As Russell says, if you work with Porcs, we can probably give you better rates than others out there.

Joe

Tom Sawyer

Crocuta

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 06, 2007, 12:11 PM NHFT
Tiny houses...

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

I spent some time looking through those a while back.  Some of the interiors are SWEET!  For a single person who just needs an upscale comfortable place to crash while they're out living life it would be hard to beat.  Easy to rent a little spot in the back 40 from a porc, too.

I'd be far more likely to do a modern Walden's Pond in one of those.  :D

Russell Kanning

Cathleen and Don also have an advantage .... they could get by with less cubic feet ... since they are economy sized ... unlike us stickybun supersized guys

cathleeninnh

We would have to pay even our porc buds because we are incapable of pulling our own weight. I would rather live next to someone and agree to clean house or weed gardens or iron clothes or babysit for a few years to even out the agreement. Seriously, guys, I will push for a first day cottage if I think I can get the labor necessary to get it up. We could probably get the land, well and septic this year and construct next year.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

Something more labor intensive, but not taking more complicated machinery .... could possibly make your house cheaper to build.

Another way to go is have a trusted porc friend (who knows more about construction than say ... me) be your general contractor. He can do the work ... and hire some of the rest of us pretty cheap ... and hire others for anything specialized that we cannot handle. That sort of arrangement should be cheaper than just hiring some builder..... and we can build your house just the way you want. You wouldn't have to be forced down traditional paths that are not always best. :)

SpeedPhreak

If I were you I would take a serious look at straw bale (you are in NH right?).  It is my personal favorite & can be built easily & extremely inexpensivley if you take the time & do work yourself &/or w/help from Free Staters.

a google search will yield dozens of quality information that can be read for free.

www.balewatch.com
www.strawhomes.com (excellent links page).

Add a solar/wind/hydro system & www.brownianheating.com (MaineShark) to help w/heating solutions.

You can be self sufficient, energy concious, gain valuable experience, have a home that has the potential to outlast any conventianly built home, & help a few freestaters in the process.

Russell Kanning

I am not as interested in straw here .... since we don't have much of it. We have trees. :)

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 06, 2007, 01:14 PM NHFT
Something more labor intensive, but not taking more complicated machinery .... could possibly make your house cheaper to build.

Another way to go is have a trusted porc friend (who knows more about construction than say ... me) be your general contractor. He can do the work ... and hire some of the rest of us pretty cheap ... and hire others for anything specialized that we cannot handle. That sort of arrangement should be cheaper than just hiring some builder..... and we can build your house just the way you want. You wouldn't have to be forced down traditional paths that are not always best. :)

That is what I was thinking. I am impressed (mostly, let's be honest here) with the care going into Jim and Lauren's place. Maybe if we nailed down the contractor and what s/he would charge, we could then narrow down the options on types. Cost is a big factor. This will be cash, no mortgage.

Do I hear any bids?

Cathleen

SpeedPhreak

Sorry Russell - the reply was directed at cathleeninh

But -
You have no agriculture... wheat, oat, even rice etc.?  I am sure a source for straw bales is closer than you may think.

Building w/trees can be expensive plus more labor intensive.  Straw is relatively simple & cheap.  Straw is it's own insulator (some measurements have gone has high as R-50+).  It will be termite proof/resistant & extrememly fire resistant too.

As stated before - the only reason I would ever build w/wood (given the choice) is for its beauty & perhaps if I sourced it for free (i.e... in clearing my lot).

cathleeninnh

We have driven the entire state and I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 very small hay fields. A few crops like pumpkin patches, a number of vegetable farms and fruit trees. Mostly woods. Lots of trees. I love trees and I like wood, but would consider alternative building if the cost were right and my "contractor" was comfortable with the process.

Cathleen

eques

I might even pitch in once or twice.  :)

(As for my plans, I've decided that they have to wait at least a year.)