• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

If this doesn't belong...

Started by KBCraig, April 04, 2005, 03:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Mods, please move this if it's inappropriate. I'm copying a post I made to the FSP Forum/Policitics and Philosophy/General Libertian Discussion/Suffrage thread.

Comments are welcome. Text of original post follows:

Let me relate the experience of my courtship.

When we met in 2001, we didn't talk politics, but we were instantly attracted to one another by a common respect for intelligence, appreciation of literacy, and love of a shared sense of humor.

This was about as close to "love at first sight" as two reasonable people are likely to come; we wed 6-1/2 months after we met. Roughly 5 months into the courtship, some trivial political matter came up. She declared emphatically that she was a Democrat, her entire family were Democrats, and she believed in the Democrat party because "they're for the little people".

At this point I knew her well enough to know that she didn't keep up on political matters, and had seldom voted. She grew up, as the comedian said, "poohrer than poohr; we wuz pore!" She was also a struggling small business owner banging out 60-70 hours per week; and a single mother of two, who refused to take any assistance because she'd been raised by a non-working mother on the dole.

I didn't push the issue of party affiliation at the time. I knew where her heart and mind lay. She was just too damn busy clothing, feeding, and sheltering her kids, not to mention paying for private school for one of them because the public school system had totally failed his special learning needs.

Fast-forward, to early 2005. By this point, just by casual conversation and gradual education, she totally rejected the Democrat party and understood that the Democrats did not stand for what she thought they did. She actively identified as a libertarian. She'd have shot her own children before voting for John Kerry. I casually mentioned that my employer might close down our current location, so we need to to examine other locations.

Me: "They're planning one in New Hampshire."
She: "Are you kidding? When can we go?"
Me: "Well... I was just sorta kidding, baby. But they won't be opening it for 3-4 more years."
She: "I don't care. We're moving as soon as we can!"
Me: "By the way, New Hampshire is the target state of the Free State Project. Let me fill you in..."

SWMBO has spoken!

;D

Sorry, guys. She's mine!

Kevin

Kat Kanning

Cool story, thanks!  Looking forward to meeting you and your special lady. :)