• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Private, For-Profit Policing

Started by tracysaboe, April 30, 2007, 09:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I have no problem with private policing, so long as they restrict themselves to the property and people who hired them.

But private-cum-government, I have a big problem with. South (North?) Carolina allows "private police" full arrest authority. It's the worst of both worlds.

dalebert

I think the idea of police would become outdated if we just promoted a culture of people being more able to protect themselves. However, I have no problem with some kind of police as long as they have no more authority or power than the average free person. I do have a problem with public police for two reasons (off the top of my head; maybe more). First, they DO have too much power and some are bound to abuse it. Second, they are paid with stolen money.

David

I wonder if they would have less resistance from even the drug dealers, if they promise to turn a blind eye at some places or times, in exchange they must sell in peace.  Co-opting may work better.  Interesting story, thanks Ytsvu

cyberdoo78

I believe they would have less resistance. Imagine yourself a drug dealer, not much of a stretch for some of us, the cops come up to you and say this, 'Mr. Drug Dealer, you are in violation of the law. If you do not stop it, we will be forced to take pictures of you and your clients in transaction and publicly publish them.'

If this is what every drug dealer in the US were faced with, I doubt it would ever turn violent. Sure, there will be some people who are crazy and initiate force, however for the most part drug dealers use guns against those who threaten them, not those who punish them.

I know, it sounds silly, maybe it wouldn't work. Perhaps we should try it and see.

I'd try it personally but I don't think drug dealers are doing anything wrong. In fact I should like to see drugs available to anyone who wants them and see them in the grocery store without any controls. Please don't bother to talk about how kids could do drugs and about other hypothetical situations. Netherlands has enough proof that readily available drugs don't cause the problems most people think would happen after doing this.