• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fresh roasted coffee for sale

Started by coffeeseven, March 07, 2007, 09:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

coffeeseven

I've started roasting again. My current offering is a Columbian Supremo Dark Arabica mixed with a Vietnamese Fair Trade Robusta. It's really good for those that like a strong coffee with notes of chocolate, acidic, with great middle notes and a woodsy finish.

$7.00 8 oz (Half Pound)
$11.00 16 oz (Full Pound)

Free shipping. Avg. 3 day delivery.

Cash, blank money order or Liberty Dollars to:

c/o PO Box 306
Rockford, IL 61105
815-997-6310

Paypal to coffeeseven@hotmail.com

Insurgent

Do you want to post payment details as well?

coffeeseven

Insurgent

I've placed an order for 1/2lb--looking forward to brewing it up!

coffeeseven

Quote from: Insurgent on March 08, 2007, 07:02 PM NHFT
I've placed an order for 1/2lb--looking forward to brewing it up!

I'm roasting a fresh half now. It'll be in tomorrow's mail.

Braddogg

Aw, you had me until I reread the post and saw you were using "Fair Trade" coffee.  I'm morally opposed to "fair trade."

coffeeseven

Quote from: Braddogg on March 09, 2007, 12:19 AM NHFT
Aw, you had me until I reread the post and saw you were using "Fair Trade" coffee.  I'm morally opposed to "fair trade."

I've never heard anyone say that. Can you tell me why you are morally opposed to fair trade?

mappchik

"Fair Trade" is a marketing gimmick. It allows the marketer to pay an extra few cents to the poor farmers & craftsmen, and charge their customers a few extra dollars. The farmers make an above average price for their product, and yuppies/greenies/other get to feel good about their choice.
Plus, we get a good chuckle at the anti-capitalists who don't even realize that this "fair trade" option wouldn't exist without capitalism.

(yes, I did lift this directly from my post on the FTL BBS on fair trade & libertarianism)

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=12128.0

Tom Sawyer

Good article on the subject.
Disincentives for the farmer to improve their product. Anti-free market in a nutshell.

Absolution in Your Cup
The real meaning of Fair Trade coffee.

Reason
Kerry Howley | March 2006 Print Edition

Russell Kanning

Quote from: mappchik on March 09, 2007, 08:49 AM NHFT
"Fair Trade" is a marketing gimmick. It allows the marketer to pay an extra few cents to the poor farmers & craftsmen, and charge their customers a few extra dollars.
But in this case .... coffee7 isn't charging any more .... and we can all be happy. :)

Russell Kanning

I sometimes call our salsa "libertarian salsa" ... and people think that I am not a libertarian so they give me a hard time.
Or sometimes I call it Shire Salsa .... Some neocons call it "Freedom Salsa"

Caleb makes fun of my buying stuff from walmart ... when I get new shoes or a shirt ... I feel glad that I am giving a poor kid in malaysia a few bucks. :)

coffeeseven

I'll be looking forward to some of that salsa when I get to NH. You don't get your veggies at WalMart do you? I'm allergic to Malaysian tomatoes.  ;)

Russell Kanning

no veggies at our walmart .... I can only dream.

Kat has been buying really nice still on the vine tomatoes this winter .... that might be the secret. :)

Braddogg

Quote from: coffeeseven on March 09, 2007, 07:21 AM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on March 09, 2007, 12:19 AM NHFT

I've never heard anyone say that. Can you tell me why you are morally opposed to fair trade?

It's not an obvious objection at all.  I used to be very pro-fair-trade.  But, there's an economic principle behind this.  I think I read about it in The Economist a few months ago.  The argument goes a little something like this.  The price for coffee is low; too low for it to sustain the farmers.  The Law of Supply says that as supply increases, price decreases.  So, there is too much coffee being grown.  Usually, low prices due to high supply is an economic signal for some of these farmers to diversify -- that is, to stop growing coffee and do something more productive (something that people are willing to pay for).

Fair Trade keeps the poor impoverished.

Braddogg

Quote from: freedominnh on March 09, 2007, 05:19 PM NHFT
If lazy Americans were responsible to handpick any commodity it would be 100X the price. 

Could you rephrase that?  I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say.