• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ouchie on gas prices lately

Started by Kat Kanning, April 01, 2005, 04:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Rabbit grabbit!

You've heard of Slug Bug, right? We take it to new heights, including Cadillac Whack, Mustang Bang, Ram Wham, Cruiser Bruiser, T-(flip you the-)Bird, 'Vette Pet, etc.

I view all of these as an excuse to fondle my wife, as if I need any excuse. "Rabbit Grabbit" has been especially useful to that end, although the sightings are rare. I did a happy dance when I heard VW was re-introducing the Rabbit marque.  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on July 23, 2006, 12:13 AM NHFT
;D 8) From blue whale to white Rabbit.

Point of order: isn't that a Jetta?

Kat Kanning

Pat K

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Lloyd Danforth

Yes, it is a Jetta, or, a Rabbit and 1/3rd.  59 scream'in horsepower!

ravelkinbow

Tilton is at 2.79  ^-^ and Concord is 2.93 with ethanol  >:(

Dreepa

Quote from: mvpel on July 22, 2006, 09:45 AM NHFT

She might have been from New Jersey - self-service is illegal there. 

So my son was watching the Andy Griffith show tonight.
He saw 10 seconds of Gomer Pyle at the gas station.  He said 'Dad is this show in New Jersey?'.... I asked him why he said that.   He said 'because they have someone pumping their gas for them'... :D

Insurgent

Quote from: Dreepa on July 30, 2007, 09:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: mvpel on July 22, 2006, 09:45 AM NHFT

She might have been from New Jersey - self-service is illegal there. 

So my son was watching the Andy Griffith show tonight.
He saw 10 seconds of Gomer Pyle at the gas station.  He said 'Dad is this show in New Jersey?'.... I asked him why he said that.   He said 'because they have someone pumping their gas for them'... :D

Back in '00 I lived in Oregon for a brief period and was amazed to find that all the gas-stations were mandatory full-service. Something about normal people not being competent enough to not spill raw fuel on the ground, or another. I just marveled at what it must have done to increase the prices, having to pay some schmuck $5 an hour to work the pumps.

mvpel

It's a testament to modern technology and innovative design that more people don't barbecue themselves at filling stations.

Quotehttp://www.esdjournal.com/static/utah/gas%20pump%20fire.htm
A Springfield, Utah mother and her 5-year-old son are lucky to be alive after the SUV Trooper she was filling up with gas caught fire and burned.

The woman stopped at a local service station, May 18, shortly after 8 a.m. and began to pump gas into her SUV. While the gas was pumping, the woman went back and sat down in the front seat and began talking to her young son, who was buckled up in the back seat.

As the woman was exiting her vehicle, she noticed an electric charge. After she saw the spark, she said she got out to pull the nozzle out of the SUV's gas tank, and that's when the fire started.

Gasoline's flash point - the minimum temperature at which it can form ignitable vapors - is 45 degrees below zero, and vapors from a spill on the ground can be ignited from as much as 12 feet away.  It also contains a delightful witch's brew of carcinogens like benzene, 1,2-Dibromoethane, and N-Nitrosodiethylamine.

Diesel's flash point, on the other hand, is about 125 degrees.  Can't wait for my 52mpg iCTDI diesel Accord...

d_goddard

Personally I am looking forward to the hybrid-electric diesel for the best of both worlds:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/21/toyota-to-sell-diesel-hybrid-by-2010-thanks-to-isuzu/

Unless, of course, there's a hydrogen car by that time. The ones that get the H2 by simply cracking gasoline are just one one catalyst discovery away from commercial viability...

Russell Kanning

Quote from: mvpel on July 30, 2007, 11:20 PM NHFT
Diesel's flash point, on the other hand, is about 125 degrees.  Can't wait for my 52mpg iCTDI diesel Accord...
tell me more
Sounds awesome. I loved my little '98 Jetta TDI. It got 47 around town.
We get about 39mpg in our little Mazda right now.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: d_goddard on July 31, 2007, 12:13 AM NHFT
Personally I am looking forward to the hybrid-electric diesel for the best of both worlds:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/21/toyota-to-sell-diesel-hybrid-by-2010-thanks-to-isuzu/
I agree. All cars should have things like regenerative braking as such .... and tie it to a small deisel engine makes the most sense to me.

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 31, 2007, 06:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on July 31, 2007, 12:13 AM NHFT
I agree. All cars should have things like regenerative braking as such .... and tie it to a small deisel engine makes the most sense to me.

They're putting that system in the Mini, plus the start/stop engine (runs on demand).

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/24/start-stop-mini-due-in-september-diesel-version-to-match-co2-em/