• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine House or Porcupine Acres

Started by Russell Kanning, February 26, 2007, 03:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We are on a quest to provide affordable housing for incoming porcupines and other friends in the Monadnock portion of The Shire.

I have been looking at large houses/buildings to fill with porcupines and other situations (such as commercial lots) with land attached. I have been looking at places with owner financing and affordable prices and have found a few over time ... some of which have been snapped up by others ... but some still remain.

The church and rectory in Marlborough is sitting empty being heated and maintained by the manchester catholic diocese. They did not accept Caleb's first offer, but that is still a possibility. It is not an easy property to move ( at $600,000 ) and we could make use of it. It already has 5/6 bedrooms without changing a thing ... more with some modifications. :)

There is a piece of commercial property in Winchester (for sale since 10/06 for $340,000 ) that is interesting also. It has a house/office with 10 rooms and a large barn and 2 silos. There are 10 flat cleared acres and 25 acres of hills/woods. It is right on 78 and faces the old lumber mill. So the view is imperfect to the north but great everywhere else. I can picture us building houses or more dense housing even on the flat part and then building cabins in the woods or just logging it. Then we can live in the places and/or rent them out.

Every situation is made more affordable with our flexibility and ability to ignore the government's taxes and regulations.

Some situations are ready to put in residents, so the funding can come from the future occupants. We just have to find the interested renters and get them together. In some situations we would need to make monthly payments for months/years before we can occupy the land ourselves or find renters to pay back the investors.

I would like to communicate by forum post/pm/phone/in person with anyone interested in living free in our corner of The Shire or helping fund it for profit and/or future residency. If you have a dream living situation, let me know and we will work on it and connect you with others. If you have a little money you could invest each month, tell me the amount and what kinds of projects/people you are comfortable working with.

We have many handy guys in our group who will work cheap to maintain or build housing for each other. We would run these projects much like our tuath or an amish community. We would make decisions together and not use government to judge disagreements. We can voluntary make connections and free ourselves from "The Man".

Let the barnraising begin! :D

btw .... the old building in the middle of Keene is still vacant, but may be harder to be ignored by the government ... bad news or a challenge. :)

Tom Sawyer

LiveFree

The place in Winchester looks great.  Other uses could include boarding for people's horses (not too sure of the market for that up here, but when I rode as a kid all through the 90's in northern MA, there was no trouble filling up stalls).  If you could get some renters for the rooms, or section it off into apartments somehow, it could be a decent moneymaker.

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

error

If you have a place smack in the middle of Keene available within the next 30 days, I'm in.

Russell Kanning

Quantrill

QuoteEvery situation is made more affordable with our flexibility and ability to ignore the government's taxes and regulations.

Quote of the year!  (+1)

I can help with HVAC-related duties and there seem to be a couple other HVAC guys around here too.  Maybe we can 'volunteer' them to help.  ;)

I was just thinking today about my plans for future residency.  It'll be awhile before I can afford to buy a house in The Shire.  I've been thinking about maybe purchasing an RV and looking for a PORC who has an acre or two that he/she could rent or sell to me.  Of course, when people find out you're living in an RV they tell the authorities and then you're forced to move.  :(    While living in an RV wouldn't be permanent it would suit me fine as long as I could weatherproof it appropriately.  Then it's just a matter of finding a place to park the damn thing.

Russell, I'm glad you bring this up.  There is obviously a need for decent-priced housing for new movers and this is a great way to meet people and make a little cash as well.  The email I got from Alec was he already has 3 people trying to move in ahead of me.  So the demand is there folks.  Anyone with cash to finance a project like this is sure to get a decent return on their investment.

Pat K

Tree Houses, I always liked Tree Houses. :)

KBCraig

With apologies to Vic Mizzy.

Pooooorc Acres is the place for me.
Freeeeee livin' is the life for me.
Aaaaanarchy spreadin' far and wide.
Screw politics, I don't take either side.

;)

Russell Kanning

The place with land in Winchester would also work for RV's as we added water/sewage lines and electricity, but before we filled in with buildings. We could have a mini-semi-permanent-porcfest going on from april-october.

Since those of us that are currently interested don't have enough cash to buy one of these places. I would like to talk with people about getting shares in our endeavor for $100/month payments.

slim

I think this is a great idea. A group of porcs living in the same community will show that the porcs do not want to "take over" we want to build and contribute to the community. If there is a commercial building that could be subdivided for porcs with businesses that need storefront or just a separate location other then their homes. This could be a great starting point for a lot of the porcs moving in to the state.

Russell I was wondering how many people you would like to see commit to something like porc acres before moving forward. If there is enough of people in this community I can see possible business opportunities like a community grocery store like one that is close to where I live currently.

I do not have the money to invest in a idea like this yet but I think once I finish my commitment where I have some cash invested (which is why I have not moved yet) I would be willing to invest in a idea like this.

Russell Kanning

For a really small project ... like a $100,000 house or building .... we would need to commit to say $1000/month payments. So that is about all we would have to have, if we had no initial renters. As we brought in rental money we could stop needing input from the shareholders. After we finisher necessary repairs and kept up maintenance, we could start paying the shareholders money. It would all be determined by the group involved. :)

For the rectory in Marlborough Caleb offered them $1,500/month .... and they wanted more. We could not offer more, because any more per month would not have given us a For the bigger place in Winchester we might need $2,000/month. Since I do not have the $340,000 or the $2,000/month, I need help.

Kat Kanning

Plus, it gives the feds a target when they feel like crispifying some dissidents.  :)