• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ripple trading system is up and running

Started by Barterer, March 03, 2007, 11:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

Thanks for all the info, Barterer.  Don't feel bad about only 6 people signing up so far.  "The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step"... or... something.[/Butthead mode]   By the way, when I first posted in this thread, I conflated your handle with your avatar and called you "Bartermonkey" repeatedly; you may need to change your name.  ;)

So the guy who wrote the software is still actively working on it?  I took a look at the Google discussion list and wasn't overwhelmed by the number of threads.  Maybe this concept needs an evangelical blabbermouth...   :icon_pirat:

Friday

Quote from: error on June 27, 2007, 08:36 PM NHFT
What do you want to buy?

Food, movie rentals, cafe mochas, clothing, gas... pretty standard stuff

error

Friday

Quote from: error on June 27, 2007, 08:44 PM NHFT

How about phone service?

I currently use Vonage, and would certainly consider transferring my business to help out a fellow Porcupine.  Vonage is flaky; I've been told that people have called me when I know I was home, yet my phone never actually rang.  I'm not too concerned with the security aspect; I try to speak clearly and enunciate to make it easier for the poor Feds who are forced to listen to my incredibly boring conversations.  It's the least I can do.  :)

error

Call me a month before your Vonage contract is up. :)

EthanAllen

Quote from: Friday on June 27, 2007, 08:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: EthanAllen on June 26, 2007, 06:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on June 26, 2007, 05:25 PM NHFT
I never heard of the Ripple system before, but it sounds like it has fantastic potential for the Free State! 

The idea came out of the "Swiss Economic Trading Circles" during the depression when credit was tight. Today the modern equivalent in Switzerland is called the "WIR Coop Bank" and trades about 1.8 billion Swiss francs annually. It is a paperless, credit clearing/bookkeeping system kept on a secure network that employs a debit cards at the point of purchase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIR

That's really interesting; thanks for the link.  I think this sort of thing would be more valuable if businesses started participating as well, which looks like what they're doing in Sweden.  Even if every Freestater I know signed up, the truth is, most of them don't have the stuff I want to buy.  hmmmm...

The fastest growing food sector is farmers markets because people want to encourage local farmers and they want a personal relationship with them.

Kat Kanning

I tried to register, but got an error.  We were talking about using your system for Shire Hours.

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=14400.0

Russell Kanning

everyone that I have connections with in the Shire Hours system, needs to up the credit limit with me in order for me to hand out some hours