• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Network & Internet security administrator, Lancaster National Bank

Started by KBCraig, March 04, 2007, 07:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Saw this in the Lancaster Herald.

Lancaster National Bank
NETWORK & INTERNET SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR

Lancaster National Bank, an independent community bank located in northern New Hampshire, is seeking an information technology
professional interested in joining our bank as the network administrator and as the internet security administrator.

In addition to strong interpersonal skills, the right candidate will have a broad range of knowledge and experience working with
Microsoft products. Key knowledge should include understanding of network hardware, Windows, and other bank related software.
Virus protection, firewall configuration, encryption reading and security patch management knowledge are also required.

Position requires a two-year associates degree in computer technology, information systems, computer management, or equivalent,
and three year?s work experience. Longer work experience and/or certification(s) in this field may be considered in lieu of a degree.

The applicant will have good communication skills along with the ability to learn in this quickly changing environment. A competitive
wage and benefit package is offered.

Submit resumes to the attention of: James A. Seppala, P.O. Box 109, Lancaster, NH 03584 or by e-mail to: jseppala@lancasternationalbank.com.

An equal opportunity employer

eques

My first act as Network and Internet Security Administrator:

Goodbye, Microsoft Windows!!!!!!

penguins4me

Thanks for posting items like this - I'm still more of a FSW kook than not, but I'm open to the possibility of work in another free(er) state enroute to my hopefully eventual home on the range. ;)

I just may have to send a note to these folks asking for some more info...

KBCraig

Quote from: penguins4me on March 04, 2007, 11:34 PM NHFT
I just may have to send a note to these folks asking for some more info...

Let me tell you, Co?s County is pretty close to Wyoming, except it's a lot greener, and has more hills that you can actually live in. They grow trees instead of cows. The federal government does own the White Mountain National Forest, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to fed ownership of WY.

In terms of population density, and getting "here to there", it's close. Very rural, parts of it are extremely remote, and if you wanted to hide out, you're better off where you can't see them coming for three days (and vice versa).

I've been in love with Lancaster since PF'06. I'm pretty determined to settle there, or in one of the nearby villages or towns. Lancaster is Mayberry, NH. If that's not your thing, Jefferson or Groveton (town of Northumberland) have cheaper living and easy access. Stark is remote; going farther north gets even more remote.

I have to say that anyone inclined to FSW over New England, would pretty much love Lancaster and points north. If you qualify for this job, go for it.

Kevin

Dreepa

This is great for the geek who wants to live ' up there'  and I know a lot of people (myself included) who want to live 'up there'.

SinkToTheBeat

Quote from: James A. Pyrich on March 04, 2007, 08:14 PM NHFT

Aye, that's what I would do as well.

slim

Quote from: SinkToTheBeat on March 05, 2007, 11:44 AM NHFT
Quote from: James A. Pyrich on March 04, 2007, 08:14 PM NHFT

Aye, that's what I would do as well.
Some companies cant just get rid of Windows. Like the company I work for currently to scrap Windows would cost Millions of dollars not to mention the cost of retraining people to use a new OS and programs and the reduced productivity durring the reeducation. I dislike Windows just as much as the next person (probably more) but you have to weight the costs and the savings and figure out when the payback will occur and if that is really worth the investment.

Dreepa

Slim has a point... it may take a long time for the ROI. And you have to make sure that the IT director is not a Windows fan.

I worked with a firm in TX once and they converted EVERYONE (yes even secretaries etc) over to Linux off of Microsoft.
They did it by:

training everyone on Linux
Giving 75% of the savings back the employees ($X per person was no matter what the job title was)
Doing it one dept at a time to 'ease' people into it.

It was a huge success.
Their ROI was about 1 year.  Now every year the employees get a check on the savings. Win win.

KBCraig

Quote from: Dreepa on March 05, 2007, 01:51 PM NHFT
And you have to make sure that the IT director is not a Windows fan.

Windows and Novell can be called the "IT job guarantee package".

error

Quote from: KBCraig on March 05, 2007, 05:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on March 05, 2007, 01:51 PM NHFT
And you have to make sure that the IT director is not a Windows fan.

Windows and Novell can be called the "IT job guarantee package".

Exactly.

What a waste of resources.

eques

I'm going to apply, I think.  :)  It'll be a hell of a commute, but it's beautiful country up there.

The only thing I'm not really clear on is what "encryption reading" means.

penguins4me

Most likely PKI authentication/encryption systems. Anyone familiar with PGP knows the basics already.

error

Most likely the ad was written by an HR person who only vaguely remembered (and wrongly) what the IT person said he was looking for.