• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Eminent Domain Hearing March 19th at City Hall - Roundabout Project

Started by bobnh26, March 16, 2007, 01:12 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

bobnh26

I was at the City Council Meeting last night and our illustrious Mayor put an open hearing on the docket for Monday night (March 19th).  I have contacted the Castle Coalition to list this event.  Come one, come all, tell your friends to come to the meeting in support of Tom Eaton's right to property and voice opinions (outrage) at the overstepping of bounds of the City Council on this widely opposed, expensive and unnecessary roundabout project.

Public Hearing - Acquisition of Property by Eminent Domain
   6:00 PM-8:30 PM (#Council Chambers, City Hall)

Castle Coalition shop:
http://www.ij.org/freedommarket/scripts/product_special_wImages.asp

Bruehound

Consider doing robo- calls to increase attendance. Every homeowner should be aware they could be next and that this is unamerican.

Kat Kanning

TackleTheWorld

The council chamber was overflowing with people.  Former councilmen mentioned they'd never seen such a big crowd there before.  Most spoke against the roundabout because of the cost, the lack of gridlock and many didn't want property to be stolen by eminent domain. 
Some people spoke in favor of the roundabout because they wanted traffic to be more efficient and greenhouse gasses to be reduced.  One lady was for the roundabout because the current intersection causes cars to idle in the historic district stressing the aging foundations.  Strange how the green-loving people weren't against the roundabout because it would cut down many trees.

I pointed out 3 things:  The unusually high number of activists who would oppose ED in Keene, The immorality of stealing, and the result of ED in New London, CT - namely a reform party was formed that ousted one-third of the city council- and I didn't want Keene to be vilified as New London was. Oh, and one more thing: If the city council takes land for a mere traffic inconvenience, how much land will they take when faced with a bigger problem?

KBCraig

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on March 19, 2007, 09:10 PM NHFT
If the city council takes land for a mere traffic inconvenience, how much land will they take when faced with a bigger problem?

+karma for the ninja kitten.  8)

earthhaven

I was surprised at the amount of people who were in favor of ED, although they were outnumbered. I liked Mark FTL's big yellow sign, "Eminent domain = stealing." I told them that I did not want to be morally responsible for the taking of another person's property, and ED makes everyone partially responsible.

Russell Kanning

.... everyone that votes and pay taxes. That is a great point.

Kat Kanning

The council chamber was overflowing with people.  Former councilmen mentioned they'd never seen such a big crowd there before.  Most spoke against the roundabout because of the cost, the lack of gridlock and many didn't want property to be stolen by eminent domain. 
Some people spoke in favor of the roundabout because they wanted traffic to be more efficient and greenhouse gasses to be reduced.  One lady was for the roundabout because the current intersection causes cars to idle in the historic district stressing the aging foundations.  Strange how the green-loving people weren't against the roundabout because it would cut down many trees.

I pointed out 3 things:  The unusually high number of activists who would oppose ED in Keene, The immorality of stealing, and the result of ED in New London, CT - namely a reform party was formed that ousted one-third of the city council- and I didn't want Keene to be vilified as New London was. Oh, and one more thing: If the city council takes land for a mere traffic inconvenience, how much land will they take when faced with a bigger problem?

I hope you don't mind if I print this?

FTL_Ian

earthhaven

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 21, 2007, 11:49 AM NHFT
Isn't there another public meeting tomorrow?

Yes, followed by a final vote. There will be no public input allowed.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 21, 2007, 11:05 AM NHFT

I hope you don't mind if I print this?

I don't mind.

earthhaven

The Keene City Council voted in favor of eminent domain action. Tom Eaton, the land owner, may appeal.

I'm not sure who voted in favor of this as of yet, but we should do everything we can to make sure they don't get re-elected.

jshmukatelli

You should hold their feet to this particular fire every chance you get.  Big city "event", y'all should be there with roll-call-of-shame signs, something like "The following city councilors support property piracy: [insert thieves names here]"

Speaking of who voted for what, their own website has fairly up-to-date info on apparently everything, including meeting agendas and minutes.  Check this out:

www.ci.keene.nh.us/onlineservices/minutes_and_agendas.htm

Kat Kanning

Interesting choice of words..."Tilting at windmills".

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

UPDATE: Eaton won't appeal eminent domain decision

Freeman Klopott
Sentinel Staff

There will be no appeal from former state senator Thomas R. Eaton of the city council's decision to use eminent domain to acquire land it needs to build a roundabout on lower Main Street.

Last month the Keene City Council voted 9-4 to pursue using eminent domain to claim a piece of Eaton's property for the proposed roundabout for the intersection of Main, Marlboro and Winchester streets.

Eaton's property, a 4,227-square-foot plot at 33 Marlboro St., is essential to the project, city officials have said. And, the project serves the public interest, they have said - one of the prime considerations in judging a case of eminent domain.

The decision was made on March 22, and Eaton had 30 days to decide if he would accept selling the land to the city. If Eaton decided not to sell, he could still appeal the decision to the N.H. Board of Tax and Land Appeals, which handles 60 or so eminent domain challenges a year.

But Eaton told The Sentinel this morning that he does not plan on challenging the eminent domain proceedings.

"We've run the course ... because eminent domain is such a strong law. It's like tilting at windmills," Eaton said.

error

:(

So is he going to sell the whole parcel or just that little strip?

And maybe he'll come out and tilt at the windmills across the street next week! :)