• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine House or Porcupine Acres

Started by Russell Kanning, February 26, 2007, 03:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen_142002

I'm neither a lawyer nor town official so don't take this as legal advice. As far as I know Keene doesn't really seize houses, but the put a lien on it, and when you go to sell or you croak, then they seize what they are "owed".

Winchester does take properties, and it isn't uncommon in some towns for them to just auction off your house while you're still in it. I don't know how long Winchester takes to seize property for nonpayment of taxes, but it will. It might be 3 years or it might be one. Once you don't pay, they will probably send you a number of angry letters. After a certain amount of time you'll probably get a notice that your property has been seized and will be auctioned off. At this point you may be removed from the property, or you may just be left there until someone buys it at auction, then they will toss you, unless you buy your property back at auction.

This will devastate the credit score of anyone who has an official share in the property.

As far as the properties you mentioned, I think the big place with the barn on Warwick Road is still on the market. The other two I believe are under contract. I will check, but I can't since I'm on dialup right now, and it would take forever.

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on March 02, 2007, 05:40 PM NHFT
NH law only allows a town to earn an additional 15% over the three years owed (which was already collecting 18% per year).  Most lenders will throw non-escrowed real estate tax borrowers into foreclosure themselves for defaulting on mortgage instrument provisions(one of which is to pay real estate taxes when due).  Lenders spend a lot of time researching their borrowers tax liens/ it is rare that a lender gets caught off guard. 

If a town beats the property owner in a situation where there is no lender--- the former property owner would get any balance over the town's minimum reserve which would be all taxes owed at 18% per annum plus a 15% KICKER.  There is no usury law in NH.

+1 more useful information.  8)

Russell Kanning

It is very possible that a selling offering financing will want someone to promise to pay the town thugs. I am not interested in doing that.

error

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 02, 2007, 08:04 PM NHFT
It is very possible that a selling offering financing will want someone to promise to pay the town thugs. I am not interested in doing that.

In that case, you'll have to pay cash. That should be fun. Take pictures of the seller and his lawyers when you spring that one on them. :)

citizen_142002

That's a good point. You'd have to buy it outright to avoid problems with the lender/ owner financeer.

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Russell has this old chest full of Krugerrands...

Russell Kanning

and when the gold is gone ... I can live in the chest.

When the property tax guys come Caleb will say we are a Franciscan Order. We are not a good one, but we are trying to help people .... and we got that vow of poverty thing going for us. :

Pat K

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 02, 2007, 11:50 PM NHFT

When the property tax guys come Caleb will say we are a Franciscan Order. We are not a good one, but we are trying to help people .... and we got that vow of poverty thing going for us. :

Then Caleb will ask them if they, know any women he can date.  ;D

CNHT

Plenty of people have had their homes stolen out from under them and been evicted just prior to that by the town for not paying taxes.

Ask Bernie Bastien...he is but one.

He is in this video on the right I believe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orr070L-5gg

It takes about 3 years...they can by law do it. If they don't, it's only because they might choose to let you live there as long as the amount you owe doesn't exceed the amount for which they can sell.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Pat K on March 03, 2007, 01:15 AM NHFT
Then Caleb will ask them if they, know any women he can date.  ;D
We are very progressive.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 02, 2007, 11:50 PM NHFT

Desales   or   Assisi?   They will ask. 

Russell Kanning

our own version of assisi ... not quite "secular" but with wives and beer.

Lloyd Danforth

I think there might be yet a third St. Francis.  In Hartford it is all about Desales.