• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Crashing news conferences

Started by Dave Ridley, April 04, 2005, 09:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: CNHT on December 27, 2005, 04:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on December 19, 2005, 05:52 PM NHFT
It almost makes me like Buchanan. :)

Buchanan's town chair here. He's a great guy. What makes you say he's not libertarian Lloyd?
He's a populist and many libertarians fit that description.

What Buchanan are we talking about?  I know Pat Buchanan is not a libertarian.  He is a paleoconservative.  I've heard him a dozen times on Lewrockwell and listened to him many times on TV.  I like the guy, but he's not a libertatian.

If it is another Buchanan, my fault.

CNHT

Quote from: zackbass on December 28, 2005, 12:07 AM NHFT

Quote from: CNHT on December 27, 2005, 04:24 PM NHFT

Buchanan's town chair here. He's a great guy. What makes you say he's not libertarian Lloyd?
He's a populist and many libertarians fit that description.

No, Lloyd's right.? Considering that 99.99% of people in this society are violently opposed to libertarian Principles, it's hard to imagine anything less compatible with libertarianism and individualism than populism and "the people".

Funny you should say this but I know a lot of people calling themselves 'libertarians' that act more like populists and even liberals.  I think they are destroying us. To me populist simply means the importance is on the people rather than the government...the people have more rights than the gov't to which I'm sure you would agree.
Buchanan is a basic conservative but not in the strict Republican sense. So to me he is a true libertarian.

KBCraig

Quote from: CNHT on December 28, 2005, 09:53 AM NHFT
Funny you should say this but I know a lot of people calling themselves 'libertarians' that act more like populists and even liberals.  I think they are destroying us. To me populist simply means the importance is on the people rather than the government...the people have more rights than the gov't to which I'm sure you would agree.

I think of a populist as a slogan-slinging jingoist, a good ole boy making promises that appeal to the "common man". "A chicken in every pot" is a classic example. If you want to see a current example of a pure populist, take a look at Kinky Friedman's run for Texas governor.

Kevin