• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Does anyone know of a legitimate way to make money and stay home?

Started by Raineyrocks, March 12, 2007, 10:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantrill

Quote from: raineyrocks on March 15, 2007, 04:57 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on March 15, 2007, 12:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on March 15, 2007, 11:28 AM NHFT
Thanks Quantrill!  I'm stuck in a rut right now, sucky depression gets a hold on me sometimes so I'm probably not going to do anything for right now anyway! 

You could collect stray cats and sell them to Chinese restaurants.

Oh my gosh, that is funny! After we moved here someone told us that this Chinese restaurant we used to go to a while back was shut down because the chicken wasn't really chicken, if you know what I mean.  I am so glad I was a vegetarian then but Rick and the kids were pretty grossed out, they've had sweet and sour chicken there plenty of times.

Hey as long as the sweet and sour chicken tastes like sweet and sour chicken who cares what it's "really" made of?

:)

Dan

Quote from: Quantrill on March 17, 2007, 12:25 AM NHFT
Hey as long as the sweet and sour chicken tastes like sweet and sour chicken who cares what it's "really" made of?

:)

That's pretty much what everyone does every time they order Chicken McNuggets.

maineiac

Quote from: raineyrocks on March 12, 2007, 11:59 AM NHFT
Thanks everybody!  I figured it sounded too good to be true.

I tried selling things on Ebay a couple of years ago, I really didn't make that much.  I guess I'll stick to my original idea and try to write a book, I've always wanted to.

Ha! You wait and see how hard writing a book is!

:-X

I've tried it.

The T-shirt idea does sound good Quantrill, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it though.  I thought I had a real neat invention last year, making ceiling fan covers for the fan paddles in any design people wanted so I bought a book on patenting and was so excited.  Well I looked on Ebay and other sites and tons of people were already doing it.

I hate when I think up a "new" invention and then BOOM next thing you know someone else comes out with it!

Yeah! I wrote a thing on t-shirts years ago, but I can't even load my own site at tripod.com anymore.  ???  It was an essay called "Freedom Shirts," I believe.

Maybe someone would be willing to post the link for me here--PM me if you can load tripod (I don't want just anybody knowing who I am!)

pfff :D

Please bear with me . . . I'm new to the thread!

maineiac

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on March 13, 2007, 12:55 PM NHFT
I own an apparel biz & it is good.  We do airbrush, embroidery, sublimation, & are toying w/the idea of doing screen printing.  Although I work w/2 screeners now & get such good prices from them it probably won't be worth it.

You could start at a hobby level w/a screening "kit" for less that $100 I think.  Print your shirts & sell them at flea markets, events, or online.  A single color shirt should cost you less than $2 to make (depends on what you pay for the shirt)& you can sell it for $5+  This way you won't be out a lot of money if it isn't for you.  In my area at least the competition is pretty fierce & we had to really work on our niche (luckily sublimation is great for athletic apparel & we have lots of national organizations in my area).

We also tried a natural candle company.  It hasn't worked out too well... but we really haven't marketed either.  I think it would be really good if we spent the time to do it.  It was less than $100 to get set up too... & if we sold all of what we had the ability to produce at retail it would have been a %300 return.  We still have everything to make them & are going to try again when we have more time.

Dude,

You are on phucking speed!

:o

:P

maineiac

Quote from: error on March 15, 2007, 12:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on March 15, 2007, 11:28 AM NHFT
Thanks Quantrill!  I'm stuck in a rut right now, sucky depression gets a hold on me sometimes so I'm probably not going to do anything for right now anyway! 

You could collect stray cats and sell them to Chinese restaurants.

Dude!

:-[

I have been called "Catman!"

SpeedPhreak

Quote from: maineiac on March 17, 2007, 10:36 PM NHFT

Dude,

You are on phucking speed!

:o

:P

sometimes I wish I was... it would probably make things easier. 

I have a plan & although outside forces seem hell bent on me not reaching my goals I am going to make them happen.

Raineyrocks

QuoteI have a plan & although outside forces seem hell bent on me not reaching my goals I am going to make them happen.

That's the spirit! :)  I believe you can and will make them happen, I like your attitude! ;D

PowerPenguin

Raineyrocks

Kat Kanning

I see rainey is now trying to impose regulations on air-flow  :o

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 12, 2007, 08:02 AM NHFT
I see rainey is now trying to impose regulations on air-flow  :o

But, but, but, it's for a good cause, see: :laughing6:

Cow Farts: Global Warmers Or A Load Of Hot Air?

August 05 2005

Scientists and farmers around the world are debating a very serious subject at the moment. Cow farts. Yes, really, they're talking about farting cows. They're talking about cow burps as well, and sheep burps, and even sheep farts.

Shows a photo of several creamy-coloured cows in a green field.    

Why? Good question. Let's start with a look at the science behind wind.

Farts and burps are basically pockets of gas that get released from human and animal bodies.

Some gas is swallowed, like oxygen, when we eat or talk. Some of it is created inside our bodies as we digest food.

This gassy mixture isn't useful, so our bodies push it out and away as best they can... in burps and farts. Got it so far? Hope you're not giggling by the way, this is very serious science.

One of the gases found in farts and burps is called 'methane'. A certain amount of methane in the atmosphere is natural, and is a good thing. Along with other so-called 'greenhouse gases' methane collects in the sky and traps warm air around our planet.

Problems begin when the layer of greenhouse gases gets too thick and traps too much heat. This is called 'global warming'.

To find out more about global warming check out this factsheet from Defra.
   Shows a screenshot from a web page, with text and a global-warming diagram.

It's now a proven fact that our planet is warming up very quickly. And, most scientists agree that this is because of greenhouse gases, including methane. Which takes us back to our farting farm animals.

A scientific report published in California last week claimed that dairy cows in the area were producing almost 20 pounds (in weight, that's almost 10 kg) of gas every year, each. That's a huge, huge amount.

Shows a photo of a grey cow's head. It has a yellow tag in its ear.    

If that figure is accurate, it could mean that cow farts were causing more global warming than pollution from cars in that region, as millions of cows live there.

Trouble is, the local farmers don't believe the report. They reckon their cows are far less windy than that and are questioning the way the research was done.

Scientists around the world have known for years that animal wind could be a problem. What they can't agree on is how much of a problem. It's very difficult to measure just how much methane an animal is burping and farting out.

Even if scientists manage to measure the size of the farts or burps, they then have to work out how much methane they contain.

Another problem is that methane doesn't only come from windy animals. It's released when rubbish is processed for instance... which means more measuring and more debate.

So how would you do it? (Take a measurement we mean, not fart.)

Got any bright ideas? As you'll know from science lessons it's very important to take accurate measurements when you're running an experiment. Otherwise, other scientists won't take your results seriously.

How might you capture any released wind, without hurting the animals and whilst making sure the conditions were similar to their field?

Would you be able to tell if a cow was holding its farts in until you'd gone?

How would you make sure your sheep wasn't too shy to burp?
it may sound silly, but making test conditions natural is a problem scientists grapple with.
   Shows a screenshot from a cartoon game, with a farting sheep standing by a road.

While you're thinking about it, you could have a go at Glasgow Science Centre's Climate Change Challenge (shown in their picture above) and spot the farty sheep?

If you do come up with any brainwaves to help farmers and scientists agree on the scale of their windy problem, why not use our Get In Touch page to tell us about it? Diagrams welcome too, and we'll publish the best on the site.

Back to being serious... funny though farts and burps can be, especially at certain moments in the schoolday, this is a real worry for farmers and scientists.

Global warming is a major problem, but we need our cows and sheep and they need to burp and fart. There's work going on to see if changing their food can make their farts and burps less potent - we'll keep you posted on that.

If you want to find out more about pollution, greenhouse gases or animals, why not visit your local science centre or natural history museum? Look in Places to Go for ideas.

Online and on a closely-related subject, you can play with the Science Museum's Energy Ninjas, helping them on a global warming mission.

The ninjas are fighting to keep levels of carbon dioxide, another greenhouse gas, as low as possible.

? Science Museum.
   Shows a screenshot from an animated game. Three ninjas wearing black, with coloured headbands, fly over a forest.

One last thing - keep your fart-measuring inventions as theory only won't you? We don't want to hear about sheep or cows being chased around fields by over-keen Show Me surfers - farm animals like a quiet life.

Cow photos ? 24 Hour Museum.

Anra Kennedy

PowerPenguin

Rainey,

Today, my company changed its product pricing. Now you can get a bulk discount on anonymous LLCs. Basically, you buy three, and you get the fourth free, plus each LLC now comes with free Resident Agent fees for five (5) years. That's basically half price! One could buy the entire package, then sell all four of the LLCs for the regular non bulk rate for a good profit. Also, there is of course the ever popular free customer affiliate program (please use referrer username "andrew" [no quotes] if you decide to join).

Have you found any useful leads yet, Rainey?