• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ouchie on gas prices lately

Started by Kat Kanning, April 01, 2005, 04:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Quote from: d_goddard on July 19, 2006, 11:52 AM NHFT
... and then there are those of us smug smart bastards driving hybrid electric vehicles.
Over the 5 years I've owned my Honda Insight, (total miles driven) divided by (total gallons pumped in) is 60.1 MPG.

Recumbent ReCycler

In 1998, I was paying $0.939/gallon for 93 octane.  Now I'm paying $2.869 for the cheap stuff in Somersworth.

mvpel

Quote from: d_goddard on July 19, 2006, 11:52 AM NHFT
... and then there are those of us smug bastards driving hybrid electric vehicles.
Over the 5 years I've owned my Honda Insight, (total miles driven) divided by (total gallons pumped in) is 60.1 MPG.

;) ;) ;)

aries

Imagine if cars were getting 60 MPG back when gas was $1 a gallon.

Right now 60 miles takes me 2.6 gallons and $7.54

d_goddard

Quote from: aries on July 19, 2006, 10:16 PM NHFT
Right now 60 miles takes me 2.6 gallons
At least you're not driving a Hummer.
I swear, these things were all over the roads in California, driven by trophy wives on their way to & from Nordstrom's.
Once in a while, if I was feeling cheeky & saw them at the vehicle in the parking lot, I would ask:
"Wow... cool hummer! How many gallons per mile?"

Very few ever noticed the transposition ;)

dalebert

A guy pulls up to the full service pump in his hummer and asks for a fill-up. As the attendant is pumping, he says "Would you mind turning it off? You're getting ahead of me!"

tracysaboe

Quote from: d_goddard on July 20, 2006, 08:54 AM NHFT
Quote from: aries on July 19, 2006, 10:16 PM NHFT
Right now 60 miles takes me 2.6 gallons
At least you're not driving a Hummer.
I swear, these things were all over the roads in California, driven by trophy wives on their way to & from Nordstrom's.
Once in a while, if I was feeling cheeky & saw them at the vehicle in the parking lot, I would ask:
"Wow... cool hummer! How many gallons per mile?"

Very few ever noticed the transposition ;)

I think it's about .25 Gallons per mile 

Or 4 MPG

TRacy

aries

When I was working at a gas station (all self-serv) I was only once asked to pump the gas by a woman who didn't know how to pump... a californian driving a giant rental SUV, I forget the type but it was a huge one. Went up to $80.

And just to clarify these arent confusing pumps, they're the old kind where you take off the pump, move the metal bar 90 degrees and start pumping.

mvpel

Quote from: aries on July 20, 2006, 06:00 PM NHFT
When I was working at a gas station (all self-serv) I was only once asked to pump the gas by a woman who didn't know how to pump... a californian driving a giant rental SUV, I forget the type but it was a huge one. Went up to $80.
She might have been from New Jersey - self-service is illegal there.  Or if she was definitely from California, perhaps Beverly Hills.

Braddogg

Quote from: mvpel on July 22, 2006, 09:45 AM NHFT
She might have been from New Jersey - self-service is illegal there.

I think I heard something on FTL about that law being changed.

Dreepa

Quote from: Braddogg on July 22, 2006, 10:08 AM NHFT
She might have been from New Jersey - self-service is illegal there.

I think I heard something on FTL about that law being changed.
As of 3 weeks ago it is still not self serve.  I had to drive through NJ.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: aries on July 20, 2006, 06:00 PM NHFT
She might have been from New Jersey - self-service is illegal there.  Or if she was definitely from California, perhaps Beverly Hills.

She could have been from Oregon. No self-serve there, either.

Pat K

My daughter asked me a question about the Navy the other day. I got my old West - Pac cruise book out, seems we burnt 118.2 gallons of fuel per mile on that 41,578 mile cruise. Of course Navy ships don't know how to steam in straight lines the go everywere by steaming in connected circles.  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

My  new 45 MPG deathtrap. Diesel!

Pat K