• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cigar shop in Keene.

Started by Puke, March 07, 2007, 03:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

I am completely ignorant as to what it takes to start a business, but I have noticed that there are no good cigar shops in the Keene area. (Unless there are and I haven't found it!)
But I have thought of opening my own at some point in my life.
If you have any advice about starting one's own business, or think this is retarded, let me know.

Dreepa

Quote from: Puke on March 07, 2007, 03:52 PM NHFT
I am completely ignorant as to what it takes to start a business, but I have noticed that there are no good cigar shops in the Keene area. (Unless there are and I haven't found it!)
But I have thought of opening my own at some point in my life.
If you have any advice about starting one's own business, or think this is retarded, let me know.

One:
Do people want this? Can you get people in the door?
Three:
Business Plan
Four:
If you have a good plan and don't need to make HUGE money this will probably work...esp if you have cool marketing ideas... and with the smoking ban maybe going to pass.... this might be a draw.  Ladies Night, College Night etc etc .. Have a lounge where people can hang in nice leather chairs etc.

Could be a good idea.

error

Yeah, a cigar LOUNGE where people can sit down and smoke would be good.

In Iowa City, where I spent way too many years, and is even farther to the "left" than San Francisco, a struggling cigar shop decided in 1993 to start selling coffee along with their usual fare of cigars, cigarettes and loose tobacco. The place has since been packed from open to close every day. And since they don't serve either food or alcohol, the local smoking ban didn't affect them (for the few months until it was repealed).

slim

I am trying to figure out what it is going to take to start a business also if you find any good material on starting a business I would appreciate it if you shared it here. If anyone can share any pitfalls or other information I would appreciate it.

Lloyd Danforth

Lots of books about starting small businesses in the big box book stores.  I took a nightschool course in starting a small business and learned a lot. 

Puke

I'll have to search around the bookstore, that's an obvious thing I didn't think of.
As far as I can tell the cigar culture is doing quite well after a slump in the mid 90's.
I think that here up north a cigar lounge would work since the cold prevents smoking outside comfortably.
And there is no good cigar dealer in the town, which I for one find disappointing. I'm sure there must be others.
The coffee is a good idea too.
Thanks for the tips.

error

Indeed. Open a coffee house where people can smoke (and buy cigarettes) and study and locate it near the college, and you can't lose.

(At least until the bureaucrats decide that you're their enemy and find some way to make you lose, but that's down the road.)

Lloyd Danforth

error

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on March 07, 2007, 06:21 PM NHFT
Add a few washers and dryers

I think you want Duds & Suds, next door, serving laundry and beer.

Kat Kanning

Isn't the Corner News on Main Street also a cigar shop?  The guy who owns it is a really foul person.

Lloyd Danforth

He has a lot of tobacco products, but, not the social atmosphere Puke is talking about.   

Puke

The stores in Keene sell cigars.
What I am talking about is a walk in humidor and a lounge setting.
It's like the difference between a wine store and a bar.
A good cigar shop has employee's that know about tobacco, humidity controlled stock, and a place to sit, have a smoke and chat.

Russell Kanning

We might not have enough people, but you are right ... no cool cigar shop that I know of.

Puke

There is probably a reason why there are no shops already.  :(
Being a small college town the clientele isn't here.
Most cigar smokers are wealthy, older and play golf.
Maybe some day though...

error

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 07, 2007, 08:10 PM NHFT
We might not have enough people

That's why you also sell cigarettes and coffee and let people hang out and smoke.