• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Business opportunity: Make your own bullion

Started by Dave Ridley, March 08, 2007, 09:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

If you check e-bay you will notice that people are paying massive markups markups for copper and nickel bullion bars....10 times as much as the melt value in some cases.

Do a quick ebay search for "copper bullion" under "completed listings" and you'll see what I mean.

This markup is mostly because so few people are manufacturing them.  If any of you guys are capable of putting together some sort of smelting operation to process junk copper or junk nickel you could kick buttocks.   Note that I am not advocating violation of the fed ban on melting their coins....that is probably not practical for variious reasons and Fed coins are probably more useful in their present form. In a few years it will probably be legal again anyway.

Also I also think it would be really cool to have one of our own making the world's first indium bullion or irridium bullion or something like that...but one thing at a time.

SpeedPhreak

I saw this the other day too & it's something I thought I should maybe try.

only thing is... i don't know how.  I doubt it could be too hard though, perhaps I will take another look.

PowerPenguin

The problem here is the cost of capital goods. I suppose one could rig something up, but a "real" smelter, etc. will run you up several dozen K probably.

KBCraig

Smelters are for reducing ore down to the desired mineral. For making bullion out of copper when you already have copper (wire, coins, etc.), you only need a means of melting, not smelting.

Any jeweler who knows how to cast gold, or sculptor who casts bronze (or any of several others sorts of artisans or tradesmen), will have what's needed: castable refractory, and a heat source. Propane works great, but folks were melting copper with wood and charcoal thousands of years ago.

A knowledgeable scrounger could cast bullion from junk copper for a couple of hundred bucks.

Kevin

Russell Kanning

bummer .... I thought this thread was going to reveal dada's alchemy secrets

Recumbent ReCycler

There's a book that is printed in the UK that tells how to make a forge that will run on waste oil.  I've been meaning to buy a copy, but it costs something like $55, and I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

PowerPenguin

That's cool. If you get it, let me know how it is. If we're going to start a free market bank in NH someday, we'll need someone to forge the bars and coins.

Lloyd Danforth

Mother Earth News had all of their articles from issue 1 online in a searchable format.  I don't know what happened to it, but, I found this:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1982-01-01/Build-Your-Own-Home-Foundry.aspx

Dan

toowm

My son would love to do this.

Especially the microwave casting. :o

powerchuter

I know it "goes without saying"...
But I'll say it anyways for the uninitiated who might be reading this...

When processing any "scrap" metals by "burn-off"(which might be "illegal" depending on the method used and most probably the fumes from which would be very toxic in high concentrations) and melting/smelting...

You should be very much aware that unknown or undiscovered foreign substances might be present on/in/around the desired material...

The properties of these substances could be quite unhealthy for several reasons...
They could be extremely toxic with respect to fumes and, perhaps, contact with the actual substance or residue...
They most likely will have different properties which may cause them to act/not act in an acceptable or "safe" manner...

My honest, humble advice is to first learn all that you can...then learn more...lol.
Gather, assemble, and test safety devices/items/gear FIRST...
Gather, assemble, and test processing devices/items/gear next...

It CAN NOT be stressed enough that you should consider, and be prepared for, catastrophic failure at each/any/every point in the process...

For example...
Proper(high exchange rate) ventilation is a must!
Proper body protection is a must(not just safety glasses!?! - you should invest in, and wear, a full welder's hood with a clear lens to protect your entire face! - a welder's shirt and chaps would also protect against splash/spatter/minor spillage - good leather shoes/boots, no tennis shoes or any shoe with plastic/vinyl/etc.)

SAFETY FIRST!
ALWAYS!

penguins4me

Anyone else greatly amused by someone attempting to either copyright the phrase ".999 Fine Copper", or a 1-kg bar of copper? :D

-edit: photos
from ebay

[attachment deleted by admin]

PowerPenguin

Nice. Would I be correct in assuming that nickel has a higher melting point than copper? I would imagine so, given that it is harder at STP. I'm saving pre 1982 pennies and current nickels so when I get a huge load I'll sell them to whoever wants them at spot ;)

toowm

Looks like the good folks at the Liberty Dollar are filling a need...
QuotePre-issue announcement for all Liberty Dollar Supporters...

WOW... new... big... heavy... One Dollar Copper Liberty!

In our fight to defend your right to use gold, silver or anything of choice in commerce, we will issue a new $1 Copper Liberty within the next 100 days.  Each One Dollar Copper Liberty will feature the same designs, contain one ounce of pure copper and be the same size as the $20 Silver Liberty (39 mm).  For commodity money purists this is another big step.  For the numismatists, this is similar to the old "Large Cent" authorized by the Mint Act of 1972 and minted from 1793 to 1857.  The Large Cent contained one "cent" worth of copper.  My, how times and our money has changed.  This says a lot!  Now we are barely able to make and distribute a dollar copper for a buck!

Our first order is for only 10,000.  We are not sure if a re-order will be possible due to wild copper prices, which were almost double the current level just a few months ago.  But we have the opportunity to produce this unique Copper Liberty and invite you to place your pre-orders now, please.  All Liberty Associates can get the new $1 Copper Liberty for $0.90 each on a minimum of 10 Dollars.  Maximum order is 100 Coppers Libs at this pre-issue discounted price.

This Special Offer is limited to one week only! Expires at midnight (PDT) Monday, April 30.

LAWSUIT UPDATE:  Meanwhile, we are halfway through the 60 days the US government has to reply to our complaint.  They have until May 25th to reply.  Many thanks for all the donations, good wishes and prayers.  Please keep all three coming as we draw near to knowing the government's reasoning behind the US Mint warning.

Please call the office 888.LIB.DOLLAR or 888.421.6181 to make a donation or to order Copper Libertys, as it is so new, it is not yet available on the Shopping Cart.

Thanks again for all your support.

Bernard von NotHaus
Monetary Architect