• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Music School/Teacher

Started by mappchik, March 03, 2007, 01:48 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mappchik

When I get up to NH with the family, I'll be in need of lessons for various instruments: Piano, Guitar, Drums, and possibly Violin. Right now, we go to a music school once a week and my three kids  & I split up for lessons with different instructors. Anybody know of similar set up in Southern NH? It could help in narrowing down my future scouting trip(s).

I'd also be very happy to have an instructor who would come to the house... any porcupines with experience in teaching?

------
To clarify a bit, I have looked at the Community Arts programs online at Portsmouth and Concord. Will go with one of the official community arts center programs if I have to, but would prefer private institution or individual teacher.

Rosie the Riveter

I teach at www.bypc.org It is a wonderful school with highly qualified caring instructors. I'm sure we will be able to meet all your needs as we have an interdisciplinary performing arts school and offer -- private and group music lessons in most every instrument, theatre programs, dance, preschool programs..etc

We price ourselves on being a good value and are less expensive than the community music schools and more along the lines of individual instructors. We are able to do it because of the donations we receive and the fact that we maximize our space using it during the day for our preschool programs and in the evening for lessons. It doesn't have the classical feel of a community music school, but we do have tons of opprotunities for kids to perform in everything from pit orchestras to rock bands  ;)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

mappchik

Rosie -

Thank you. Looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for. The pricing I found at the others was a bit steep, and that's what I was judging against.

Now... how about a year round swimming program?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: mappchik on March 03, 2007, 02:36 PM NHFT
Rosie -

Thank you. Looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for. The pricing I found at the others was a bit steep, and that's what I was judging against.

Now... how about a year round swimming program?

Alright -- the YMCA in goffstown is pretty good http://www.gmfymca.org/index.shtml , but people rave about the Executive
http://www.executivehealthclub.com/  I have a pool your welcome to use any time in the summer.  :D My kids have done swimming at the Y in goffstown and at the Y in Manchester -- the executive is too rich for my blood.  ;)

Good Luck with the search.

Kat Kanning

There's a music school in Keene:  Keene Institute of Music.

CNHT

My father is a professional musician. He traveled with the 'big bands' of the 40's since age 17 and played with the Ted Herbert band in later years.
We have several music stores that have teaching contacts -- Ted Herbert's Music Mart and Daddy's Junky Music as well as the Guitar Center.
They could point you to music teachers.

toowm

"Rosie"-

We are in need of piano teaching. My oldest had 3 years of instruction, but the last 18 months off post-move. The 9yos would like to start. I was going to teach them myself but time and temperament for all of us is tough.

Bedford is about 1/2 an hour away. Is there a way we could "try before we buy?"

CNHT

Quote from: toowm on March 03, 2007, 08:12 PM NHFT
"Rosie"-

We are in need of piano teaching. My oldest had 3 years of instruction, but the last 18 months off post-move. The 9yos would like to start. I was going to teach them myself but time and temperament for all of us is tough.

When I said 'we' I meant, here in Manchester area. My dad no longer teaches but I thought I'd throw in the fact of who he was just so it would qualify my opinion as a musician's kid! :-)

I just found a new DVD on Amazon, and he's on it. He's 17...one of the first music videos ever made!

Dreepa

I know someone who does private piano lessons in the Concord area. (she is good)

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: toowm on March 03, 2007, 08:12 PM NHFT
"Rosie"-

We do have quite a few piano teachers so I would guess that you will find one you like -- Call the office 472-3894 and speak to Carol -- I think you can pay for one "trial" lesson, but sometimes the schedules are tight so your best bet is to call and chat about your idea.

YixilTesiphon

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 03, 2007, 05:03 PM NHFT
There's a music school in Keene:  Keene Institute of Music.

Also the folks at the Apple Hill Center for Chamber Music - they've got piano, cello, viola, and violin. They teach some private lessons, and give awesome free concerts.

Pat McCotter

Concord Community Music School

The three pictures on this page are a great series showing the wonder of a child learning something new.
http://www.ccmusicschool.org/programs.php?p=2

Also there is Music Workshop of Concord for children.